Why not DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greatwhitepike

Registered
Reaction score
After logging in for the first time there was a prodding header to jump in. Pleasure to do so! I have found several fascinating topics covered in these forums that have helped with my research immensely and I hope I can add some interesting if not naive perspectives to the board.

Well let get down to it.

After many hours of researching the topic online I have really bought into this "DIR" philosophy... that is as a technical rope rescue tech following NFPA standards I can truly appreciate having the most simple, strong, fail proof and effective systems possible.

But now the dilemma...., I am a newcomer to the SCUBA world, I mean I have My Advanced Open Water cert with PADI I have been diving in fresh, South Atlantic, Cenotes, Ice and Northern Pacific but trust me I am honestly very humble! Today however I finally had the chance to meet Central Alberta's legendary Diver he has over 30 years experience without a single injury to him or his crews and has partaken in almost every diving related activity including commercial there is. You can't say SCUBA in Alberta without hearing his name. Now that might not seem much to some people considering Alberta is landlocked but you would be surprised at our diving activity for instance we have over 150 commercial divers in Red Deer which only has about 100000 people and more certified Divers than British Columbia. So it is still something.

That being said when I spoke of DIR and WKP Project he looked at me like I was mad! I even printed off a couple of articles from the internet for reference. The way I understand it is his point of view is that this is going backwards in time, because he started diving like this out of neccesity, because that was all there was and he doesn't understand why people would want to do that. For example he logs about three hundred days of diving a year he uses a Zeagle Ranger BCD and after many years with it he has never had a single problem with it. Can a plate really be as comfy in and out of the water as this plush setup? I mean we can't kid ourselves there are still a lot of situations where wearing your BC out of water makes sense.

I guess the point I am trying to get at is, There seems to be a plethora of sites and articles regarding why to DIR can some one else with tech diving experience provide more reasons why not to DIR to help us newbies get set up with both sides of the story to base our opinions on?

P.S.

How does it make any sense that these "simple & effective" setups stripped of any bells and whistles go for more money than fully equipped models? It doesn't make any sense to me. In fact I even heard it's a marketing ploy to sell more equipment and get people to change their gear.

No disrespect meant and thanks for the time.

Well this is one issue that is debated constantly here and everywhere else. There will be many people trying to get you to go one way or the other. There will be many posts here with lots of links so be prepared to read a lot. The most important thing is to go into this tornado you are about to enter with an open mind. You may come to the point of wanting to take the best ideas from both and combining them in a way you feel comfortable.
There is no reason not to DIR as you say. There are many aspects of DIR, including the training , that I feel are better than mainstream agencies. But it comes down to diving the way you want to. As you pointed out, the very experienced diver was not DIR. There expert divers on both sides and you will find the most experienced divers on either side will give you honest opinions on why they chose their particular style and equipment.
Good luck.

Welcome to ScubaBoard greatwhitepike! I know your post will generate some great discussion, however, I'm going to just grab some popcorn, kick back and enjoy myself as it develops! :lurk:

As you found out, there are many folks who decide that DIR is not for them. I think it's hilarious to listen to or read some of the excuses... uh.... I mean reasons :D.... given by the "old-time" divers as to why the DIR system is not for them... often based on an equipment configuration or some other point they don't agree with.

As for you ~ you are at the very beginning of your diving experience. If you let it, the DIR system can teach you how to be a safer (to yourself as well as to your buddies, DIR or non) diver with skills that will ultimately make your dives more fun and relaxed than you can imagine.... in far less than 30 years.

A common misconception is that DIR teaches a one way and only one way approach. It's not. Even though many of the newly DIRfed as well as some of the not so newly Teched tend to argue and debate to death the minor stuff, forgetting the core concepts to the whole system is creating the divers who can *think* and who can be an integral part of a team in ANY dive situation, whether it's a 60' reef dive a 350' deep wreck penetration or a 10,000' cave exploration.

Even if you have no interest in technical diving, and if you're still open to it after the anti-DIR folks answer your "Why not" question, you should consider taking a DIRf class and get the questions answered as to *why* the DIR system chooses particular gear and procedures. A one-on-one face-to-face open-minded discussion with a DIR instructor or an experienced DIR diver will answer your questions much more thoroughly than a hundred internet posts.

As for the why not? You'll surely get plenty of reasons posted here, a few of which may actually seem to make sense on the surface. If you take the introductory class, then decide that DIR does not fit the style of diving you prefer, you can always walk away... or even incorporate the parts you liked to your dives. :wink: Even so, you will have been introduced to and shown a performance bar that is achievable with a bit of commitment.

Snowbear:
As you found out, there are many folks who decide that DIR is not for them. I think it's hilarious to listen to or read some of the excuses... uh.... I mean reasons.

As for the why not?

College graduate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom