Why it should be LAW that people should get certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbeast1414

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey you guys!

So for my English AP class we have to do a 10 minute memorized speech on a debatable topic of our choice. I decided to take a whimsically approach and talk about something that I love and know a little bit about.

My idea is this: It should be Federal Law that all people physically and financially able need to get SCUBA certified before the age of 15.

Claims (so far and these are all crazy, brainstorm type ideas): If ice caps melt, being certified people could survive the initial flooding.
Create a world-wide activity that provides common ties between people of all nationalities and races.
Creates a limitless industry which would provides millions of jobs.
Government could tax the dive shops creating federal income.
Government could purchase pieces of ocean that charge people to enter (marine parks).
Creates a love for the ocean shared by most of humanity which would combat our environmental problems.

I know it needs a lot of work and these are just all the claims I could think of so I know many aren't good but any input would be greatly appreciative. Counter arguments also welcome because I need to address them in my speech.

THANK YOU!:D

Hey you guys!

So for my English AP class we have to do a 10 minute memorized speech on a debatable topic of our choice. I decided to take a whimsically approach and talk about something that I love and know a little bit about.

My idea is this: It should be Federal Law that all people physically and financially able need to get SCUBA certified before the age of 15.

Claims (so far and these are all crazy, brainstorm type ideas): If ice caps melt, being certified people could survive the initial flooding.
Create a world-wide activity that provides common ties between people of all nationalities and races.
Government could purchase pieces of ocean that charge people to enter (marine parks).
Creates a love for the ocean shared by most of humanity which would combat our environmental problems.

I know it needs a lot of work and these are just all the claims I could think of so I know many aren't good but any input would be greatly appreciative. Counter arguments also welcome because I need to address them in my speech.

Have you read Nineteen Eighty-Four?

For that to be a debatable topic, it would have to in fact be something that could be reasonably supported as well as reasonably opposed. Else it isn't debatable.

This is not reasonably supportable.

If you want something scuba related though, consider the question of if scuba divers should be licensed by the state, or if there should be federal standards for scuba training, or if there should be a law that divers must be certified, and so on. There are plenty of legitimately debatable questions related to the scuba industry.

One more Federal Law may spark an armed revolt (no matter the cause/benefit.) Pick another subject to discuss in class.

EDIT: 1984 is a book. You may want to read it or see the movie (book is better.)

I think you should pick a new topic for your English class. With 0-24 dives on your log book there is a WHOLE lot more you can learn before starting a fantasy essay that will probably get you a mediocre grade. Your teacher and classmates just aren't going to understand you.

And you sure aren't going to win brownie points for your government interventions--tax the dive shops, tax the oceans. Are you in high school?

I think you should pick a new topic for your English class. With 0-24 dives on your log book there is a WHOLE lot more you can learn before starting a fantasy essay that you will probably get a mediocre grade on. Your teacher and classmates just aren't going to understand you.

And you sure aren't going to win brownie points for your government interventions--tax the dive shops, tax the oceans. Are you in high school?

Yep. My teacher said it had potential but after reading your comments, maybe not so much...

Hey you guys!

This I hope is a joke. Who is to determin someones physical and financial ability. I think forcing someone to do something outside there element is just un-human. We are not designed for water and therefor take great caution and safety in doing so. A lot of people cant swim and others are just not cut out to be swimmers and divers. This would be so wrong on every level it is almost not even worth "debating". I hope you see my point on this and as you can see I am for the opposing side.

Scuba as a sport already does this just fine.

As for this as a whole it just upsets me. I do not want our goverment taxing or touching or having anything what so ever to do with my sport. I like it just the way it is and they do not need to be involved. The last one is a nice thought but the folks (goverment) that would be involved would not give a **** about the environment and would only care how they could make money off it.

I am for the other side on this.. no offence.

Back
Top Bottom