Why visit DEMA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dartref

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can someone please tell me the benefits of spending a few hundred dollars in travel and hotel for a brand new divemaster to make the trip. I have never been, hear it is a great thing, but what makes it worth that much money?

dartref:
Can someone please tell me the benefits of spending a few hundred dollars in travel and hotel for a brand new divemaster to make the trip. I have never been, hear it is a great thing, but what makes it worth that much money?

In my personal view, there is absolutely nothing to be gained for a DiveMaster to visit DEMA....unless you value seeing some scuba gear you might not see in person at your local store. DEMA is a trade show. While you are important to the industry, you are not in the trade. I think you would get much more for your money by attending one of the consumer shows (there are several through the year) where the people are more atuned to talking with divers. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Hi dartref,

My personal view differs from Phil’s. I attended DEMA as a DM and found it worthwhile.
If enough of the seminars seen at the following URL interest you, perhaps it would be beneficial.
http://www.demashow.com/exhibitor-sponsored-seminars-4.html
When I’ve gone, I’ve been sponsored by a dive store and therefore able to get in some of the restricted seminars. Even without that, there were many open to general attendees. For those times when there was no seminar of interest, I wandered the exhibitors’ booths and learned even more.

Not all seminars are listed (yet). DAN also offers many good seminars. That schedule can be seen here:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=990

Ultimately, only you can decide.

As a DM, there's a few reasons to go to DEMA which may or may not be enough to warrant the trip for you. Mind you a lot of the original idea behind DEMA (trade show). is in purchasing from dealers and conducting business, which likely isn't applicable to you. However, these days there's a lot more about individuals, product announcements and networking.

Some people go to see what's happening out there, to find new product information, get their hands on cool gear you've not yet used. Other people go for the special offers, to get information on travel options and put together trips (there's a TON of travel).

And of course there's the networking aspect of meeting more instructors, shop owners, manufacturer reps and just hanging out with people from the dive community.
But the best reason to go is to meet more SB members. Ok, well, it's a good reason.

In all seriousness, there's a small segment going for a very specific business need a and a lot of people going just to get out and see whats going on and maybe snag a few deals and network. It's certainly not a mandatory event for a DM and there may be good consumer shows where you can meet more local people and see the gear closer to home.

I agree with Phil to a certain degree and with others to a certain degree. Gong to DEMA with out a purpose is money wasted. As a DM I have been twice with three years between visits. I go to some seminars like ones to maintain my PSI Cylinder inspector's qualification. I talk with specific manufacturers about gear questiions. During the last show I was looking at camera housings. As an independent DM without any affiliation with a dive shop I also look for key pricing on some items.

Now the one thing DEMA could do is to have the travel area slightly separate and let the general public into that.

When I do go I combine it with another trip to offset the costs. This time I spent $40 for airfare, $60 for a car, $60 for a hotel plus $40 to get in. Did I get $200 of benefits - not in real terms but it did help me make some decisions that I could not do as easily. Oh - I did meet "The Chairman of da Board" that was worth while - he was even generous and bought me a beer.

Umm, the SB mermaids !!

Lots of new items, but it's also a big meet and greet and a chance to share ideas with manufacturing owners all in one spot that you won't get anywhere else. I still say, it only takes one incredible meeting to make the entire show worthwhile.

Ohh yea, there's a guy named Pete you might want to shake hands with and say thanks for making this forum possible.

Thanks, these are exactly the types of comments I was looking for. If anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know.

I would say go since it is your first time. It's a great way to attend a few seminars on places you have never been but have heard about. You can look at new products. The exhibitors will not even talk to you if you do not have a buyers badge on but it does not cost to look. Enter all the trip giveaways! Take a LOT of business cards. It's a big show and there is a lot to look at and it's a great meet and greet opportunity and you can take the experience back to your staff at the shop, customers, and so on. Have fun!

Okay, between airfare, hotel, meals, (car?)...I'm looking at about $400-500 and can probably get a badge from the shop. But now I can only be there the first day. Probably not worth the cost for only one day. Maybe next year when it is in Vegas and I can stay at least 2 days.

You will be dissapointed if you can only go one day. I love the Vegas DEMA shows. I go for the whole week when it's in Vegas. It's just more, more, more!

Back
Top Bottom