Why waist buckle to the right side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for lost last two posts - definitely helps explain more of the reasoning. I have neither scooted or used deco/stage bottles so I would not have thought of these.

I didn't think my post would be deleted. Well, so much for keeping an open mind while sharing differences in opinion to promote safe diving experience.

To set my record straight, I was referring to the crotch strap and not the harness. In a panic induced situation, you have an added task of unlooping your crotch strap through the buckle. Try doing it in low/bad visibility and not having adequate muscle memory through practice/training.

So what instances are you thinking about where you would have to undo your harness in a low/bad vis situation?

Why not keep things simple as possible with a quick release? The less you have to fumble with something, the more time you have in executing your emergency procedure. Accidental death in high risk sport such as skydiving or scuba is usually caused by a chain of events. Breaking any one of the chain and you increase your probability of survival.

With reference to Diving, What emergency procedures are you talking about? Isn't something without a quick release much easier?

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Monkeseal and Da aquamaster,[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I understand your reasoning behind the right sided buckle release, and I respect your opinions. Is this a Hograthian or DIR principle? My crotch strap loop is not large enough for me to pass through my buckle - it's not a DIR strap and hence I prefer the quick release. Perhaps I'll give a standard crotch strap a try.

The problem I have when wearing the buckle to my right is that it digs into hip when I bent forward. I am a newbie recreational diver. I don’t plan on scootering, cave diving, nor will I use my buckle to secure a heavy light canister. [/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The light I'm using is a Niterider Blackwater 300, a cheop compare those use by DIR divers. However, I find it adequate for my need, and it has a built in belt clip. I can secure the battery pack to my right side with a D ring If I need to remove the battery pack, I can simply slide off the belt clip. [/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Also, I don't see any chance of accidental buckle release, because my crotch strap is looped securely behind my buckle through my waist strap, and it will not move. [/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The only compromise in a center buckle setup in my case is that if I clutter my front from dangling items, then it could pose a problem. [/FONT]

Well, if the loop in your crotch strap is not big enough to pass a buckle through, then you can't as a matter of practical fact put the buckle on the right side of the crotch strap. However, you did post this question in the DIR forum, where we use crotch straps with a loop large enough to pass the buckle through, and therefore the DIR answer would be to replace your crotch strap with one that will pass the buckle through.

I have a hard time figuring out how the buckle is digging into you -- It doesn't have to be all the way over on your hipbone, just a little to the right of the midline. My belly is still pretty soft in that region; I've never noticed any discomfort from the buckle.

The NiteRider light is a good first canister light, and if you're using a can light mostly to look in holes or night dive in reasonably good viz, it does fine. It's not focused enough to use easily for signalling, which is one of the primary functions of a DIR can light. But I started with a Nite Rider, and it worked fine for me until I upgraded. I still have it as a backup.

Your last two paragraphs indicate that you have received the information you asked for, evaluated it, and discarded it. That's fine! All of us have to make decisions about how we want to configure our gear and how we want to dive. DIR has certain guidelines, and those of us who have adopted the system also adopt and respect them. But other divers are free to make their own decisions. Hope this discussion helped you clarify in your own mind why you are doing what you are doing.

No D-ring needed on the right as we don't clip off anything on that side as it would interfere with deploying the long hose.

To add, you couldn't remove your can at the end of the dive without a lot of hassle what with having to remove a D-ring every time.

This is my 1st post in this forum and I recently purchased a bp/w, hog harness, and had my hoses reconfigured (7', necklaced backup, computer, compass switched to wrist mount, etc., Just makes sense!) I added a d-ring to the right side for my light (not a can). I don't cave dive (yet). My question is for better understanding: Since the can light is on the right side, and the long hose is routed under the can light, across the chest and back around, why would clipping something on the right d-ring interfere any more than the can light? Is it because of the possible dangly/entanglement effect of an item on the d-ring vs. the solid secure attachment of a can light? Thanks for any replies.

Someone better informed will probably chime in as well, but yes. There is nothing on the can light that can really interfere with the long hose. It just holds it in place. If you put something dangly there, it could get entwined with the hose.

I only dive a can light when I can sweet talk a friend into letting me borrow theirs :wink: Bob, Scott, you guys are GREAT! Anyway, I usually go with a hip-mounted pocket on the right waistband to hold my spool, wetnotes, etc. I have the XS Scuba pouch, but after about a year, it came apart at the seams. If I replace it, I think I'll go with another brand.

XS Scuba Cargo Pocket
Oxycheq X-Pocket, DIR and Technical, OxyCheq, Oxycheq X-Pocket

Tom

PS, I have talked with my GUE instructor about this, and he didn't have any problems with the pocket if you don't have them on your wetsuit. I'm still not sure what I'll do diving with my drysuit (with thigh pockets) when I'm not wearing a can light, but I'll probably take the pocket off and stuff the hose.

Since the can light is on the right side, and the long hose is routed under the can light, across the chest and back around, why would clipping something on the right d-ring interfere any more than the can light? Is it because of the possible dangly/entanglement effect of an item on the d-ring vs. the solid secure attachment of a can light? Thanks for any replies.
That's basically the reason - the can light is a smooth outer surface that is secured in such a way that it does not dangle or move. It will always be in the same location and orientation throughout the dive, and will not hinder or interfere with rapid deployment of the long hose.

With objects that are clipped to a D-ring (for example stage or deco bottles), there is the possibility of movement which can easily entangle or damage the hose. And of course once you get into scootering, any danglies on the right side will get caught in the prop wash from the scooter, which can create additional problems.

So DIR dictates can light on the right, stage and deco bottle on the left. There is no reason to clip anything on the right, so no need for a D-ring there.

Thanks b1gcountry and DIR-Atlanta. That's kinda what I thought. It seems reasonable, and when given just a little thought, it's hard to come to any other conclusion. This forum ROCKS.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom