Why is this not the standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NickPhillips

Registered
Reaction score
I finally finished piecing together my bp/wing and am in love. I am curious why bp/wings (usually) are only a 'tec' thing. They seem to be optimal and I am curious why this would not be a first choice for any diver? Is it because bcd's are just easy for the occasional ow diver? I am getting ready for my TDI Deco class and am very excited. Here is my new set up:

Halcyon basic harness
Halcyon SS backplate
Halcyon backplate storage pad
Dive rite STA w/ cam straps
Hollis S25 wing

My doubles set up will be ordered soon.

I'm curious about the same thing. My set-up is used for rec diving only. No plans for tec. It is much simpler and more comfortable for me, but to each his own. I've been told it is cost, but BC's seem pretty expensive too.

I can't understand why the standard is putting the tank on your back, sidemount is so much easier to deal with and you can just add tanks as needed.

I can't understand why the standard is putting the tank on your back, sidemount is so much easier to deal with and you can just add tanks as needed.

Might be wrong but I'm told it is harder to walk across the beach and traverse the surf zone with side-mount.:D

its has to do with teaching new divers and their panic level. There is a little man in the back of your head that screams when your face is in the water on the surface. With the wing, there is more of a tendance to face plant on the surface and with a jacket style bc they tend to keep you upright... thats the answer I get when I ask...and I ask quite a bit, especially when diving with a new shop...

My guess is that since it takes like 3 minutes to fit a bp/w and 10 seconds to fit a jacket bc, the jacket bc wins.

Since I am now a cross over, so I also wonder why hogarthian isn't standard, and why PADI OW doesn't teach that. Long hose for donation and bungee for backup just make so much sense. Bp/W with basic harness is so much more. However, I really only started to appreciate this method after I tried it tho. It take a open minded diver, who is willing to try things that is counter intuitive.

I used to have lots of reservation about hogarthian style. The questions I asked when I see hogarthian setup were like this: why do I want to donate what I am breathing and go to octo myself? why not my OOA go for my octo instead? Why do I need a long hose for donation since I am holding onto my bubby's BC (Remember PADI OW class) already? Why use that low tech, cheap looking, uncomfortable looking, 2 inch webbing why I can have a comfort harness with quick release (like DR translate)? why only one d-ring per shoulder? They are not enough. Why no weight integration and storage pockets? ............

All of us, who adapted this style of diving know the answer to these questions. But for new divers, none makes sense even if someone tell them.

I believe bog-standard, recreational OW diving is pretty simple- respect a few rules and then go and have fun. One doesn't need to go Hogarthian or BP/W to start going underwater to play with fish.

Although I support divers doing things differently (and arguably better), I don't think you need to change the system to get people started in the sport of recreational OW diving.

Everyone likes things the way they like em.....I think BP/W is pretty useless but then again I don't like tanks on my back anymore. BTW, walking with tanks on in SM and in surf.....super easy, nice and low center of gravity makes balance and stability a snap

Personal opinion really....

I know some people that are just way more comfortable in a standard back inflate BCD. For the odd time I dive back mounted tanks now, which is only down south, I dive a scout bcd.....i had a bp/w for when i was diving back mount doubles, could have easily set it for singles but why, my scout does everything a bp/w does, plus being more comfortable, and easier to don and doff on the boat. Sold the BP/W and never looked back.

Do what works for you.....the not so great thing about standardization is that not everything works for everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom