Why no PST pro valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

US DOT doesn't "regulate" regulators of any kind, least of all scuba yoke valves.

Almost all (obviously there's one exception) 7/8" UNF necked tanks have 300 bar DIN valves on them because at the time of manufacture the entire concept of a convertible valve was new and yokes were not suitable for 3500psi (most were rated to about 3200psi by the manufacturer in the early 90s). The 300 bar DIN fittings were done by convention not regulation. PST needed a "different" valve (than yoke) and 300bar was suitable.

Fast forward about 5 years and PST and others get permission to make exempt tanks at 3442psi with 3/4" NPS necks. Tanks greater than 2600-3000psi have been around for awhile now and yokes have been made stronger in the interim. Valve manufacturers correctly think, "we don't actually need 300bar DIN, 200bar is totally fine. Lets make the valves convertible!" And poof convertible valves are born. Because 7/8" UNF threads were already out of date, essentially nobody retrospectively made 7/8" convertible valves for them, they retooled for 3/4" NPS and that's were we remain today.

If you think 300bar is a USDOT requirement because there is some 3500psi threshold for the deeper threads then cite the CFRs that say so. You won't find any as it has no force of law, its a historical convention.

My galvanized HP100s were born 2-97 . They read "DOT-E9791-3500 TP5250"

They have the magic modular pro valves that supposedly were never made. They are DIN 200bar valves that accept a screw-in yoke adaptor and have the dimples on the back. I had thought they were 3/4 necks and bought new valves for them, but the 3/4 valves are a different size. I assume these are 7/8s but I have not verified that, only that they are not 3/4.

I also have the isolator and bands in my parts box for when I'm ready to make them doubles again.

Attachments

• IMG_4701.JPG
    IMG_4701.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4704.JPG
    IMG_4704.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4705.JPG
    IMG_4705.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4706.JPG
    IMG_4706.JPG