Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I've read most of this debate, even the parts that had nothing really to do with whether or not to support your LDS or buy online. I would rather buy from LDS. Yes, it's a bit more expensive (I paid about $200 more at my LDS on gear than I would have at LP). I don't mind spending that extra money for a few reasons. There are only a few people that work at my LDS, and they are all divers. When I initially went in to speak with them about my needs and what exactly I wanted for equipment, they did not try to sell me the most expensive equipment they had. We spoke about how most of the time, because of working on cruise ships, I would be travelling, I did not want top of the line equipment (in case luggage gets lost, my cabin gets broken into and the filipino mafia steals it, etc). I was initially going to go with a travel bc (no hard plate, rolls up nicely into a bag), but after speaking with them and trying one on in the shop, we decided that because of my size, it would be better to get a bc with the plate.
Now that I have bought quite a bit of gear, and stop in on a regular basis, they know me as a customer, as well as a diver.

Another advantage to buying from my LDS is they will not let me dive the gear until I test it out in the pool with them there. So, tomorrow night, I'm headed to the pool, and they're meeting me there with tanks and weights.

I just ordered the akona akb 176 gear bag from them, and guess what the pricing is? A couple of bucks more than LP charges.
My LDS knows that I am a fairly new diver and my experience has only been in Cozumel. But they also know that I would like to get into cold water diving, and quite often invite me to their weekend ice dives (that I unfortunately haven't been able to make). But, if I am able to take them up on the offer, they have already told me that they'll hook me up with the equipment I would need as well as guidance on cold water diving.

My LDS is also aware that I would like to do my nitrox and AOW before I leave for my next ship. Since they are offer certification through IDEA, I need my AOW before I can do my nitrox cert. The only issue with me taking my AOW before I leave is, it is not being offered before then. So what they are going to do is ask their instructors if they would be willing to do a private class for me.

So yeah, these are all the reasons I support my LDS. They are willing to help me out and assist me in my needs.

So I've read most of this debate, even the parts that had nothing really to do with whether or not to support your LDS or buy online. I would rather buy from LDS. Yes, it's a bit more expensive (I paid about $200 more at my LDS on gear than I would have at LP).

If buying a set of scuba gear from my LDS only cost $200 more than LP, I would probably by from my LDS. But locally, you are looking at more than double in many cases.

If buying a set of scuba gear from my LDS only cost $200 more than LP, I would probably by from my LDS. But locally, you are looking at more than double in many cases.

I will consider myself lucky then

I will consider myself lucky then

Shops like that deserve the good press just as the bad shops deserve the adverse press they often get on the internet. Letting others know about good shops is good for everybody. Why don't you identify the shop.

...I paid about $200 more at my LDS on gear than I would have at LP
... There are only a few people that work at my LDS, and they are all divers.
...they did not try to sell me the most expensive equipment they had.
...quite often invite me to their weekend ice dives (that I unfortunately haven't been able to make). But, if I am able to take them up on the offer, they have already told me that they'll hook me up with the equipment I would need as well as guidance on cold water diving.
... So what they are going to do is ask their instructors if they would be willing to do a private class for me.

So yeah, these are all the reasons I support my LDS. They are willing to help me out and assist me in my needs.
All very valid reasons to patronizing a LDS. This business has provided you with a service, for which you felt justified and happy paying your 200$ premium for. Apparently they got the memo.

What we have been getting at, is the common practices of:
- doubling the price products are available at elsewhere,
- using false or misleading information and scare tactics to hard sell over priced and often unnecessary kit,
- Bellyaching about how we need to support THEM and crying blue murder if you succumb to online (realistic) pricing
are all tactics which we as informed consumers do not feel comfortable or obliged to support.

The LDS in your case served you. You were not there to serve them by keeping them afloat. They are more likely to survive where many of their competition may well shrivel up and close.

Last edited:
Not in my experience. Most divers just want to dive and have no interest in improving their skills. I don't see anything wrong with that unless they are unsafe or are damaging the environment.

Different from what I have experienced. But OK. Maybe it is the group trips arranged by my LDS that attracts a different type of people. I have only been on a group trip.

Not "anybody", but quite a lot. They're not generally dangerous to be around, but yes, anybody who hasn't been in the water in years shouldn't be diving until they've taken a SCUBA skills update class, or at least done a review and a skills session in a pool.

There aren't many places in the US where dive-able water is more than a few hours away, and even without open water, pools are available pretty much everywhere.

This isn't some sort of elitism, I just have a problem with the vacation industry feeding people to the wolves (sharks?). While diving in nice warm water isn't rocket science, "not running out of air" still requires gas management, "not getting bent" requires awareness of depth, time, ascent rate and tables or a computer, and "being safe" still requires buddy skills, good judgement and everything that should have been taught in OW class.

Diving without this is just rolling the dice and hoping nothing "bad" happens.

Terry

Maybe I misinterpret some of the posts, I seem to have had different experiences than some. I guess I am lucky. At times some posts do seem to come accross as elitism.

Different from what I have experienced. But OK. Maybe it is the group trips arranged by my LDS that attracts a different type of people. I have only been on a group trip.

I haven't been on any cruises or group trips myself (other than with people I already know) so I was not commenting on group trips or cruises in particular. I have dived with a number of different dive clubs, I have been on vacation to warm water destinations a couple of times, and I use local charters.

Most people do not care anything more about diving like improving skills than just the actual dive in my experience. They might get AOW, but mostly because it sounds cool, and it lets them dive to 30m with charters. Again I don't see this as an issue as long as they are safe and don't damage stuff; trouble is, a lot of them act like upside down helicopters under the water and I have seen a number of times, people get very low on air. I have shared air to OOA divers on three occassions but I have witnessed many more LOA situations.

Mostly nothing comes of this as diving is quite safe. But yea, it is annoying for me to see the damage done at certain sites as well as a few occassions with instabuddies have my dive ruined by their cavalier attitude towards safety.

Maybe I misinterpret some of the posts, I seem to have had different experiences than some. I guess I am lucky. At times some posts do seem to come accross as elitism.

What is wrong with elitism?

I have this fantasy that anybody with a C-Card should be able to dive safely and competently with a buddy and not damage the environment.

It would be really sad if that qualified as "elite."

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom