Why is there no alert system on the perdix ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Etmutt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all

I ve read here and there that alert systems are for bad divers and who aren’t grown up enough to look at their computer with the consistency needed and so on…. Even read that it would be dangerous..

I happend to think that an alert system, be it audio or vibration is a must have feature on even the most basic computer.

Although we should always know where we are in our dive, the amount of deco, the ppo2 and so on, we take a computer with us so that we make our life easier and that we don’t have to spend our dives doing math. It is also a security, since it helps to prevent mistakes. IMO, an alert system is also there to make our life easier and I don’t see how someone could turn around a security feature into something dangerous.

I do would like to have a configurable alert system, so that if I ever deviate significantly from my dive parameters, something wakes me up from my narcosis or my task load.

Don’t you guys agree?

Completely agree, it would literally save lives, the lack of that feature is the only thing I dislike about my Shearwater computers. Especially for rebreather computers where it can really matter. It's stupid that they don't have the option.

Although the alerts would need to be optional and customizable. Shearwater is generally good at that though.

Wake me when there is a computer available to do the dive for me so I can stay in bed

Although the alerts would need to be optional and customizable. Shearwater is generally good at that though.
I agree, nobody wants a live show when under water. From a high end computer I would expect a very fine level of control and customization

Hello all
I've read here and there that alert systems are for bad divers and who aren’t grown up enough to look at their computer with the consistency needed and so on…. Even read that it would be dangerous.. I happen to think that an alert system, be it audio or vibration is a must have feature on even the most basic computer. Although we should always know where we are in our dive, the amount of deco, the ppo2 and so on, we take a computer with us so that we make our life easier and that we don’t have to spend our dives doing math. It is also a security, since it helps to prevent mistakes. IMO, an alert system is also there to make our life easier and I don’t see how someone could turn around a security feature into something dangerous.

I do would like to have a configurable alert system, so that if I ever deviate significantly from my dive parameters, something wakes me up from my narcosis or my task load. Don’t you guys agree?

It is one of the things I like about my Perdix, I don't need a baby sitter and you do have visual alerts, so you should have time to look at your DC a few times on a dive yes? I've been on dives where other divers alerts are going off and they point at me. They don't even know the sound of their own alerts lol.. If the Perdix had an audio alert that would be fine by me but I would be looking for a way to turn it off. I started diving when we only had tables and watches and no dive computers so an audio alarm not for me. I hear lot's of them on dives and they are never mine lol.

Perhaps read this tread Teric AI vs. Perdix AI?

I happend to think that an alert system, be it audio or vibration is a must have feature on even the most basic computer.
Each to their own, even if it did I wouldn't have it turned on. There's nothing more annoying than someone nearby beeping their arse off the whole dive lol
You could always sell it and get the Teric if you need a babysitter :D

I started diving when we only had tables and watches and no dive computers so an audio alarm not for me. I hear lot's of them on dives and they are never mine lol.
For me the use case would be for significant deviations. Like if my ppo2 turns at 2, I would like my computer to immediately alert me in every possible way. Would even mind to have the screen turning stroboscopic 🤣
hopefully that would wake me up from what ever issue I m having and save a life

Reactions: OTF
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom