Why was there a need for D3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get HOG. Don't look back :D

Care to elaborate?

As Chris pointed out, I do dive yoke, so if I went with HOG I'd have to use a yoke adapter. What would the HOG buy me over the EDGE.

Sorry for the hijack.

:focus:

So, as a recreational diver who is a warm water wuss, which reg set should I be considering, the EDGE or the HOG? Their web site doesn't exactly clarify this issue.

Sometimes the dealer websites do a better job of describing the products then the manufacturer does. :wink:

The EDGE Epic was the ScubaLab "Best Buy under $500.00" for 2013 The fact that it won that honor up against regualtors of much higher price really says alot about the quality. If the majority of your diving is vaction diving or even warm water local diving with tank having yoke ype valves, the EDGE Epic is a great choice!

You could add an EDGE Escape Octo and an EDGE Precision Console for a great, low cost package.

Care to elaborate?

As Chris pointed out, I do dive yoke, so if I went with HOG I'd have to use a yoke adapter. What would the HOG buy me over the EDGE.

Sorry for the hijack.

:focus:

When I get this question the best answer I can give someone is versatility without leftovers. What I mean by that is you can buy HOG ala carte from the 1st stage to the seconds and everything in between. Meaning hoses.

Edge regs come with std length hoses. 28 inch on the 1st stage and primary second, 40 inch on the Escape Octo. And for most recreational divers that is fine. But what if you want/need a longer hose on the primary or decide you want a custom set up with say a 22 inch on the back up to bungee and a 40 or 60 on the primary second? You can do that with Edge regs but you need to buy the additional hoses and then you are left with the standard ones.

What do you do with them? Sell em? Maybe. But more likely you'll end up like many of us who have them laying around for years sometimes in a box.

I like to find out what conditions my customers are most likely to be diving in and where they may see themselves in say a year or two. If only doing recreational warm water, or any water really as the Epic and EXP come in cold water versions, I recommend Edge. Same if they feel they only need a standard set up with no change in hoses.

If though you have tech aspirations or just want a tech STYLE rig then it's HOG. And the D-1 and D-3 both come in yoke versions. You don't have to have a converter. Though I use one when I don't have access to a DIN single since all 12 of my D-1's are DIN.

And while the Epic is a great reg if you are on a tighter budget the EXP is, in my opinion, just as good. Little different routing due to the reg body style and one HP port vs two but a great reg. It's what my GF dives and I would not have her using something I myself would not use for anything but my most demanding tech stuff.

Thanks everyone. I've decided on an Edge Epic with an Escape octo. Wife will get Epic without octo, she has air2 on her Pearl. She likes fancy gismos.

I appreciate all the input.

I wonder if there's any difference between an Edge Epic and a HOG D1? :hm:

Thanks everyone. I've decided on an Edge Epic with an Escape octo. Wife will get Epic without octo, she has air2 on her Pearl. She likes fancy gismos.

You have chosen wisely Grasshopper. :)

The epic does not have a swivel turret on the first stage.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Haven't had a swivel turret in 24 years of diving, I think it'll be ok. Besides, the 2nd stage swivel and the flex hose should be more comfortable than what I'm used to. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom