Why use surgical tubing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven C

Reaction score
Why would anyone choose to use surgical tubing for your secondary necklace over bungee?

I personally did not choose tubing and I know my reasons, but does anyone out there use tubing? Why? Can anyone tell me why someone would choose tubing? What would be the benefit?
Just asking because I don't know.
R

surgical tubing is less abrasive on your skin. some people when doing a lot of dives can get irritated skin from the rougher bungee. personally i use a bunjee that i run through surgical tubing. i get the greater longevity of the bungee and the comfort of the surgical tubing.

Does water not get trapped inside the tubing?

Edited to say...

Do you wear an exposure suit? Would that not compensate for skin irritation?

RavenC once bubbled...
Do you wear an exposure suit? Would that not compensate for skin irritation?
If I'm not wearing a hood it's on the bare skin of the back of my neck. Guess it depends on your wetsuit/drysuit.

i you don't wear a hood the bungee will often end up being in contact with your skin. as for water getting trapped, why do you care? if it gets in you can also get it out. in my setup it's no issue anyway because the ends of the tubing are open and the water just drains.

OK Cool.

So using them together is what you are saying instead of separately. Right? Bungee for function...tubing for comfort? R

bungee is much safer, less prone to tearing and problems. tubing can deteriorate in sunlight and can then rip easily. Bungee ensures that the reg is always in the exact position you need it to be and can be adjusted easily to dip your head and grab the mouthpiect with your mouth without the need to use your hands. even if I am diving wet suit there is no abrasion or uncomfort, and I would certainly never sacrifice surface comfort for inwater safety

Thanks for your input. R

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom