Why SPG on hip and not arm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay, stupid question, but I thought perhaps some DIR practitioners could give me the DIR explanation. Monitoring the SPG is crucial to diving my plan. So... Why is the SPG on the hip and not on an arm like the BT and compass?

(Yeah, I know, 99% of threads from n00bs starting with "why..." are code for "I want to debate DIR." But I don't. This is a 1%er. I promise, absolutely no "but... but... but..." follow-ups. Nor do I think having it on the hip is a bad idea. I'm just curious as to why it isn't right there with depth, time, and heading. And as a special bonus, I'm ok with the answer "Ask Dan Mackay when you take your fundies this Summer." But OTOH if there is a nice, concise answer I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.)

Knowing how much gas you have left is critical to your gas plan, monitoring your spg should just confirm what you should already know. Aside from that, the only issue I see from clipping off to your chest or elsewhere is that the HP hose creates a loop that is just beggin to be snagged on something.

I dont know if this is the reason, and I am by no means DIR - but for me when it was clipped off below me it got beat to crap in restrictions of any sort. On my hip it is out of harms way.

you mean, why not air integrated bottom timer with a transmitter on the tank?

the AI computers aren't reliable enough to completely ditch the brass SPG on the hip, so you're introducing more gear rather than replacing gear, and the new gear isn't necessary since depth + time should also tell you gas consumption.

( i've heard rumors, however, that JJ was recently spotted with an AI computer... although you shouldn't read too much into that since he tends to constantly test new gear... )

you mean, why not air integrated bottom timer with a transmitter on the tank?

the AI computers aren't reliable enough to completely ditch the brass SPG on the hip, so you're introducing more gear rather than replacing gear, and the new gear isn't necessary since depth + time should also tell you gas consumption.

( i've heard rumors, however, that JJ was recently spotted with an AI computer... although you shouldn't read too much into that since he tends to constantly test new gear... )

there's plenty of videos and pictures showing wkpp guys wearing air integrated computers.
I believe they test these things for scubapro

Many years ago we played with running an SPG hose down our left arm and putting the gauge there on our left wrist along with the other gauges ... it worked OK, but it was quite uncomfortable and required a special length hose. Perhaps with some of the new Kevlar hoses this discomfort could be alleviated. As far as transmitter types go, for me they've worked fine.

Many years ago we played with running an SPG hose down our left arm and putting the gauge there on our left wrist along with the other gauges ... it worked OK, but it was quite uncomfortable and required a special length hose. Perhaps with some of the new Kevlar hoses this discomfort could be alleviated.

That was what I was wondering about, possibly because I was under the impression that AI computers were not DIR on account of adding a finicky failure point and being a computer. (Note: I am not making a statement about DIR, simply explaining why I wasn't thinking of AI computers when I asked the question.)

Reg, Thal isn't a DIR diver, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Don't feel obligated to qualify/CYA every question you ask here, I think we all know you're pretty serious about learning more about DIR :)

Goal is to keep everything streamlined. All the other hoses have to be where they are, the HP one can be run straight down protected by the wing and out of the way. Once you have some basic DIR diving experience you will rarely ever check your SPG. No need to put it anywhere where it can get in the way. Plus, it is very easy to unclip and access. It is slightly harder to unclip once you have stages there but once you have stages on that side you have even less need to read the gauge and should have even more experience knowing your available gas just looking at time and depth.

this is something I thought about as well, but I could imagine running the HP hose along the arm to be a real PITA

besides, I've found that in good visibility with my bp/w setup all I have to do is look down to see the spg - I rarely have to even unclip it to read the gauge. The left hip d-ring works just fine.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom