Why no accurate computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your argument that tables are more accurate than your computer is flawed. Tables assume a square profile. Computers make no assumptions. They calculate in real time and based on your depth at the time.

As others have said, confirm that the settings on your computer are where you want them. And then stick the tables in your pocket, and forget them until your computer dies.

Some brands of computers (like Suunto...) are known to be conservative. Shearwaters in Tec mode are almost infinitely adjustable.

If you're in doubt, borrow a friend's computer and dive them both. You'll get similar results which should confirm that nothing is broken. (Use two Suuntos perhaps!)

95A3593A-B051-4ECA-B321-249762FD3A63.jpeg
If you're in doubt, borrow a friend's computer and dive them both. You'll get similar results which should confirm that nothing is broken. (Use two Suuntos perhaps!)

2 Suuntos ? That’s just silly

A172675E-C9B0-4C06-B40E-08485B4F9314.jpeg

LOL. Not sure what I'm looking at there... Is that the time of day? And date? Something seems "off". ;-)

A fairly typical computer dive for us is 100+ feet for 60 minutes. Does that fit your tables?
thats not a rec dive which the OP ,, I think,,, is referencing to because of the ;mention of NDL's , You can not give a tech answer to a rec question. What he is seeing is common. The problem lies in the overal conservativess of the computer on top of the conservative setting.

I also believe that if you got the lawyers out of things they all would read much closer to each other.

I have read articles that were based o n the excessive padding of NDL info and they suggested that low conservatism is more than adiquate, inferring med and high unnecessary/ way overkill.

thats not a rec dive which the OP ,, I think,,, is referencing to because of the ;mention of NDL's , You can not give a tech answer to a rec question. What he is seeing is common. The problem lies in the overal conservativess of the computer on top of the conservative setting.

I also believe that if you got the lawyers out of things they all would read much closer to each other.

I have read articles that were based o n the excessive padding of NDL info and they suggested that low conservatism is more than adiquate, inferring med and high unnecessary/ way overkill.
Why wouldn't it be a rec dive? I have done rec dives to 100 feet for 80 minutes.

If it is a multi-level dive using a computer, it could easily be within NDLs. If it is using tables, then it has to be a tech dive. I believe that is what he meant by that.

The OP has left the tread, or at least he has said he left the thread. I think it was pretty clear that he did not understand the concept of a multi-level dive with a computer. He apparently believed all dives had to be within table limits. He said a multi-level dive had to be more conservative than a square profile because the diver spent the same amount of time yet was at a shallower depth.

then
Why wouldn't it be a rec dive? I have done rec dives to 100 feet for 80 minutes.

If it is a multi-level dive using a computer, it could easily be within NDLs. If it is using tables, then it has to be a tech dive. I believe that is what he meant by that.

The OP has left the tread, or at least he has said he left the thread. I think it was pretty clear that he did not understand the concept of a multi-level dive with a computer. He apparently believed all dives had to be within table limits. He said a multi-level dive had to be more conservative than a square profile because the diver spent the same amount of time yet was at a shallower depth.

then it would not be an 80 minute dive at 100 ft.

then

then it would not be an 80 minute dive at 100 ft.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about a multi-level dive dive with a maximum depth of 100 feet.

@ drk5036- I just look at my SSI table 1. It states for example, at 90ft I have a NDL of 25 minutes. In dive plan mode my computer set on AIR and on the lowest conservative setting states I have a NDL of 17 minutes. I lose 8 minutes. To me that is not acceptable. Especially with the costs of diving.

You want the dive time of tables. You don't like the NDL your computer is calculating. But you still want to use your computer? Simple solution: put your computer in gauge mode, use the tables for your planning. Best of both worlds! You can ignore the computer's NDL but still feel like you're "using your computer".

But you also might want to do a little research on how your computer is calculating its NDLs. Mine is a Suunto, which are frequently derided for being far too conservative. I just checked it... for 90 feet, it gives me 22 minutes of NDL. If your computer is showing 17 minutes, either you just dived with it, you have it on a very conservative setting, or somehow your computer is 25% more conservative than a Suunto (which, I think everyone would agree, is nearly impossible.)

Reactions: OTF
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom