Why is tech suddenly the in thing for new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like many people have stated here...it's all about the money...as in any sport out there that offers newer and better equipment. The only problem is that with many of those sports out there, you can't lose your life or cause someone else to lose theirs. And you can't blame the dive shops for wanting to make $$...that's why they are in business. But I do blame them for pressuring new divers to lay down large amounts of cash for equipment that they KNOW the new diver is probably not ready for. But hey...BUYER BEWARE!!!

Well, I'm not a Tech Diver. Sounds "technical" to me, with TriMix, etc. Personally, I'd go nuts on a Deco. I've read all the books, and the advantages of not getting narced sound good. However....there is the other side, more and more gear.

I've seen both sides of the LDS. First, in your OW, you want to copy the instructor. I am working on my instructor cert, and the LDS I am working with goes out of their way to get what is RIGHT for the customer, with no pressure. The LDS works on repeat customers, by treating them right - ALL THE TIME.

As for the newbies, sometimes you don't even know the right question to ask. I know I didn't when I started (and sometimes still don't). I absolutely agree that a diver needs to dive the best gear they can. With that good gear comes a comfort level in the water. Beyond all else, if a diver isn't comfortable at depth with their gear AND their skills, problems can happen. Worse, they may give up the sport.

However, I see way too many divers all decked out, and they have very poor skills. I see the same thing on the ski slopes, too. Fancy gear doesn't equate to skills. Some people don't want to know stuff, and don't take pointers very well, be it ego, poor attitude, whatever. We can all be better.

But it seems from the posts, that everyone is blaming the LDS for what they perceive is going on (selling a lot of tech gear to beginner divers). Perhaps the customer is insistent on what they are to buy, or simply misunderstood the information they got. Maybe the customer ultimately wants to get Tech certified, or cave certified. Who is to say?

I do know when I bought my first set-ups, I made some mistakes in gear choices. I bought stuff that was okay, but I mixed brands in reg/octo, and the LDS I really like didn't service that brand. Also, I bought too low end, as I was buying 5 setups for my family. I don't like the idead of renting on a trip, as I have had some not-so-good experiences with rental agencies at dive sites.

For anyone buying gear, it is an investment. If you have good gear, dive with it often, and you will get good at it. However, a C-card does not a diver make. It's the STARTING point of diving. Learn to nail your skills, have perfect buoyancy and buoyancy skills, practice your mask removal and rescue drills, and dive, dive, DIVE!!!!

If you're only doing blue water dives to 60 feet, you don't need a deep-water tech rig. Ditto for computers. You don't need a gas switching super gizmo. HOWEVER, if you think you'll be diving deeper, the odds are you will get Nitrox certified (it's only a class), and so you'll want to be sure to buy your original gear that can handle Nitrox.

On the BC's, buy what works for you, fits well, and is COMFORTABLE. No use getting a deal, if it fits poorly, has no accessories, isn't weight integrated, etc. Yes, they're expensive, but you can also get them used. The nice thing about any LDS, is they'll let you try them in the pool, or do a rental/purchase. Yes, the LDS does have to pay a light bill, and employees to help you, give you advice, etc., so they may not be as cheap as online. But when your online thing breaks, can you get a free loaner -right away - while your equipment is being fixed under warranty? Remember if you buy something new, you should make sure it has a manufacturer's warranty. I bought a wetsuit a couple years back, in an online sale. First trip out, the zipper broke. I sent it in and they fixed it - in 9 weeks.......

So, I wouldn't beat up the gear. If you're ever concerned you're being oversold something, talk to the LDS manager. I have never seen an oversell occur, in all the shops I've been in across the country.

We end up with a group of people without the knowledge or training to handle the gear safely swimming around with 260cf of gas on their backs and a huge window of opportunity to get themselves or somebody else into some real trouble. And everyone is getting in line to do the same.
That's ok, as soon as rebreathers get just a little more affordable, the newbies will skip OC entirely and go straight to a rebreather so they can be really cool. Darwin will take care of it from that point. :shocked2:

That's ok, as soon as rebreathers get just a little more affordable, the newbies will skip OC entirely and go straight to a rebreather so they can be really cool. Darwin will take care of it from that point. :shocked2:

Can't wait to see people signing up for the free "Discover Normoxic TriMix CCR Cave Diving" resort course!

:D

I can see you are joking but I am sure that it will be only a matter of years before what you say is true. OC is notoriously inefficient and a true bulletproof, easy to use rebreather will eventually be standard for all beginning OW students.

Sure that will take a while but the demand is there. It's just that the technology has not been improved enough yet.

I can see you are joking but I am sure that it will be only a matter of years before what you say is true. OC is notoriously inefficient and a true bulletproof, easy to use rebreather will eventually be standard for all beginning OW students.

Sure that will take a while but the demand is there. It's just that the technology has not been improved enough yet.

Well, since the vast majority of current and potential scuba divers have no earthly idea what a CCR is I'm not sure you can say "the demand is there." Further, if the average ScubaBoard poster is "the norm" of the potential target audience you're suggesting, CCRs will not become anything approaching "standard" until they cost $399 at an LDS, and LeisurePro sells them for $139 with free shipping.

Never mind the obvious need to be able to do e-learning for the academics, four pool dives at home, and a referral certification at some resort all for $299.

Perhaps someone will write a new distinctive specialty for PADI: "Pay And Die Immediately"

I think another negative side effect of this phenomenon is that more and more divers think technical diving has more to do w/ the equipment than with the mindset, the training and procedures, and the personal assumption of risk. I can't tell you how many times I've walked onto a boat or pulled up at the quarry to find someone gushing about their new "tech rig", but they haven't a clue as to what it is, what it does, or how to use it. You can tell from a mile away that this person has no need for the equipment and is ill-equipped to use it. Unfortuntately, other people see and hear them and want the same stuff. So there is a divide out there between the divers who need the gear to accomplish their goals and the ones that just want to look cool wearing it. We end up with a group of people without the knowledge or training to handle the gear safely swimming around with 260cf of gas on their backs and a huge window of opportunity to get themselves or somebody else into some real trouble. And everyone is getting in line to do the same.

I agree 100%. When I cave dive I use my "tech" gear, if I am teaching or doing a recreational dive, I am in "rec" gear. After some of these "tech" wannabe's haul doubles around enough, and some of the other gear that's involved, they will be glad to get into a "rec" setup. I dive DIR, until it comes to OW dives, then it's a Zeagle Ranger and no long hose for me. I allow my skills to speak up as to what kind of diver I am, not my gear.

Well, since the vast majority of current and potential scuba divers have no earthly idea what a CCR is I'm not sure you can say "the demand is there." Further, if the average ScubaBoard poster is "the norm" of the potential target audience you're suggesting, CCRs will not become anything approaching "standard" until they cost $399 at an LDS, and LeisurePro sells them for $139 with free shipping.

Never mind the obvious need to be able to do e-learning for the academics, four pool dives at home, and a referral certification at some resort all for $299.

Perhaps someone will write a new distinctive specialty for PADI: "Pay And Die Immediately"

Students don't know anything but what we teach them. If they start on CCR that will be then know as gear for beginners.

I admit I am talking long term but there is a demand. A demand from the scuba industry rather than the students of course.

A rebreather that requires almost no maintenance, is easy to use, easy to learn on and reliable will be a boon for everyone.

Sure it looks unlikely but the Macintosh computer is 25 years old today. It's safe to say things have come a long way in that industry in a short amount of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom