Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I take our boat out locally as often as time and weather conditions allow, but that probably amounts to no more than 25 outings (100 tank fills) per year.

Just out of curiosity I recently looked into the purchase of a small compressor. The cheapest ones I could find run about $3,500 new. Assuming a savings of $5.00 per fill and 100 fills per year, it would take 7 years to pay off the investment.

Operating costs (filters, electricity and maintenance) would make the ROI even worse, but could be partially offset by fuel savings from not having to drive to the LDS for tank fills.

Bottom line is, unless I was going to be filling more than 200-300 tanks per year, buying my own compressor doesn't really pencil out.

This has nothing to do with being cost-effective. A small inexpensive compressor that I have to run and maintain is probably the least-efficient tank filling method possible. My post was in response to someone who was questioning where I could get fills if the LDS closed.

Terry

The LDS that I use does not care where I buy my stuff.

You do know that's not true, right?

I know this will sound like a semantic point, but I'm sure what you mean is "The LDS that I use does not try to make me feel guilty for buying stuff elsewhere."

Of course they CARE where you buy your stuff. Of course they would prefer that you buy gear at their store vs somewhere else.

The Darwin theory about dwindling LDS' is OK, but as I have posted before, what if your LDS goes under and the next one is 100 miles away?

This has nothing to do with being cost-effective. A small inexpensive compressor that I have to run and maintain is probably the least-efficient tank filling method possible. My post was in response to someone who was questioning where I could get fills if the LDS closed.

Terry

I agree with the absurdity of suggesting divers can all run out and buy/operate/maintain their own air compressors ! Per previous discussions on B/P-wings versus BC's, it was revealed that less than 1% of bouyancy control systems sold annually are B/P-wings....so if the % of divers out there that are 'hard core' enough to even buy a B/P-wing is a measly sub-1% of the diver population, what % of divers out there are hardcore enough to be buying their own freaking compressors ???

The Darwin theory about dwindling LDS' is OK, but as I have posted before, what if your LDS goes under and the next one is 100 miles away?

Give up diving or start a dive club.

Thankfully, it is probably a very small percentage of divers who might reasonably be in such a situation.

I agree with the absurdity of suggesting divers can all run out and buy/operate/maintain their own air compressors ! Per previous discussions on B/P-wings versus BC's, it was revealed that less than 1% of bouyancy control systems sold annually are B/P-wings....so if the % of divers out there that are 'hard core' enough to even buy a B/P-wing is a measly sub-1% of the diver population, what % of divers out there are hardcore enough to be buying their own freaking compressors ???

Anybody that wants to dive and doesn't have a place to get tank fills.

By the time you've bought some stage bottles, a half dozen tanks, a drysuit or two, three or four (or more regs), a few pair of DS underwear, maybe some doubles, a BC, a BP/W and all the other stuff that people eventually buy, blowing $4K on a compressor to save a 3 hour drive for tank fills doesn't sound that far out of line.

Right now, I can get great fills at my LDS, and there's little chance of them closing, however if they did, I certainly wouldn't give up diving.

Terry

You do know that's not true, right?

I know this will sound like a semantic point, but I'm sure what you mean is "The LDS that I use does not try to make me feel guilty for buying stuff elsewhere."

Of course they CARE where you buy your stuff. Of course they would prefer that you buy gear at their store vs somewhere else.

Yeah, wrong choice of words. But with him I can be honest about where and why I buy an item and he's not judgmental about it.

Yeah, wrong choice of words. But with him I can be honest about where and why I buy an item and he's not judgmental about it.

You know its hard for a shop owner to be that way since its not profits coming to him. But what I do know is it wins my buisness. I never liked going in and having to sit in the chair with the lamp on you feeling while the owner drills you on where you bought it, how much, why not let me sell it to you.

I admire an honor who knows he may have missed a sale but his actions and demeanor can still win some future buisness from you

I support my LDS because that is where I connect with the SCUBA world. It is where I take my classes (OWSI is next), where I assist teaching classes, where I met my dive buddies, and where someone actually knows who I am and cares. I am interested, and involved, in the lives of the LDS staff and it reinforces the feeling of community that I get from recreational diving.

A co-worker was certified in Cozumel at a resort and then bought all his gear on the internet. He consequently had no one to dive with (no local OW/AOW classmates or instructional staff) and no real understanding of his gear. He has started diving with our group and has decided to replace the very cost effective pieces of gear that he purchased on line. Buying a second set, that fits correctly and has the features that you want, is likely more expensive than learning about the gear rom the LDS and buying the right stuff the first time.

Plus, while it is fun to sit here and slowly type a message to you and then log back on in a week, I really do enjoy the immediacy of a face-to-face conversation. Our LDS is staffed with interesting and attaractive people which makes for good conversation.

Nope, but there are any number of places that would be happy to sell me one.

Terry

So where does the insanity stop for purchasing extremely expensive gear just so you can keep diving? What's next? You gonna start buying all the equipment necessary and do all the training necessary to start doing your own tank hydro's and VIPs?

My point is, purchasing a compressor, operating a compressor and maintaing a compressor are NOT expenses that the 'average diver' are going to want to do. If their local LDS closes and they have to drive more than a few more minutes to get to the next 'airfill' they will probably stop diving. This sport is for fun, it should not be that much work to get airfills. So the LDS needs to stick around or the entire sport suffers catastrophically.

Back
Top Bottom