Why waist buckle to the right side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are using 2" webbing for the crotch strap, it is fairly stiff which will eliminate concerns with twisting or tangling the crotch strap. Also, the loop in the strap just needs to be large enough to allow the buckle to pass through easily. With a 1" strap it is potentially a PITA, with a 2" strap it is not.

I understand that... but is there any concern that it makes getting out of the rig more cumbersome, or concern that it creates an entanglement in your own rig?

You will or your dive buddy will have a knife. If it becomes a problem, use the knife; problem solved.

So my question is, with the buckle on the right that means you are having to thread the buckle through the crotch strap. So if you have to take the rig off underwater are you having to thread the buckle back out through the crotch strap?

Maybe I am missing it but it in the pictures I have seen but it certainly seems that would be the case.

So why would you take off your rig underwater?

I didn't think my post would be deleted. Well, so much for keeping an open mind while sharing differences in opinion to promote safe diving experience.

To set my record straight, I was referring to the crotch strap and not the harness. In a panic induced situation, you have an added task of unlooping your crotch strap through the buckle. Try doing it in low/bad visibility and not having adequate muscle memory through practice/training.

Why not keep things simple as possible with a quick release? The less you have to fumble with something, the more time you have in executing your emergency procedure. Accidental death in high risk sport such as skydiving or scuba is usually caused by a chain of events. Breaking any one of the chain and you increase your probability of survival.

I didn't think my post would be deleted. Well, so much for keeping an open mind while sharing differences in opinion to promote safe diving experience.

To set my record straight, I was referring to the crotch strap and not the harness. In a panic induced situation, you have an added task of unlooping your crotch strap through the buckle. Try doing it in low/bad visibility and not having adequate muscle memory through practice/training.

Why not keep things simple as possible with a quick release? The less you have to fumble with something, the more time you have in executing your emergency procedure.
Don't tell me that quick release is more simple to handle then pulling waist belt (even with buckle) through crotch strap loop. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. It's not about open mind and sharing different opinions, it's about having knowledge and practicing and above all it's about thinking before stating something.

Sorry if this sounds offensive but my English is not enriched with soft skills approach. :wink:

Again, the loop is large enough and stiff enough that the buckle will pass thorugh with no effort on your part once the buckle is released.

A quick release makes less sense also when you start scootering. THe QR ends up competing for the same space as the scooter ring and worse, a broken quick release could potentially leave you stranded.

Sorry for the dumb follow-up, I am not trolling but everything I have read on DIR says that it is there for a reason... what is the main reason why the buckle is on the right?

It was posted earlier:

The original reasons for having the buckle all the way to the right were that it (1) secured the canister light in place, and (2) put the buckle in a more protected location to prevent it accidentally opening.

In what cases/scenarios has it been shown where having the release on the right prevents accidental opening?

If you see this as a dumb question, can I find this information elsewhere? And please spare me from the "because it is just the way it is done" response... obviously it is being done for a reason - I am just trying to understand.

Thanks!

Sorry for the dumb follow-up, I am not trolling but everything I have read on DIR says that it is there for a reason... what is the main reason why the buckle is on the right?

It was posted earlier:

In what cases/scenarios has it been shown where having the release on the right prevents accidental opening?

If you see this as a dumb question, can I find this information elsewhere? And please spare me from the "because it is just the way it is done" response... obviously it is being done for a reason - I am just trying to understand.

Thanks!

If the buckle is right under the crotch strap it could get caught in that and opened so obviously it needs to go on one side or the other. If you put it on the left it could accidently open when it gets caught in stage bottle rigging or during the process of clipping and unclipping stage or deco cylinders. Right side is a much 'quieter' area.

When scootering the crotch strap is frequently placed in tension and moves a bit; if the buckle is central or near to the center this movement may open the buckle.

On the contrary, if the buckle were to be on the left, it is in a position where is difficult to reach because of deco bottles.

Thus, to the right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom