Why waist buckle to the right side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am rigging my first backplate. I noticed DIR advocates setting the waist buckle to the right hand side. What is the logic behind this?

I'm diving recreational with a single tank (Worthington steel X7-100) in cold water with 7mm wet suit. I was using a Seaquest Balance BC with 14 lbs of lead - probably could drop 2lbs and still be ok.

My bp/w is a an Oxycheq 5lbs plate, Mach 5 signature 30lbs wing, and their adjustable harness. I plan to adding 4 to 6 lbs of weight attached directly to the backplate. Base on my scenario, what's my advantage by offsetting my buckle towards the right side?

Thanks in advance for any comment.

I'll let the DIR folks answer this for the official line but for me it's in order to have my weight belt buckle in the center for someone to get to if necessary. If you are not using a belt then perhaps it won't matter. I'd also suggest respectfully you reconsider putting all your weight on the plate. At least until you determine just how much you need. You may find that you need less than you think and putting some of it on a belt may be better for trim and in the event you would need to drop some weight. It also helps to keep the cannister or pocket in place when I'm not using other means(bryden buckle).

another reason is that it reduces the risk of the crotch strap pulling the buckle open if it's set to the right

another reason is that it reduces the risk of the crotch strap pulling the buckle open if it's set to the right
Im not so sure, if your crotch strap is adjusted properly it wont undo... plus i've never heard of the buckle needing to be to the right to be in configuration with DIR (though it can.. to secure the can light)... a lot of guys/gals wear two...the second, securing the can light from sliding off. But maybe I'm wrong.

The Crotch Strap is also a convenient place to stash the extra webbing from the waist strap. You have a D-Ring on the left side, so it would interfere with that if it was on the left.

Tom

Once threaded through the crotch strap, the belt buckle should be placed to the right of center so as not to get accidentally opened by the crotch strap.
Taken from here. :)

I would also assume it has something to do with not having the waist buckle interfere with the left hip d-ring (and stage/deco bottles) since those go on the left.

The original reasons for having the buckle all the way to the right were that it (1) secured the canister light in place, and (2) put the buckle in a more protected location to prevent it accidentally opening. Having the buckle in front is a potentially huge problem when scootering, as there is a tendency for the leash to catch on it.

The idea of using the second buckle for the can light was added in the late 1990s, but the buckle is still positioned on the right to keep the diver's front as uncluttered as possible (note: if you all think the arguments over "light cord over" vs "light cord under" are bad, you should have been around for the "one buckle" vs "two buckle" controversy).

Pardon my ignorance, but shouldn't a right side D ring keep the light canister from sliding forward? And could you explain how a properly adjusted crotch strap could pull open the buckle?

Thanks again.

Old lead acid batteries were heavy as such they were ditchable weight, so nothing permanent should block it. Not to mention this would be a pain to rig every dive. This is not an issue with new batteries.

There are several reasons not to have a right side D ring. First it’s not needed. There are already ample storage locations for anything one might need. Placing anything on that side “might” interfere with long hose deployment. Maybe it won’t, but why take a chance if it is not needed in the first place. Another reason is to keep the right side clear for scootering. Less drag, less chance of entanglement, etc.

As for the crotch strap, it is not fixed, so it could slide side to side, especially with a scooter. If it were to slide to the side and then be pulled forward by a scooter it could get caught under the buckle release. Moving it to the side simply protects it from accidently releasing and cause no additionally issues.

Always think was is the benefit vs. the risk?

Also, buckle on the left side would force the knife too far to the left, and the excess strap might interfere with the knife access.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom