Why SPG on hip and not arm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you to DIR Atlanta and John B. for your replies. Good job in representing your practices.

I am sorry for my prior post as that was not very gentlemanly.

I now understand that I did not clarify myself correctly by saying an AI computer is NOT DIR. I have read Dress for Success and do interstand most of the principles. FWIW the only things I am not DIR on is my AI computer, which is really two instances. One being the AI part and the second not being in gauge mode utilizing tables.

Again my apologies to all involved.

DIR isn't actually about the gear. The gear is the byproduct of the mindset. Using a backplate and long hose with useless expensive trinkets doesn't make you partially DIR.

I knew something good was bound to come out of this thread eventually.

Check out my new sig.:D

Hunter

Thank you to DIR Atlanta and John B. for your replies. Good job in representing your practices.

I am sorry for my prior post as that was not very gentlemanly.

I now understand that I did not clarify myself correctly by saying an AI computer is NOT DIR. I have read Dress for Success and do interstand most of the principles. FWIW the only things I am not DIR on is my AI computer, which is really two instances. One being the AI part and the second not being in gauge mode utilizing tables.

Again my apologies to all involved.

Peter_C, don't feel you need to justify your gear choices. We aren't your judge and jury. I would like to point out however, that saying "the only thing I am not DIR on is my AI computer" is akin to saying you are fully male, but pregnant.......They really are mutually exclusive.........:wink:

Peter_C's post seems to exemplify a problem between the OW divers that have been exposed to DIR and the DIR technical community.

Its convenient for OW divers to have an AI computer so that they check their gas more often and have better awareness of it, and don't have to fiddle with clipping and unclipping the gauge.

For technical divers, we typically know what our gas is going to be at any point in the dive, and checking the SPG is just validation and a check on leaking and breathing rates. We also practice checking the SPG while on the trigger and carrying bottles. An AI computer therefore solves a problem that we don't have, and introduces an (expensive) piece of gear which isn't entirely reliable.

Still you see a lot of OW divers with otherwise DIR single tank gear who have taken fundies using AI computers. That isn't wrong in any kind of objective sense, but it isn't DIR. I considered AI computers somewhere between dives 0 and 150, but after going down the technical route the need for it evaporated and I had a lot more necessary stuff to blow my money on...

Wasn't there just a conversation on the Quest list about JJ wearing an AI computer a while back?

I know I made a comment on DIR explorers about Casey using an AI computer with a transmitter, and he answered me and said they were testing them for ScubaPro, and quit using them thereafter.

He's so not DIR.

Once you have some basic DIR diving experience you will rarely ever check your SPG.

Or once you have some basic diving experience you will rarely check your spg, I was taught to be aware of my gas consumption way before I changed configuration - that comes from experience :)

Thus exposing it to damage. I'm curious - is this something that you came up with on your own, or did someone "teach" this to you? If it was taught, then in what type of class and by whom?

Wasn't taught formerly in a class as in "This is how you do it" Was something I picked up diving with Fred and Danny. Saw them do it and tried it out, and it made a bit of a difference. With a single stage that is mostly empty it rides just a bit better when doing a kick dive.

In large passage, there is no real possibility of damaging anything. One wouldnt be doing it in smaller more restrictive passage, just as one wouldn't be using a full frog kick. Lets be thinking divers eh?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom