Why the Compass on the Left Arm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The GUE books don't explain this equipment decision, so was hoping the board could enlighten me :)

If being able to read information as quickly and efficiently as possible is the objective (thus the bottom timer/comp on the right arm) wouldn't it make more sense to have the compass on the right arm right beside your comp? That way you can inflate/deflate with the left hand and still use your compass, and don't have to switch back and forth between arms for information.

I've read that since a DPV is held in the right hand, it can potentially interfere with a compass on that arm, but for non-DPV dives compass on the left seems like an inefficient choice.

Am I missing something?

If/when you move up to scooter diving it saves the trouble of re-learning.

A compass isn't something you need to be on the whole dive, you take a bearing and check every few minutes. Also, when the standards were written, many bottom timers didn't have back lights, so your primary light had to spill onto it a bit. By contrast, a compass could be lit up for a second, and it would glow for some time.

When you're inflating and deflating you don't need to be checking your bearings as closely, because your probably descending or ascending, and you can get bearings when you reach the floor or the surface.

...but, I haven't moved up to aggressive diving (yet), and don't have experience with more advanced stuff. I'm sure someone else will have a more thorough answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those all seem like reasons "why the left works fine" rather than "why the left is a better position," though. Most DPV divers I see have the compass on the DPV itself, so they're already changing up the configuration.

Compass on the left works fine, I know, but it still seems like an inferior choice to the right. You might not need to check bearings that often, or use the compass while inflating/deflating, but on the right you CAN do those things, if you need to. (Say you're in very low vis, and need to keep your eye on the compass to prevent getting turned around, for example.) So if the right side allows you more possibilities and convenience, why is the left the standard configuration?

DIR is about keeping with a simple and universal gear configuration. So with scooter diving, compass is better on left arm to avoid magnetic deviation.
Additionally think of this: with BC or drysuit input; deflating/inflating, you would not be able to see your computer all the time if it were on your left arm. So to keep it in easy reference at all possible times, it HAS to be placed on the right. That is critical, unlike compass placement where in some environments it may not even be required to have (like a metal wreck).

If you place compass and computer on right, it can clog up the arm. My short arms, I barely have room; assuming I wear the gauges very close to my wrist. With a DUI zipseal drysuit , not a chance. The second gauge would be pinched in my elbow and prevent me from doing valve drills.

Having the compass next to the computer could also potentially cause deviation. So by process of elimination and dire necessity (or lack of) Compass resides on the left.
That's my take.

Once again going to universal gear configurations for all situations, even if you don't dive a scooter. DIR way is to have compass on left, computer on right.

The GUE books don't explain this equipment decision, so was hoping the board could enlighten me :)

If being able to read information as quickly and efficiently as possible is the objective (thus the bottom timer/comp on the right arm) wouldn't it make more sense to have the compass on the right arm right beside your comp? That way you can inflate/deflate with the left hand and still use your compass, and don't have to switch back and forth between arms for information.

I've read that since a DPV is held in the right hand, it can potentially interfere with a compass on that arm, but for non-DPV dives compass on the left seems like an inefficient choice.

Am I missing something?

In JJ's original description he assumed that the diver would be using a scooter and the compass was positioned left in order to eliminate any risk of magnetic interference from the scooter affecting the compass (the scooter is handled with the right hand).

I have no idea of the validity of that claim but electric motors do form magnetic fields so it seems at least logical to consider it. I guess if you wanted to test it then you could do your own Mythbuster's experiment but that's the reason he gave.

R..

If compass on the right can cause interference, why are there instructors that mount the compass to their DPV? I would think that would cause interference as well.

Not being able to fit both the compass and BT on the right arm is definitely a good reason, but most units I've seen seem small enough to fit on the right forearm. I could definitely wear 2 each of my computer and compass and still have room left on the forearm, so combined with the fact that I am not using a DPV it just feels like having the compass on the left would be Doing it Wrong instead of Doing it Right.

If DPV interference does occur, I completely understand the reasoning ... but since DPV dives are a small % of overall diving, it seems silly to not have compass on the right arm as standard configuration, and just prescribe switching to the left for DPV. Creating a configuration that can work for every type of diving is a great ideal, but we already make significant changes such as tank size depending on the type of dive it is, so why should compass placement be any different? Singles vs doubles is a lot bigger of a difference than switching your compass to the left arm when you go on a DPV dive, imo. Plus if DIR instructors are mounting compasses to their scooters, that really invalidates the entire standardization idea.

If DPV interference does occur, I completely understand the reasoning ... but since DPV dives are a small % of overall diving, it seems silly to not have compass on the right arm as standard configuration, and just prescribe switching to the left for DPV. Creating a configuration that can work for every type of diving is a great ideal, but we already make significant changes such as tank size depending on the type of dive it is, so why should compass placement be any different? Singles vs doubles is a lot bigger of a difference than switching your compass to the left arm when you go on a DPV dive, imo. Plus if DIR instructors are mounting compasses to their scooters, that really invalidates the entire standardization idea.

If I were using a scooter mounted compass I wouldn't be using in lieu of a wrist mount. It's just a more convenient option that may have not been around when JJ was writing the standards.

Try reposting this question on DIRxplorers or another (DIR) board. They may have a more thorough answer. I know a couple GUE instructors follow DIRx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If compass on the right can cause interference, why are there instructors that mount the compass to their DPV? I would think that would cause interference as well.

It's a good point. I'm telling you what he literally wrote. I'm not telling you he was right, or that the logic still applies with respect to modern scooters.

Truth be known, it could have been a gut feeling or maybe he had a "noisy" scooter. Remember, this whole thing emerged in the mid 90's and some things have changed since then. Maybe scooters have better shielding now? Dunno...

If DPV interference does occur, I completely understand the reasoning ... but since DPV dives are a small % of overall diving, it seems silly to not have compass on the right arm as standard configuration, and just prescribe switching to the left for DPV.
Well... in an airplane you wouldn't change the location of the artificial horizon depending on whether or not it was raining outside and for the same reason (absolute familiarity) instruments always go where they go. No exceptions. This actually makes some sense regardless of whether or not you agree with the location of the compass or the reasons they give for it.

The one thing you need to understand about the DIR config is that standardization *is* a big deal in DIR. If you adopt the system, what you need to know is where the compass goes. Period. It doesn't even really matter why. It just goes there.

Creating a configuration that can work for every type of diving is a great ideal, but we already make significant changes such as tank size depending on the type of dive it is, so why should compass placement be any different?

Singles vs doubles is a lot bigger of a difference than switching your compass to the left arm when you go on a DPV dive, imo. Plus if DIR instructors are mounting compasses to their scooters, that really invalidates the entire standardization idea.

You kind of wrote those like it was meant to be one thought, but I see it as two.

The first thing you seem to be saying is something along the lines of, "why should it matter how I configure my gear" and the second thought is, "some instructors aren't standardizing, so why should I".

Let me start with the 2nd bit. There may be, over time, good reasons to re-configure. In theory (practice may be another thing) if the DIR configuration is changed, then it should be changed for everyone, all at once. This information should be propagated to the community by GUE instructors and nobody else. So in terms of "where the compass goes", all I can really tell you is what is written. Your GUE instructor will tell you if this is still the standard place for it, or if there has been a change over time. (things can change, books don't, and I'm not a GUE instructor).

On the first bit, DIR divers, for better or for worse, take standardization seriously. Jablonski cites "efficiency" and "safety" as the underlying reasons for complete standardization. It's true that the sky will not fall if you put the compass on the other side, but strictly speaking, it's no longer a DIR configuration if you do. All hard-core DIR divers accept the the need for absolute standardization as a fundamental underpinning of the system. This is something that you need to either accept or not. Many people do not. All DIR divers do.

R..

What happens when you borrow a scooter? Or have two?

The one thing you need to understand about the DIR config is that standardization *is* a big deal in DIR. If you adopt the system, what you need to know is where the compass goes. Period. It doesn't even really matter why. It just goes there.

It does matter why, though. If the rationale behind gear placement is, "well, just because," does that not defeat the entire purpose of DIR? If DIR's objective is to standardize the most efficient gear and techniques for the most efficient diving, then each gear choice needs to have clear reasons as to why it is the best option. Some choices, such as the 7' long hose, have great reasoning behind them. But compass on the left for non-DPV divers, when the entire reason for that choice is DPV-related, is just something I can't wrap my head around.

A DIR friend I asked just answered with, "It's like the military or religion. You can't question things, or it all falls apart. It's taught to wear the compass on the left, so left it is."

Fair enough, I guess, but doing something just because others in the group do it seems like a bad rationale to me if efficiency is the goal.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 09:38 PM ----------

What happens when you borrow a scooter? Or have two?

I never plan on diving a scooter, but if I did I would just switch the compass for those dives. People already make changes in exposure suit and tanks, after all. If someone can get used to the difference between a 3mm or a drysuit, or an al80 vs double 130s, I don't see how switching the compass would be a big problem.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom