Why Jeremy Anschel works for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today the request was for a seahorse so Jeremy found the biggest seahorse I have ever seen. He followed that up with a few pipe horses, including a juvie less tha. A half inch in length. Honest to God, I don't know how he sees these things!

Drives me crazy when he points out in the blue and gets all excited. I look and look, absolutely nothing but blue. Either he has superman eagle eyes or he just likes blue :) (Today it was allegedly a shark, I gathered that much from the hand placed vertically on his head - but I swear there was no shark, unless it was a blue shark in the blue? A pygmy shark?)

In any case, I experienced a different dive op for a while today. Mike and I were hanging back at a no-name site he called Cedar Mountain on the 2nd dive (63' for 76 min for my logbook's sake). I really didn't notice that another group caught up with us until I saw a guy with one of those underchin full beards and I knew he wasn't on the boat. Eventually realized I had been kidnapped. I looked around quite bewildered. Their DM made a "buddy up" sign followed by a "no no" sign, following by pointing out in the blue. OK, that I understood, it was "get the F out of here because you're not paying me". But I lingered for a bit, wondering if maybe our group was somehow magically transformed. He repeated his signage, more insistently this time. OK, sure, but how did I know he was pointing me in the right direction? It's a big ocean out there. Finally, on his third signal, I got the hint and bailed out of there, hoping I'd eventually come across Jeremy and our boat load.

After kicking like mad in a solo sprint, flying with the current for a few minutes, I noticed more bubbles. I was home! For my troubles, the lady with the grey split fins who had stuck her finger in my ear during the previous dive, claiming that her light was tangled in my BC, promptly swam by and kicked me hard in the head without seeming to notice. I took my punishment, vowed to stay even further away from her the next time. We finished our dive and all was well.

Tomorrow, the threesome/foursome (the lady who bent her computer the other day was allegedly out today after allegedly being stung by something that allegedly swelled up her hand) is getting Devil's Throat as they had requested. If Jeremy wants me to follow her in the lineup through the hole, I shall borrow a motorcycle helmet!

First dive was Columbia Deep, 113' for 56 min. Darn Suunto kept beeping at me after 111', something lame about exceeding a 1.4 ppO2. So I reset my alarm to 1.5. I have no desire to do the Throat again (been there done that is all I can say about that site), but the threesome/foursome did it yesterday and apparently can't get enough. Me, I just want to stay with the Jewfish so my camera has a nice tank to rest in, so I guess I'm going where it goes.

MMM, get yourself a magnifying glass. I've been using one since 2003-4. Always sorry when I've neglected to carry it with me. Other divers (even those with very young eyes) get quite a kick out of looking at the littlest things through my glass. Have also gifted them to DMs over the years.

Greg, can't wait to see the picture.
I've actually been looking for a good magnifying glass for diving and gardening on Amazon. Any recommendations?
So, Where's this frog fish picture?

I've actually been looking for a good magnifying glass for diving and gardening on Amazon. Any recommendations?
I got mine at the grocery store. It's about 6" in diameter, glass with a plastic frame. I drilled a hole in the handle, ran a line through the hole and put a carabiner on the line, and presto! It's dive gear! :D

i didn't bring my laptop so it will need to wait until I am home. Unless Mossman uploads his first. I think he goes home before I do anyways. His might be better anyways. He has a gazillion dollar camera and I have a point and shoot.

---------- Post added June 19th, 2013 at 05:11 PM ----------

I got mine at the grocery store. It's about 6" in diameter, glass with a plastic frame. I drilled a hole in the handle, ran a line through the hole and put a carabiner on the line, and presto! It's dive gear! :D

i went more upscale...bought mine at Canadian Tire! Did the same thing though with drilling a hole etc.

Bought a bunch of mine at Dollar Store. Just make sure it is glass not plastic lense. That said, the other day found a nice one at medical supply place, not too pricey and already has a lovely hole in the handle. This reminds me to go and pick it up. :)

i didn't bring my laptop so it will need to wait until I am home. Unless Mossman uploads his first. I think he goes home before I do anyways. His might be better anyways. He has a gazillion dollar camera and I have a point and shoot.
Gazillion dollar camera was worthless on the second dive today. I have a malfunctioning switch on my housing: once it's pushed to manual focus it stays in manual focus (Light & Motion supposedly fixed it last time I had the housing serviced, but they really didn't). So at some point, while handing the camera up to the crew or maybe while it was bouncing in the camera tank, switch got set to manual. Focusing a 105mm macro lens on a drift dive on moving subjects is basically impossible. I got one shot of the head of a baby turtle during all 73 minutes of the second dive, the rest of the time it was basically a paper weight. (And that's why I lost our group, spending a few minutes attempting to focus on a juvie queen angel which ended up disappearing in the coral anyway.)

But one shot I nailed yesterday, a juvie smooth trunkfish (the one I pointed out to you after I was done) face to face with a juvie green blotch parrotfish, that was worth it all. Also got the same ping pong ball facing me with his cute little lips all puckered up. Will definitely post some stuff Sunday.

---------- Post added June 19th, 2013 at 06:06 PM ----------

Today the request was for a seahorse so Jeremy found the biggest seahorse I have ever seen. He followed that up with a few pipe horses, including a juvie less tha. A half inch in length. Honest to God, I don't know how he sees these things!
It's entirely possible he's a cyborg. I'll have to stab him sometime and see if he bleeds real blood :)

I own and use on every dive a 5 " Glass magnifying glass. I had a plastic magnifier at first but it stratched up very easily. I am sorry but I do not remember from where I bought it, but it was an online item. I actually have two just to have a spare if I lose the first one.

Mossman.... me, mmm & George are back on the boat tomorrow so maybe the foursome will go on the other boat again???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom