Why (or why not) should a snorkel be donned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
Can I plead "temporary insanity"? :rofl3:
Sure, works for me with great regularity. But why make it temporary?

I am so glad to hear that someone is talking about using caution when they have doubts due to a certain situation or condition!!! Who knows the life we save may be our own!!!!!
Just my own opinion and we all know about those.......:wink:

As I posted in your poll, I don't wear one unless I'm required to by a dive boat or local ordinance. They can be useful, but I have two problems with them based on where and how I dive. California sea lions love to steal them. When I squeeze into tight areas to videotape, they almost always get in the way.

I manage my gas well enough that I don't need to conserve air or do much surface swimming where I'd need one.

Rainer:
Um, are you sure they were 10+' waves? Not exactly diving conditions. Also, 500 PSI on an AL80 is still about 13 cu ft of gas. Should easily be enough air for 20 minutes of breathing. I have absolutely no idea how a snorkel would help in 10 foot waves, nor do I understand how going to your reg would be a problem in this case.
I've met a true believer in snorkels. He spent 5 hours adrift from Molokini in 40+knot winds and high seas. February 2003. The conditions worsened quickly, and the boat was unable to locate the divers at the end of a drift dive.

He says that he would dearly have loved to have a snorkel to assist in breathing in the high waves and heavy spray on the surface.

He now always carries one in his BCD pocket.

i wear one on every dive... INSIDE my 3mm wetsuit.... really impresses the ladies!

I have a buddy who is Y certified- they spend 4 weeks in a 10 week course just swimming and snorkelling. She dives with her snorkel religiously- I couldn't even get her to try one dive without it. Then it dawned on me- if I had spent 4 weeks practicing with a snorkel, I might use it more often. She is extremely comfortable in the water with her snorkel (although she isn't always comfortable with what's in the water :D)

I occasionally try my fins at freediving- I use a snorkel at the surface, but it is bungeed to my surface float so that I don't have to dive with it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom