Why SPG on hip and not arm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wasn't taught formerly in a class as in "This is how you do it" Was something I picked up diving with Fred and Danny. Saw them do it and tried it out, and it made a bit of a difference. With a single stage that is mostly empty it rides just a bit better when doing a kick dive.

In large passage, there is no real possibility of damaging anything. One wouldnt be doing it in smaller more restrictive passage, just as one wouldn't be using a full frog kick. Lets be thinking divers eh?

I have never seen either of those guys ever do that and I would guess I have around 100 dives or so with Danny alone. Are you sure you didn't seem them clip to their crotch ring which pulls the stage in?

I have never seen either of those guys ever do that and I would guess I have around 100 dives or so with Danny alone. Are you sure you didn't seem them clip to their crotch ring which pulls the stage in?

Yes I am sure.

When you dive with them are you doing single stage kick dives? or are you doing double stage &/or scooter dives?

Do you often clip stages to your crotch ring when scootering? I have seen it done in open water, and sure didnt like how it looked like it was bringing the butt end of the stage into the prop wash.

Danny gave us 3 suggestions (in class, with KMD) to dealing with the tail of a depleted stage to avoid banging the ceiling etc.
1- clip to crotch d-ring
2- wrap the snap so that it was tight on the bottle
3- flip the spg over the tail

Personally with bare hands #2 was generally good enough for me. If I was in someplace like Mayan Blue B tunnel where its fairly wide open except for the exit, and the tail was for whatever still too close to the ceiling (maybe cause I didn't chose an optimum path at that moment)... I wouldn't think twice about just flipping the spg over the stage's butt for the last few feet up the exit shaft to further avoid ceiling dings.

I never liked #1 all that much and it sometimes makes me too "thick". #2 and #3 are "broader and flatter" for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom