Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this subject has been talked about before and it was those previous posts that set me thinking. A lot of folks here believe that as divers we have some kind of an "ethical obligation" to support our regional LDS. I had been buying from internet retailers and after reading some posts here, I though okay lets take a look at LDS not just around where I live but other places too to see what do I get by supporting them? Here is what I found:

1). The LDS prices are way too much!

Why should I pay those prices? Of course there is the warranty argument with some brands. If some brands like Scubapro etc dont give warranty to internet sales should I not punish them by buying from their competition that has made itself available online instead of punishing internet retailer for selling them to me cheaper? Should Scubapro not modify their business model to suit me- the consumer, instead of me modifying my purchase model to put more bucks into their pockets and also to punish the internet retailer who is making diving cheaper for me?

2). By having a good relationship with an LDS overall diving will become cheaper! LDS books trips in groups and would be able to get a better group rate for everyone.

I really investigated into this part of the argument and it turns out to be so not true. In a lot of cases the group rates for LDS sponsored trips were higher than what I would get if I called the same dive resort in Bonaire or wherever they were taking the group. In other cases it was exactly the same rate that was advertised on the resort website! In those few instances where the LDS was giving a slightly better travel package than what the resort would give me, the price difference was so little that it did not make sense why I should buy a mask at three times the price and get that tiny little price reduction on a group trip.

3) LDS lets you try gear befor buying!

So do the internet retailers! I ordered 4 different sized wetsuits, kept one and return everything for a full refund. I did not even have to burn my gas to go to the internet retailer. They put an array of products right at my doorstep.

4) Through LDS you get in touch with other fellows in the diving community

Okay! Through LDS I will get in touch with other divers who are paying ridiculous prices on gear and in most cases coming together as a group to overpay on divetrips as well. On the other hand, SCUBABOARD enables me to get in touch with other divers not only from my area but also from other places. I have had the pleasure of diving with many people from this board and since scubaboard is not charging me money, we were all diving as richer people!

In the end I really dont get whats in it for me. A world without LDS? Is that really such a doomsday scenario as it is made out to be? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks -

I know this subject has been talked about before and it was those previous posts that set me thinking. A lot of folks here believe that as divers we have some kind of an "ethical obligation" to support our regional LDS.

There's no obligation to do any such thing.

I support my LDS because they make me happy, and I'm willing to pay for the service. The "happiness" I receive from having fast, high-quality equipment service, air fills and boat-rides and fun people to hang out with is well worth the money I've spent there.

If they suck, or you don't feel like it's a good deal for you, go somewhere else.

Terry

So I guess you own and maintain a compressor?

Where would we get our airfills if there were no LDS? Last I checked, those compressors and nitrox setups aren't exactly cost effective to put in one's garage at almost $22,000.

If they can't mark up a product, then they can't use that markup in other areas to provide other services that can't be utilized from an online LDS. How many airfills do you think it would take at $5 a piece to break even on the compressor setup alone, let alone attempting to cover the maintenance costs of having the compressor as well?

It's not the resellers (scubapro, oceanic, etc) padding their pockets. The LDS has a brick and mortar shop to pay for and staff to assist you with your purchase and a really large compressor to pay for so you can get $5 airfills and go diving. Plus you get your item immediately, you don't have to wait for it arrive.

So continue to buy online and save money. I think that mentality will just eventually continue the demise of more LDS who can't hang on with airfills alone. If my LDS goes under, I would have to drive 16 miles further out of my way just to get supplies immediately or airfills for that matter.

Do as you wish but I will continue to support mine because the staff are great people, they know me by name when I walk in the door and they go out of their way to keep me as a customer.

So I guess you own and maintain a compressor?

Nope, but there are any number of places that would be happy to sell me one.

Terry

Where would we get our airfills if there were no LDS? Last I checked, those compressors and nitrox setups aren't exactly cost effective to put in one's garage at almost $22,000.

A nice air compressor that's large enough for me and my buddy can be had for significantly less than $5000, and the local gas supplier would be thrilled to drop off a tank of O2, which would allow me to do partial pressure blending for the cost of an O2-compatible fill whip and pressure gauge.

Terry

You skipped the two things I like about my LDS.

Training~ Who at ScubaToys or LP is going to train divers in Colorado, or LA, or....

Air Fills~ It is going to be a bit difficult to find air fills if there are ZERO dive shops in the area. Buying a compressor IMO is NOT a cost justified option when I can get fills for $5 a tank.

I agree that OUR LDS are GENERALLY not competitive when it comes to gear pricing. So what. No one is forcing you to purchase from the LDS. However when you want training/air fills/to hookup with local divers etc., I appreciate the LDS.

Another factor is that they DO reasonable trips at a reasonable price. Sure you can go it alone, and honestly, that is what I normally do. However I do so not because of the pricing but because I generally like to do my own schedule, and our LDS does not run trips to Coz on a monthly basis.

Rather than bitching about the LDS's, find things you like about them, and use them for those things. For other stuff, like rock bottom pricing on stuff, well, don't use them.

It does not have to be one or the other, it can be both.

I would suggest you may not appreciate your LDS until they are gone, and then it is too late. I use our LDS's when I can, and support them when I can. That IMO is a good policy.

Another thing is that you can't just paint with such a huge brush. Not all LDS's are alike, and I have found some that have reasonable prices, some that price match, some that have great used gears sales, and some that have suck prices EXCEPT during some annual type sales when one can find some really good deals.... so be careful about lumping LDS's all together, because ScubaToys IS an LDS, but maybe not yours.

Last edited:

"To use the EtherFill 5000, connect the Ethernet cable on the EtherFill 5000 to any RJ45 Ethernet port on your computer or network hub. Then connect the fill whip on the EtherFill 5000 to your cylinder. Visit the Fill Express Web site, and use your prepaid Nitrox or Trimix Fill Card where you can buy gas by the cubic foot. Attest that you are certified to use the gas you are about to download. Then begin downloading your gas fills from the Internet directly into your cylinder, using the EtherFill 5000. Watch the gauge, and when your cylinder is full, just close the handwheel on the fill whip, or abort the download."

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom