Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More what I am trying to say is that not all vacation divers fit the mold of being careless and unskilled without the desire to improve their skills.

Shops like that deserve the good press just as the bad shops deserve the adverse press they often get on the internet. Letting others know about good shops is good for everybody. Why don't you identify the shop.

central mass scuba in worcester, ma

I know this subject has been talked about before and it was those previous posts that set me thinking. A lot of folks here believe that as divers we have some kind of an "ethical obligation" to support our regional LDS. I had been buying from internet retailers and after reading some posts here, I though okay lets take a look at LDS not just around where I live but other places too to see what do I get by supporting them? Here is what I found:

1). The LDS prices are way too much!

2). By having a good relationship with an LDS overall diving will become cheaper! LDS books trips in groups and would be able to get a better group rate for everyone. I really investigated into this part of the argument and it turns out to be so not true.

3) LDS lets you try gear befor buying! So do the internet retailers! I ordered 4 different sized wetsuits, kept one and return everything for a full refund. I did not even have to burn my gas to go to the internet retailer.

4) Through LDS you get in touch with other fellows in the diving community

Okay! Through LDS I will get in touch with other divers who are paying ridiculous prices on gear and in most cases coming together as a group to overpay on divetrips as well. On the other hand, SCUBABOARD enables me to get in touch with other divers not only from my area but also from other places. I have had the pleasure of diving with many people from this board and since scubaboard is not charging me money, we were all diving as richer people!

In the end I really dont get whats in it for me. ... Please share your thoughts.
A good post to start a thread that quickly captured a lot of attention - 272 posts in less than a week shows this is a topic of interest to a lot of SB'ers. In the end, you are right - each of us makes a decision about what's in it for them. Therefore, I fully agree with an initial premise - THERE IS NO ETHICAL OBLIGATION TO SUPPORT A PARTICULAR LDS, or even LDS operations in general. Rather, it is an individual business decision, based on weighing the value received for the dollars / whatever unit of currency invested. Several years ago, a SB thread asked, 'What do you use your LDS for? (www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/272291-what-do-you-use-your-lds.html) and that provided some related information. In my own case, it caused me to reflect on the fact that I get through the existence of, and as a result of my support of, my LDS, in no particular order of value: 1) a very active Dive club, with interesting and informative monthly meetings; 2) Camaraderie and diving fellowship - a social experience, readily available within a few minutes of driving; 3) Training, including OW, AOW, DM, AI, IDC, plus Tec, Trimix, Gas Blender, etc. Plus, I attend seminars at DEMA as a shop 'staff member'; 4) Service. I can service my own gear, but I am free to use the bench and instruments at the LDS, and get my parts at a discounted rate. I am free to blend my own nitrox and trimix fills, paying only for the gas, at a cost-based rate; 5) Specialty needs, such as oxygen cleaning. I do some of the oxygen cleaning for the shop, and pay only a very discounted rate to do my own tanks, valves and regulators - with their equipment, reagents and supplies - because I am happy to also do cleaning on customer tanks at the same time; 6) Expanded contacts with the diving community. I have met a variety of people, at DAN, in PADI, divers with interesting credentials, etc, through the LDS and the shop owner, who is happy to introduce me and others associated with the shop whenever he runs into someone he knows.

I get diving insights, service advice, and technical information (as well as political observations, economic consultation, and social commentary). It is provided willingly and enthusiatically, possibly because I am a shop 'loyalist'. But, shops are in business to sell gear. So, what have I bought there? Wetsuits, drysuits, hoods, vests, regulators, fins, lights, computers (including my new X1), masks, two BCDs, gaiters, tanks, valves, tank bands, reels, weights, clips, and a bunch of other stuff. I have also been able to borrow and try out a lot of gear, Dive Rite and Halcyon backplates and harneses, different wings, tanks, fins, masks, etc. Through the LDS I have a directly available LOCAL network of diving friends who loan me equipment, and to whom I loan equipment. The LDS is even a drop point at times. Yes, I have also purchased a bit of used equipment on eBay, because of some of the knowledge I acquired through the shop (which doesn't sell used gear). And, I use online vendors for some things the LDS doesn't carry, again with the shops's full knowledge, and endorsement. Through the LDS, I have even been introduced to people outside the shop who have been kind enough to allow me to audit their courses at no charge. For me, the issue is not 'either / or', online or LDS.

Have I paid more overall than I would have if ALL equipment was purchased on-line? Probably. Were the prices 'ridiculous'? Not at all. In fact, I think they are relatively competitive with online vendors - not the same, but not twice the price by any means. Moreover, having moved up to DM, then AI, then Instructor over time, and become 'staff', what I pay now is quite a bit less than what I would pay through an online vendor. Was it worth the investment / did the return on investment exceed the value of the investment itself. WITHOUT QUESTION! Just my thoughts, based on my experience.
awap:
Shops like that deserve the good press just as the bad shops deserve the adverse press they often get on the internet. Letting others know about good shops is good for everybody.
Down Under Surf and Scuba in Raleigh, NC.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom