Why the Cancun Bag Drag still makes sense.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the west coast it is always a red eye flight with at least 1 stop over. Any issue for the connection is a problem, plus a 3 hour layover. We started flying nonstop into Cancun a few years ago and what reefhound says is pretty solid ADO is reliable, comfortable, and at around $9US a good deal. The private Van guy is around 40-45US and although a bit more very quick and comfortable. Bicycle guys at playa will haul all your gear the 100 yards or so to the ferry dock, and the ferries are reasonable price wise. Plus we can travel any day as opposed to the COZ flights twice a week at about 300+ more per person.

Didn't read the whole thread but this. Bag drag seems like a little bit of a hassle but it's cheaper and quicker from Los Angeles, so it's really a no brainer.

The other option to the bus/van and ferry is Mayair I have done it a number of times with a checked bag I struggle to keep under 50 lbs and a carry on backpack with camera gear, regulator, computer and various other things that I don't want to lose. Never have been charged extra for weight. For 50 or 60 bucks it can still be considerably less than flying into CZM and particularly on the way back easier than the ferry/bus.

Didn't read the whole thread but this. Bag drag seems like a little bit of a hassle but it's cheaper and quicker from Los Angeles, so it's really a no brainer.
So... no Brainer which way????

I wish Mayair was an option for us , but I'm like Danydon (well almost anyway) where we bring close to 150lbs of gear & supplies per two people, so at 5.80lb after the 44 lb limit per person it would cost to much.
Yes we like flying into COZ, but from the west coast (LAX) it involves a red eye plus a layover, plus limited times and days. Did that for many years.
enter the nonstop LAX-CUN. Several airlines do the flight, some very cheap, flights everyday with different times. good options. ADO bus, yes comfortable, runs every 30 minutes or so, overhead storage, cupholders, movie, reclining seats, around $9 US. Ferries price varies but they run every hour. total time from airport to COZ 3 hours+/-.
Savings this year for us $300 US each. That's a lot of good eating and XX.

but I'm like Danydon (well almost anyway) where we bring close to 150lbs of gear & supplies per two people, .

Blue Steel heading to the airport:

thumbnail-0f2da5d0e5ce518341f3d06c0bf34975-e1461496526196.jpe

I wish Mayair was an option for us , but I'm like Danydon (well almost anyway) where we bring close to 150lbs of gear & supplies per two people, so at 5.80lb after the 44 lb limit per person it would cost to much.
Yes we like flying into COZ, but from the west coast (LAX) it involves a red eye plus a layover, plus limited times and days. Did that for many years.
enter the nonstop LAX-CUN. Several airlines do the flight, some very cheap, flights everyday with different times. good options. ADO bus, yes comfortable, runs every 30 minutes or so, overhead storage, cupholders, movie, reclining seats, around $9 US. Ferries price varies but they run every hour. total time from airport to COZ 3 hours+/-.
Savings this year for us $300 US each. That's a lot of good eating and XX.
If you fly Southwest Airlines the lack of baggage fees makes an even bigger difference for us.

On one trip to CZM via ATL on Delta, my originating flight had issues such that I would miss the connecting flight in Atlanta.

Either spend the night in Atlanta and lose a day of diving or change to CUN via DFW on American. I picked the later. easy peasy.

www.tinyurl.copm/7m3r6

Always keep the option open. In general it is my final routing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom