Why Not the North Hotel Zone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Christi. The "Powers that Be" very rarely appreciate the power of true free and open competition. It allows experimentation, innovation, new business models that provide better services that at least some consumers like and are willing to pay for. There is no single type of Cozumel lover - some like the broad white beaches and close in reefs and convenience of the AI's on the South End. Some like not only the diving, but the restaurants and opportunity to commingle with the locals of Downtown locations. Some want the beaches, the peace and solitude of the North Hotel zone. It makes a lot of sense to allow the businesses serving the tourist trade to experiment, provide other services, like shuttles and vans to Downtown or to Diving piers, to try to appeal to more customers. Letting the Taxi Union keep and abuse its monopoly on transportation just frustrates that kind of innovation, hurting everyone else. If only more Cozumelinos understood that basic truth, maybe the Taxi Union would find that it lacked the political power to frustrate innovation.

Reactions: MMM
About 20 years ago, my wife and I were talked into visiting Cozumel with our kids. We loved at, and decided that we would return every other year or so. I was not a certified diver, but a resort dive during that first stay convinced me that if I was going to be coming back regularly, I needed to be certified, so that's how I became a diver. We ended up staying at the Coral Princess on the north end, and we absolutely loved the place. The staff was fantastic. We ended up returning there far more often than originally planned, and we continued to love it.

As my diving went from beginner to advanced, so did my knowledge of how to do it from that hotel. I first simply used the operator on site--Pepe's. I stopped using them only because they tended to cater to a more beginning clientele, and it was hard to get trips to the more challenging sites. When I used other operators, I just took a very quick taxi into town, or during the years when we had rental cars, my wife would drop me off. It is quite close to the Aldora pier--no problem at all.

A couple of years ago my son took his new wife to Cozumel, getting a very good deal on a big name all-inclusive in the south. He hated it. After a couple of days of hating it, they took a taxi north to spend the day (and especially the happy hour) at the Coral Princess, and he wished they had stayed there instead. He especially hated the all-inclusive part of his stay. He much preferred the short hop into town to walk around and eat in one of the really nice restaurants there. He missed interacting with the locals.

I have stayed in other hotels in Cozumel, usually because of some great deal thrown at me, so I have seen the difference, too. I haven't been to Cozumel in a couple of years now. (When in Mexico, we go to the mainland now, where I have easy access to the caves). I strongly considered returning on a last minute impulse a few months ago, and I got as far as choosing a flight and hotel before backing out. If I had gone, it would have been north, to the Coral Princess.

Translation: "I don't have the fastest boat and it doesn't matter, unless I have the fastest boat and then it matters.":)
I think Dave likes the speed.... or maybe not?

Attachments

• dave1.jpg
    dave1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 107
  • daved3.jpg
    daved3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Been reading over this thread; sounds like Coz.'s big draws are the diving (naturally) & dining (for some), and the north is farther from both, except for dining where the south is concerned, but if I inferred correctly AI was commonly in effect at distant southern resorts?

Are AI offerings prevalent at the northern hotels, or are most people cabbing or bicycling back & forth every evening for supper?

Those of you who frequent Coz., about how many dives/day do you tend to do? If it's 3 with an afternoon dive, I'd think the convenience of an A.I. or a quick walk to restaurants of choice would be compelling, by the time you get back from diving, take a shower, etc...

How many of you bicycle, or want to, on Coz.?

How many of you care much about a beach, or travel with someone who does?

Richard.

Is one of the major issues that people find limited selection of dive operators who will pick up north because most of the diving is south?

While this argument surely has merit with some, my hotel selection is not impacted by it. I have stayed at Hotel Fontan several times, El Cozumeleno and Villa Aldora. Villa Aldora is the best.

I take a taxi into town and eat breakfast at Rock n Java then walk up to the Aldora pier.

Taxis into town are cheap enough.

Other than Hacienda San Miguel, I may never stay in the downtown area again due to noise concerns.

The furthest south I have stayed is Fiesta Americana.

North end to town is the same cost as about the cruise ship piers/PR/Fiesta Americana to town so for dining north end is moot.

The only real difference is very few is any ops (other than Aldora and the op at El Coz) pick up that far north. Only 2 AI's up there are the El Coz and Melia.

I dont want to have to taxi every day since i dont really rent a jeep anymore so I moved my location to the Park Royal and just use the Aquaworld dock and rinse tank. Much more convenient.

Hands down Pepe Scuba has the fastest boats on the Island...makes the long ride from the Coral Princess to the southern end dive sites fly by !

Hands down Pepe Scuba has the fastest boats on the Island..!
Yea, those boats are quick. I noticed that when we passed them.

Hands down Pepe Scuba has the fastest boats on the Island...makes the long ride from the Coral Princess to the southern end dive sites fly by !

Despite having been going to Cozumel many, many times over the last 25 years, I have to admit that until reading this thread, I was not aware of ANY other dive ops, other than Aldora at Villa Aldora, that picked up in the North Hotel Zone. I've never seen any reviews of Pepe Scuba Diving on this forum, or any other place, and I've always avoided the North Hotel Zone because of the perceived lack of any convenient dive operators. Long boat rides don't bother me a bit, and I really don't care about whether an Op has "the fastest boat." I'm much more concerned about quality time under water - are the DMs experienced and knowledgeable? Does the Op offer larger tanks, Steel 120s or at least AL 100s? Can I get Nitrox in a bigger tank, or am I stuck with an AL 80 if I want Nitrox? What about bottom times; can I dive my tank and my computer, or will I be forced onto a fixed dive schedule - first dive, max depth 90', max time 45 minutes? Can I get on a boat with experienced divers, or (as a single diver) will I get buddied up with a newbie? Has anybody here had any experience with Pepe Scuba Diving? If I decided to try the North End, is Pepe Scuba Diving a realistic choice, or is it primarily for newbies who end up at El Cozumeleno on a package deal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom