Wide Angle and Macro on same dive with SLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel Moncrieff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Everyone:

I recently upgraded from my G9 with dual Ike strobes to an Ike SLR kit for my Canon 50D. What I miss most, other than the more compact size is having to choose either macro or wide angle before the dive. I have been looking at the Sigma 17-70 macro lens and want to know if anyone has used this? I've heard that it does a very nice job with macro and OK with wide-angle going to 27 mm 35 equivalent with a dome port housing.

I'm currently using the Canon 60 mm for macro and the Canon 10-22 for wide angle.

Thanks,

Mel

yep, it does both macro & wide-angle. It does them both very very poorly. Minimum focal distance is much to long for macro. the 17-70 is simply not wide enough for good wide angle (also the corner of the images are pretty soft). So you can use the lens, but you will have MUCH better images if you use a proper lens for the particular style you are shooting. Sometimes I will have my wife lug a second housed SLR set up for wide-angle when I am shooting macro if we think there is a good chance for wide angle shots presenting themselves (this results in a mandatory nice dinner out).

Last edited:
I have it and think it's a great lens. Is it perfect, of course not, but it's pretty damned good and the versatility is worth whatever lack it may have.

My copy's plenty sharp where I need, it finds focus fast and its colours and contrast are very good. I love this lens - topside and underwater.

I tried to do a search here as there have been lots of examples posted but my connection is dirt slow today so you'll need to search for sigma 17-70 or 17- 70 etc in the UW photo area.

Gudge (and a few others) also uses this lens so you can add user names to your search to narrow it down, too.

O
Hi Alcina,

on which camera are you using Sigma 17-40 mm? I love those lens, especially for unknown dives as well on the surface. :D
Have same lens on Canon 450 D but can not find zoom ring nor the proper port.

You have any advice?

Thanks
Bernhard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom