Wide angle wet lens with PT-EP12 + 14-42 EZ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boy22ban

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to thank everyone in advance for any help.

I am trying to upgrade to mirrorless (from Canon S110). The budget for the setup (body, lenses and UW housing) is US$2,000, give or take a few. I already have a strobe, tray and arms. I also have wet wide and macro lenses.

I am looking at the EPL7 + PT-EP12.

After significant reading, I know and understand that it is NOT recommended to use a WA wet lens with the 14-42 EZ + EP12, and that I should ideally have a separate wide angle or lens + compatible dome. That is clear.

But, how bad are the results with a wet WA lens? Does anyone have samples to share? Is the cost compromise acceptable for a weekend-diver-photo-enthusiast-who-shoots-raw kind of a guy? I mean, I don't shoot for Nat Geo yet, but I have a feeling that when the "backscatter-on-clown-fish" look becomes artsy-cool, they will need my expertise :)

I already have the Fix UWL28M52 wide angle wet lens (which I believe is similar to the Uwl-04). I accept that it will not produce the best results used with the 14-42 EZ kit lens and EP12, but I'm thinking that it just *might* be acceptable for the meantime (until I am able to afford a Samyang 7.5 FE + Athena dome -- both which are currently out of budget).

If the results are *really* bad, I'd rather get an EPL5 2-lens bundle (for only $400!) so I can use a 9-18 on the standard flat port.

Last edited:
Hi I'm not going to answer your wet lens question, but instead give you some other related info. First, the 14-42 EZ is not the kit lens for the EPL7. That lens is the longer 14-42 II. In other words, if you buy a complete EPL7 with lens, it comes with the 14-42 II. If you really want the 14-42EZ you would buy the body only and the lens separately. You should price that out, because it is much higher than buying the II as a kit. Now, the II lens is longer and does not fit in the flat port that comes with the PT-EP12. So: if you want to use the flat port: you need the EZ. However, a better choice is to buy the EPL7 with the II kit lens, and the Zen 100 dome. Now, you are all set for the 9-18 as well. Put on the dome and never use the flat port.Second: I have had both the EPL5 and the EPL7. The 7 is a nice, but minor upgrade from the 5 (specifically ISO 100 available, built in wifi, a few other things). The 5 or the 7 are a huge upgrade over the 2 (specifically autofocus speed is fantastic on both over the 2, amongst other things). So: If you are able to buy a EPL5 with kit lens (the same II lens as the EPL7 by the way) for a low price: the housing for the EPL5 accomodates the II kit lens out of the box. Now you can buy the 9-18 lens as well, and OK, it's not perfect without the Zen dome, but if you are on a budget it works, buy the dome later. There are some places selling EPL5 with the II lens and housing all together for around $750 total. What a deal.Hope that helps. By the way, you will be very happy with either the EPL5 or EPL7. They are great cameras for u/w use.Gareth

Thanks for this Gareth.

The 7 is a nice, but minor upgrade from the 5 (specifically ISO 100 available, built in wifi, a few other things).
Did you find focus peaking any useful at all?

There are some places selling EPL5 with the II lens and housing all together for around $750 total. What a deal.
wow, really?! Are these online stores?

Look at this:
Olympus E-PL5 Camera and PT-EP10 Housing Bundle - Huge Savings | Bluewater Photo & Video

I'm sure it's available other places also, just do a search.
That is a great deal and not much difference from epl5 to epl7.
take the saved money, get the Zen 100WA port, the 9-18 & 60mm (I didn't add that up, probably more than the savings)
But, point is, get this take the savings and invest in lens, ports, strobes, etc.

Yes! This was the deal I remember, With this deal you can get the 9-18 (by the way : awesome lens above or below water) and the dome, and still be below budget!

---------- Post added August 24th, 2015 at 10:58 PM ----------

Also , the 9-18 is currently on sale

Wide Zoom - PEN and OM-D - Lenses | Olympus

perhapa even cheaper other places. I really recommend that lens.

Thanks all. Was excited to see the EM5 deal some time ago, I totally missed the EPL5 deal (I only saw a cheap 2 kit set in Amazon).

This changes everything...

Reply to the original question you can use the inon lens with the EZ lens. The lens itself is mediocre so results won't be wonderful but acceptable
The fix lenses instead will perform badly there is a post with examples from Paul duxfield on the scubatravel site

Last edited:
Thanks as always Interceptor. You actually helped me build my current setup (out in the canon forum), and I believe its upgrade time. I understand you have moved to mirrorless as well...I remember you talking about your LX7 sometime back.

I have both compact and mirrorless. Wet lenses like the Inon UWL-H100 do work with specific lenses and port but the fix is too small to perform well. I bought a Panasonic GX7 there are terrific deals out there and performance is good check my latest Flickr album

Reply to the original question you can use the inon lens with the EZ lens. The lens itself is mediocre so results won't be wonderful but acceptable
The fix lenses instead will perform badly there is a post with examples from Paul duxfield on the scubatravel site

This is exactly what I was hoping to see, thanks for the link! Would probably not have found that on my own.

I agree that there might be too many issues to be happy with this setup. I can see that not only is the corner sharpness an issue, but the general sharpness and overall IQ suffers. The sample shot, while accepting that it is a sized-down JPEG, actually looks and feels like a compact shot -- like from an rx100: and the setup for that is way cheaper than mirrorless.

Answer: The UWL28M52 wet FE lens on a mirrorless will take wide angle pictures, but I won't be happy with them -- and that's the real problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom