Why the Cancun Bag Drag still makes sense.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWINE FLU - there was never a single reported case here and the threat originated elsewhere - not even in Mexico - but it was all over the US - and conveniently, it was this same time of year - Spring Break!

SWINE FLU scare as it related to travel here was 100% false news

You're kidding, right? 2009? There were thousands of cases and hundreds of deaths across Mexico, and many parts of Mexico including D.F. shut down their school systems for several months. It wasn't some U.S. conspiracy to keep spring breakers home.

You're kidding, right? 2009? There were thousands of cases and hundreds of deaths across Mexico, and many parts of Mexico including D.F. shut down their school systems for several months. It wasn't some U.S. conspiracy to keep spring breakers home.

There was not a single case reported in Q Roo EDIT: There was ONE case in the entire state

Mexico City is 1000 miles away from Q, Roo - that is no different than issuing a warning for Texas because of something that is going on in Chicago

I got a hella deal during swine flu. Those prices were awesome! It was like a private island.

ETA: I'm not saying that the media response to something like this happening in the US wouldn't be massively overblown. Look at the Boston Marathon bombing 5 years ago. Several injuries, two deaths, and pretty scary, sure, but the 24 hour media blitz that lasted more than a week, then several months/years of "Boston Strong" and what not was a little excessive.

That's an entirely different issue. I never said the media didn't get carried away in their coverage. I was replying to your assertion that their coverage was targeted against Mexico.
"t's one of those "Oh, look at those wacky/dangerous/backwards foreigners" kind of things. Some outlets, knowing the readership/viewership, will go after increased ratings by giving their readers validation of their opinions (like "See? Mexico is a sh*thole! You won't see smart me going there!")

And that's nonsense. The media doesn't pounce on events because they are in Mexico, they pounce on all events everywhere if they feel like their viewership is interested.

, they pounce on all events everywhere if they feel like their viewership is interested.
That's exactly what I was intending. That's why I said "wacky/dangerous/backwards foreigners." This time it's mexico, but it's been anyone and everyone. China gets it a lot. (Remember the story of the guy who sued and divorced his wife because she bore him ugly children and didn't tell him she was only pretty because of plastic surgery? Total bunk, but it was a hit in the US)

We're getting off topic.

... The media doesn't pounce on events because they are in Mexico, they pounce on all events everywhere if they feel like their viewership is interested.

Agree

I can't do it. Maybe when we get to the place when we are coming down more than once a year and can let SCUBA Repair store our equipment, and if I EVER get my retina issues worked out. But for now, our luggage is too much to deal with to do the bag drag.

SWINE FLU - there was never a single reported case here and the threat originated elsewhere - not even in Mexico - but it was all over the US - and conveniently, it was this same time of year - Spring Break!

So are you suggesting the ferry bombings didn't happen or that they caught the perpitrators?

This April I am flying directly into Cozumel. If I were doing the bag drag, my concern wouldn't be the CUN to CZM leg, but the CZM to CUN. With the increased security measures, how long is it going to take getting bags and passengers loaded? Will the ADO buses be subjected to increased security checks? Unless I had a later flight out of CUN, I would consider looking into overnighting it in CUN to assure that security delays would not consume so much time as to result in missing my flight.

I went to Cozumel at the height of the swine flu outbreak. Friends expressed their concern but I pointed out to them that here in Austin I was closer to Mexico City where most of the cases in Mexico were than I would be when I was on Cozumel. It was great, for us, anyway. The island was practically empty of gringos and there were no cruise ship arrivals the whole time I was there. The reefs and the restaurants were practically deserted.

My airline canceled my return flight and tried to re-book me on a flight out a day early. Um, no. A day later, OK. They tried to tell me that I'd have to pay an upcharge for that but I got obstinate and they finally relented.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom