Why Long Hose Follow up - Air Sharing Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How could the panicky diver choke you with your lose hose? While your primary is in your mouth, the hose runs around the BACK of your neck. When you grab it and offer it to the OOG diver, the loop is no longer behind your neck and is out in front you.

I'll be changing to a long hose and am interested in best practices for a photographer with a large camera housing and a pair of large strobes. I assume with a panicked diver I may need to drop my housing regardless of configuration but with a calm, familiar buddy, I would think a long hose would be much more comfortable if I was able to keep hold of the housing.

Yes - assuming that you have your left hand free, it shouldn't be too hard to hold the rig in your left hand, which then allows you to perform the donation entirely with your right hand, including switching to your necklace reg. Then you can clip off your rig to your left hip or chest D-ring.

The only time you might need two hands with the long hose is if you have a corded light and need to do a quick sweep under and over motion to keep it from being twisted with the long hose.

Are you assuming a smooth donation by two calm and experienced divers? The theory of the long hose is that a panicked diver will attempt to take the regulator from your mouth. Potentially the panicked, out of air diver aggressively takes the regulator before you are aware of the situation. This could create a second, avoidable , calamity

When the other diver is panicking, grabs your long hose aggressively choking you with the hose itself , how do you react??

You autonomically dip your head down, that's what I did. Way before I understood what was going on.
There was no "aggressive choking." It was remarkably smooth and fast. I highly recommend it.
(and, oh yeah, we were both horizontal under water).

Thanks.

I suppose that is possible but my rig is huge and will be noticeable if tethered. I don't know your Olympus model and how long your tether is. I have a Full Frame, Pro size Nikon D3s body in an Aquatica Housing with a pair of Ikelite DS161 Strobes on long, multi-joint arms plus a focus light. The ports and domes are also very large. It is close to neutrally buoyant but would sink at depth.

I'd offer the same comment I do to people that ride really expensive motorcycles without protecting themselves.

It's gonna suck when you drop it.

When the other diver is panicking, grabs your long hose aggressively choking you with the hose itself , how do you react??

I berate myself for not donning the hose correctly.

A properly configured long hose will come out smoothly and with no grab at all in a panick-grab scenario. You'll find your secondary right under your chin where you left it.

My long hose is bright orange. Easier for buddy to check proper routing during S drills. Might also make it easier to know which one to grab from a distance. Easier to see if it gets tangled up. Orange might not be a tech "regulation" color though.

I don't use a long hose for rec diving. It causes too much confusion and I don't want to have to explain how it works every time.

OK.....If they're choking you on purpose, you should try to get away.....if that doesn't work, try to kill them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom