Why the Cancun Bag Drag still makes sense.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the west coast it is always a red eye flight with at least 1 stop over. Any issue for the connection is a problem, plus a 3 hour layover. We started flying nonstop into Cancun a few years ago and what reefhound says is pretty solid ADO is reliable, comfortable, and at around $9US a good deal. The private Van guy is around 40-45US and although a bit more very quick and comfortable. Bicycle guys at playa will haul all your gear the 100 yards or so to the ferry dock, and the ferries are reasonable price wise. Plus we can travel any day as opposed to the COZ flights twice a week at about 300+ more per person.

From the west coast it is always a red eye flight with at least 1 stop over.

Have you tried SouthWest out of LAX? For example, they have a non-stop flight to CUN on April 11 departing at 9:05 am arriving at CUN at 4:00 pm. If you got the return flight on April 24, for example, you would arrive back at LAX at 8:35 pm. That trip would be $371

If you use their "Low Fare Calendar" your options may be a bit more limited, but we always manage to find a flight that gets us to LAX before rush hour and exit LAX after rush hour :) If we fly out of Ontario then yes, we will almost always have to change planes.

Edit: Oh, never mind. I think you meant red eye to CZM.

For many it is not only cost but a timing thing. There are four primary daily flights into Cozumel (plus a few more options on Saturdays and a few more scattered thru the week) : UA out of IAH @ noon, DL out of ATL @ about 11AM, AA out of DFW @ 12:20 and AA out of MIA @ 10:40. This limits the ability to connect for many on the west coast or areas with limited early AM flights into one of these hubs to make a connection. If you can not make these connections or have to travel later in the day or if there is any disruption in your travel plans you will most likely not make a direct flight to the island until the following day and loose a day of diving. Cancun on the other hand is Mexico's busiest international airport with a lot of direct flights from multiple cities in many countries. Provided you can make it to CUN by 8PM you should be able to make it to Cozumel (last ferry out of Playa is still showing @ 11PM) on the same day and be able to dive the following day. While I prefer to travel directly into Cozumel (especially when mule'ing two 50 lb. bags plus a carry on) sometimes for a quick weekend trip after work on Saturday the only option is CUN.

Last edited:
Private Van: $40 or so total.

Really? That's a good price. A few years ago, I took a private van from CUN to Playa and it cost me closer to $100. Would you mind sharing your secret?

Stock van info below. Thought it might help. Going back, the driver would meet you at the end of the ferry pier and help with the bags. For 750 or so pesos total, it isn't much more than the bus and much easier.

Rick

Hey! He is quick to respond, esp on whatsapp. a day is usually of notice, same day with enough notice he has done for me. The new thing with him is make the deal in pesos. I used to pay 45-55 dollars. Started pesos and he takes 750 give or take. He used to make me negotiate, but now I say 750 and he usually takes it.

We used them for going Whale Sharking and traveling to Coba and such too.\

Info on my van guy:

Tell him Richardo "Jefe" Hileman sent ya! Maybe I can get the beer outta him next time....
He goes by Jhony or Captain America
Jose Marino Hernandes
American Transfers Cancun
Mobile: (998) 201-1720 (MX)
E-mail: forsale_jose@hotmail.com

The pros and cons of the bag drag have been discussed here many times. But not having done both yourself, not sure how you can compare thyem.

I wasn't comparing them at all. I was simply giving a perspective based on what I've done in the past and why.

Some of your concerns are not valid in some situations.

Agree with you there but I don't really have any concerns and didn't list any. Just giving my own reasons to fly into Coz. Many here on SB that prefer the flight into Coz may have their own reasons. For me, reading the bag drag discussions is a factor that only solidifies why I prefer to fly into Coz, while on the other hand has given me info on how to do it in the event that it becomes an option I have to pursue. To me this is a great thing about SB.

It's airport connections that often give people the most trouble.
For most people, it's much more likely to have a nonstop flight to Cun than to Czm. Even if your town has nonstop to Coz, you surely don't have as many.

Obviously everyone has their own logistics to work out. I could get a direct flight to Cancun sometimes of the year and not others. Cozumel is always a connecting flight where sometimes of the year I would have to layover until next day and other times, get there by early evening the same day. What I'm happy with and able to do should not be misinterpreted as being the way anyone else should do it. Heck, I'm just a vacation diver!!! I'm lucky enough that I'm able to spend a couple of weeks somewhere so that I don't have to try to and squeeze a dive in the first day I arrive.

Some of these posts remind me of our trips to Fl from Indy.
"Drive or fly?" "15 hours vs a couple of hours?"

Actually, as I started my post, it was meant to be in reference to the thought that everyone puts into the process of planning a trip. I just happened to try and explain the thought process for me. I guess now I would say that if given the choice of flying into Cancun or Coz, with the "perfect" flight times, and the ticket being ~$150 more for Coz (for me) and knowing the cost of transportation from Cancun to Coz, using @cvchief numbers of ~$40 for van, ~$13 for ferry, plus tips for everyone involved (let's say $60), the difference of $90 wouldn't be worth the savings to me. Definitely important to others. That $90 for cervezas, or a dive or 2, or, well, you get the idea!

I don't mind changing planes in Houston going between Austin and Cozumel. Not everyone has the same situation, of course; there are planes between AUS and HOU every hour or two. The "secret" is to not set myself up with a tight connection going either way. I have done the bag drag a couple of times and I really didn't like it. It wasn't so bad going down but coming back was, well, a drag. The difference in air fares has never been more than a couple hundred dollars, but even at twice that I'll still fly directly into Cozumel. Besides, the transit time to and from Cancun eats pretty much a whole day between them, and my available arrival and departure times are not good.

DSFDF and YMMV, of course.

I wasn't comparing them at all. I was simply giving a perspective based on what I've done in the past and why.

You used comparative terms like "quicker" and "lesser" and "more", therefore I felt warranted to give the other side of the coin with specific examples to illustrate it. My post was directed more towards the readership in general, not an attempt to change your mind.

When you're footing the bill for 5 peeps it can be a significant savings to fly into Cancun $1500 bucks in my case for our upcoming May trip. That $1000 can go towards a nice condo for us where we’ll also be able to save on food. If I’m coming by myself or with a buddy I would go direct to CZM if flight dates worked because my time is billed at $325 an hour. Every minute of a short trip counts.

When you're footing the bill for 5 peeps it can be a significant savings to fly into Cancun $1500 bucks in my case for our upcoming May trip. That $1000 can go towards a nice condo for us where we’ll also be able to save on food. If I’m coming by myself or with a buddy I would go direct to CZM if flight dates worked because my time is billed at $325 an hour. Every minute of a short trip counts.
Like I said, everyone's situation is unique to them. There's no one answer for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom