Why the Cancun Bag Drag still makes sense.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragging 3 - 50+lb suitcases and 3 heavy carry-ons?

I drag a messenger bag. If I have a suitcase (or guests who have several each), that's what the tricicleros take care of for a very small amount of money. There's hardly any actual dragging of anything involved, at least by me. In fact, my parents get a triciclero to pedal them between the ferry landing and the bus station instead of walking.

Now, we make it a 2 day trek, fly from smaller John Wayne airport to IAH, stay the night in a near by hotel, then fly to Coz the next morning.

While we now spend an extra day getting there, it is much easier on me. The thought of the whole ADO, ferry ordeal just really turns me off at this point in my life.

It makes perfect sense to travel in the manner that you find most comfortable, and learning what works best for you takes time and experimentation.

As I've gotten older, I've become more averse to staying at hotels for single-night stays. And I really don't want to spend any nights in Houston that could be spent in Cozumel. But that's me.

Last edited:
To correct some misinformation about the U.S. Government in QR. I keep reading about a U.S. consulate being closed. There is no U.S. consulate in PDC. The nearest consulate (which is a place, not a person or title) is in Merida. PDC has a consular agency staffed by a consular agent. Consular agents are typically local American ex-pat residents who work part-time issuing emergency passports (if yours was lost or stolen) and helping with certain emergencies involving U.S. citizens. They are not staffed by full-time, accredited diplomatic personnel, who are typically referred to as consuls or vice-consuls. I believe there's also a consular agency in Cancun.

I realize this may just sound like semantics, but there are very real differences. The biggest is you still have options if there's an emergency. It sounds like worst-case scenario if the PDC consular agency is closed (which I don't know if it is), you could go to the one in Cancun or to the consulate itself in Merida.

It doesn't make sense to me I fly out of Minneapolis non stop to Cozumel. Great rates on Sun Country.

Plus, where would you prefer to be stuck if there's something that grounds a flight? If you can get a non-stop to CUN, then you're either in Mexico or home.

There is that too! We got cancelled in CUN to BWI for fog once. By 730 Mayair had us eating pizza at Ohana. Wife got stuck in Dallas once. Got to go to the FT Worth stockyards. She has a good time.

There are worse things than having a beverage or snack at Sr. Frog's while looking longingly across the water while waiting for a ferry, right?

Yea, we used to do that all the time BBC. (Before Barcos Caribe....) Seemed like we ALWAYS arrive 7 minutes after the ferry left. Lately with BC, seemed like there was always one leaving.

My personal opinion, as someone for whom this sadly isn't really applicable, is that a non-stop flight from a convenient airport to CUN with the bag drag (or MAYAir) beats a connecting flight to CZM from the same airport for up to $150-200 more. Nonstop to CZM, if it's an option, beats almost anything if you can get it.

True, that. I hated the flying west to Texas into the big, busy airports, just to rush around to fly back EAST to Coz.

Seems like a lot of ifs and maybes to save $200 going direct into CZM...I'm all about making it as easy as possible, not cheap as possible. But for a family of 4 or more, I can see the attractiveness of it.

Paul-

I'm flying out Wednesday. I booked about a month ago and Delta to Coz with layover in Atlanta was $750RT so instead I booked JFK to Cancun nonstop for $430RT. I prefer flying into Coz but such a huge difference this time. Leave 5pm Wednesday so I get an extra day of diving as I normally leave in the morning.

I have always preferred the direct flight out of DFW to CZM but can't always get off work early enough for flight 1256 @ 12:20. Does anyone know if the late 2300 or early morning 6:45 ferry departures are still operated by the remaining companies? These two departures were started by Barcos Caribe and allowed someone to get into Cancun after 6PM and still make it on to the island for the 8AM dive boat departures by either catching the last ferry or grabbing a room downtown and then catching the 0500 ADO from Cancun to Playa.
What I really wish is that AA would try an evening flight into CZM again with an early morning departure. It was tried in 2013? and unfortunately there was not enough demand to keep it going. Often there were only 60 passengers on the 737-800, perhaps a regional jet?

Paul-

I'm flying out Wednesday. I booked about a month ago and Delta to Coz with layover in Atlanta was $750RT so instead I booked JFK to Cancun nonstop for $430RT. I prefer flying into Coz but such a huge difference this time. Leave 5pm Wednesday so I get an extra day of diving as I normally leave in the morning.
$320 will go a long way in the tequila game, so can't blame you one iota....have a great trip, I'm jealous.

Just ran the 14th till 19th NYC to CZM and $380 RT came up on Delta/aero Mexico?

Last edited:
I choose the bag drag for tomorrow. The 170$ cost premium into Cozumel didn't offer sufficient value to me. Still enjoying the boat ride.

...an hour on a bus on arrival isn't anything after it just took me 1200km driving to reach the airport on this end.

Terror on this small scale isn't going to shape my decision making.

Regards,
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom