Why the push for i3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point is, there is more room for weights in the Dimension i3.

I just checked, and this isn't actually true. The link gcarter posted for the size/lift chart on the AQ website puts the weight capacity of the Dimension at 30lbs total, 20lbs ditchable, 10lbs in trim. Zeagle's website shows the Stiletto has a weight capacity of 40lbs; 24lbs, with the ripcord and 16lbs in trim. There may be more physical ROOM in the Dimension's pockets, but I'm not sure I'd want to put more than the stated capacities.

Likewise. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I state clearly facts and opinions, distinctly.

Not the first post you commented me on, and I went WTF??? So I already had a chip on my shoulder, I apologize for that.

That said, the problems I had as a beginner diver with the i3 BCD is real, and I've seen much worse divers than myself, with more dives than I. Unbelievable landings from the boat straight down.

Can you imagine how scary it can be for a beginner to hear that non-stop air rushing into the BCD, because the current brushed you against rocks?

Having both and dived many times with both, my opinion is the i3 is for the accomplished diver, looking into a new BCD. Not for a beginner.

Fair enough, no harm no foul.

I agree 100% - the fact that there's more room, to actually exceed it's lift capability, is yet another flaw, in my opinion.

The stow pockets are too small because of the room the huge, ditchable, pockets each can hold 4x standard-sized weights that you put on weight belts. Yet I have a hard time putting a flashlight & writing pad in the same pocket. Had the ditchable pockets been smaller, then less room for "user-error".

Two pockets = room for 8 square weights (that can be fivers), and room for 4 square weights on the tank (that can be fivers).

I've only ever half-filled my pockets.

When buying the first time, I thought that the i3 was the coolest thing ever, until real-world use. I won't sell it though, there's a third diver, he's just turned 13 and is Junior-OW. So when the three of us dive, I use the bigger-sized Aqualung.

It would be interesting to get some DM's commenting on people they dive with at resorts & such, how they view the i3.

I just checked, and this isn't actually true. The link gcarter posted for the size/lift chart on the AQ website puts the weight capacity of the Dimension at 30lbs total, 20lbs ditchable, 10lbs in trim. Zeagle's website shows the Stiletto has a weight capacity of 40lbs; 24lbs, with the ripcord and 16lbs in trim. There may be more physical ROOM in the Dimension's pockets, but I'm not sure I'd want to put more than the stated capacities.

Actually Aqua-Andy, I can deny your assertion that the i3 has a "lot more moving parts to it". In fact, it has very few moving parts. The beauty of an i3 assembly is its simplicity. A lever opens a large schraeder valve and voila, air rushes into a bladder. The i3 controller is easier to work on than a standard inflator. Servicing requires a new schraeder valve, two o-rings a QD filter screen and new screw gaskets. It's faster, it's easier and it's more cost effective to service i3 controllers than standard power inflators. Regarding the cost, I encourage you to check in with your LDS. Labor rates vary from store to store.
@tphillipp: I believe you are referring to the part of the i3 system where the low pressure inflater hose connects near the lever. I think Aqua-Andy was referring to the "innards" of the i3 system -- you know, the engineering magic that enables all the dump valves to open up simultaneously so that the diver can exhaust air from the bladder while in any position underwater.

Thanks to gcarter, people reading this will be better informed for their next BCD purchase. They won't, like me, end up with TWO BCD's, when 90% of my diving is warm water, and the Zeagle Stiletto is A-OK for cold water, having "just enough" room to put up 30 lbs of weight in it. With 5 pounders.

On the Dimension, I can put 60 pounds with fivers. Which will be perfect when I go dry - meaning OW to AOW - plus other courses - which I might never take in my life.
@Mark Derail: When you make the transition to a drysuit, I guarantee that you won't ever need to load that much weight (60 lbs.) into the Dimension. Your weighting requirements will depend on the type of drysuit (neoprene vs. shell), thickness of undergarments, tank, and other ballast. As others have mentioned, you'll also have the option of separating your weight by loading some into your BCD (weight-integrated pockets, trim pockets) and wearing some on a weight belt or weight harness. There are some advantages to doing this.

Many of my drysuit-diving friends use steel tanks and stainless steel backplates which decrease the amount of lead weight that they have to carry. As one datapoint, with my drysuit + thickest undergarments + BP/W + HP100 tank configuration (for ocean diving), I use 16 lbs. of lead.

I think Aqua-Andy was referring to the "innards" of the i3 system -- you know, the engineering magic that enables all the dump valves to open up simultaneously so that the diver can exhaust air from the bladder while in any position underwater.
My Axiom i3 has two "cables" leading from the i3, one to each exhaust valve. You cannot feel the cable move when you operate the i3 lever, so it's probably a sheathed cable.

It's easy to be critical of this system because it's new. The cables do limit the ability to fold it tightly for packing but not really more so than my old US Divers Cousteau. But, on balance, I just like it. It's extremely comfortable and the i3 is easy and fun to use. Plus, it seems I don't bump into things, so I don't inadvertently inflate it.

Last edited:
I have put about a thirty dives on my I3 and it simply WORKS. I love the fact that there is far less clutter. I have even taught students in it with them having a traditional inflator and me using the I3. Result? Absolutely no confusion and perhaps a bit of envy.

Let's face it, there'a a mentality out there that says "if I don't dive it, sell it or teach it, it must be junk!" Like FDog, we should all have an open mind about gear. No, not every Ideavolution will be for you and some (like the two hose snorkel) can be laughable. The I3 was well thought out, well tested and it works well under every condition I have dived it in. If it had a crotch strap option, it would probably be my BC of choice for the majority of my diving.

I was skeptical about the i3 but after diving with the deminsion i3 it has become one of my favorite pieces of dive gear I have ever owned.

I would say that those opposed to the I3 have not used one. I have the Demention I3 and I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is very comphy and is as safe as anything out there. The only issue I have heard conerning an I3 failure is one where the diver broke the control lever. No biggie...just carry a standard power inflator in your save a dive kit.
Try one before you knock it. Ill never go back In fact my wife now wants one.

I'm pretty new to the diving world and have been reading up on the new i3 systems. I am considering buying one for my first BCD. Overall, everyone seems to like them for obvious reasons (convenience, more streamline etc...), but I am curious about the number of potential failure points as well. Anybody familiar with manufacturer warranty on them? Service on them if they do fail?

Without having seen one all I can say as far as failure points is from an engineering pov. For every rod and hose there are at least two. For each dump valve there is one for the spring, two for the pulls, one for each gasket. Also both dumps are said to operate at the same time. Why? Rarely do both dumps need to be open at the same time. Then you have the lever. At least four I can think of there.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom