Why NOT to make DIR forum opt-in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1) If it is opt-in non-dir divers might not find out about DIR

The first time I learned about DIR was on Scubaboard.... before there was a DIR forum. I am pretty sure DIR will be thrown around enough outside the forum if it was opt-in to make people look into it further and then join.

2 )Making it opt-in might keep some of the experienced non-DIR divers from making comments or observations.

Most divers that fit into this definition are so close to DIR they would probably still join the forum and most of them know how to give a DIR answer anyways.

I still cant see why its not made opt-in. Wasn't the solo diving forum specifically made opt-in for the same problems we see here? Is there something I'm missing that keeps it not opt-in? Can any fellow DIR divers, wannabes or mods weigh in?

I think it would have to be more like the "instructor to instructor" forum where one has to prove credentials before you can join. Solo divers can just join by signing up because they....dive solo.

I think it would have to be more like the "instructor to instructor" forum where one has to prove credentials before you can join. Solo divers can just join by signing up because they....dive solo.

And DIR divers could just join by signing up because they....dive dir.

Unless you have to prove that you have done fundies or some GUE or whatever criteria is decided on to keep guys like me from posting here. (sorry I posted before I looked)

1) If it is opt-in non-dir divers might not find out about DIR

The first time I learned about DIR was on Scubaboard.... before there was a DIR forum. I am pretty sure DIR will be thrown around enough outside the forum if it was opt-in to make people look into it further and then join.

Yep. Its also not really doing much right now to get divers interested in DIR, as-is.

2 )Making it opt-in might keep some of the experienced non-DIR divers from making comments or observations.

Most divers that fit into this definition are so close to DIR they would probably still join the forum and most of them know how to give a DIR answer anyways.

There's also all the other forums. Not every DIR thread needs a non-DIR voice answering the question to try to achieve some kind of "fair and balanced" voice. Just like we don't need non-Solo divers pointing out in every thread in the solo diving forum that solo divers are breaking a basic rule of scuba diving and they're all going to die...

And divers can always start threads in other areas of the boards to get more broad answers to questions.

I still cant see why its not made opt-in. Wasn't the solo diving forum specifically made opt-in for the same problems we see here? Is there something I'm missing that keeps it not opt-in? Can any fellow DIR divers, wannabes or mods weigh in?

Yes. Solo diving had the same problems. Every solo diving thread turned into poo flinging. We seem to have the same problem with the DIR forum. I'd propose trying the same prescription and seeing if the patient got better again...

Unless you have to prove that you have done fundies or some GUE or whatever criteria is decided on to keep guys like me from posting here. (sorry I posted before I looked)

If it did go opt-in then I would hope it would be like the solo forum were anyone can join. This way people with no training but an interest can still participate.

I see two advantages, first, your profile will show that you are subscribed to the DIR forum. This in and of its self might keep some trolls out.

Second, even the ones that do join will have a more likely chance to get booted from the forum if they get out of line.

I doubt that would be necessary. The solo diving forum is open to everyone, but a glance at the threads in there shows that its all pretty troll-free because everyone who is anti-solo diving doesn't bother to opt-in. If the same behavior occurs with the DIR forum, then it should work without requiring excessive moderation, or requiring proof of credentials, etc.

So. Lets not invent and try to solve problems that have not yet been encountered. Simply making the DIR forum opt-in largely eliminates the problem of anti-DIR people responding to a thread without realizing which forum they're in. It may not solve all the problems, but its a good first start and it'll result in a better understanding of what any other problems are (and personally I'll bet it solves 90% or better of the problems).

So. Lets not invent and try to solve problems that have not yet been encountered. Simply making the DIR forum opt-in largely eliminates the problem of anti-DIR people responding to a thread without realizing which forum they're in. ).

It may be more like the instructor forum than solo diving. At least no one can chime in with, "if I was an instructor, I'd.....", which is a lot of the problem in the DIR forum. You could still lurk and learn about DIR but not interfere. And, if someone wants to argue about it, just put DIR in the title on any general scuba diving thread. Everyone will pile on as usual.

I still suggest that it be made opt-in for posting only.

With this board software, the DIR forum can be set to "read only" for everyone and "opt-in" for posts.

Simple. Well thought out. Almost...like it were the DIR answer... :p

I still suggest that it be made opt-in for posting only.

With this board software, the DIR forum can be set to "read only" for everyone and "opt-in" for posts.

Simple. Well thought out. Almost...like it were the DIR answer... :p

yeah, but then someone is going to read something they don't like and get pissed off enough to check the opt-in button and lob an handgrenade...

i like not knowing what they're talking about in the solo diving forum... ignorance is bliss...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom