Wife Trouble.....help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice..
I guess my biggest question is .... Do all of you out there that dive with your spouse have a unusually high level of stress and anxiety over worrying about your spouse? I mean,.. I cannot keep my eyes off of her because I worry so much about her safety... Its not that she is a bad diver or dangerous or anything... I just worry so about her so much I find myself bound up in knots.... I guess this just subsides with time and practice??

Samson-

I think this is somewhat normal and was certainly true for me when my wife and I first started diving. On our first dive trip I made the mistake of telling her I wasn't having any fun due to worrying about her. Please note that she wasn't a bad newbie at all. This upset her terribly to the point she was ready to swear off diving altogether. She came to her senses though and told me to knock it off and worry more about fine tuning my own skills. I think it helped that she knew I was worried because I loved her. Nowadays she has to wait on me to get down to depth because I'm a slow equalizer and whereas she used to be the air hog I now claim that crown. Hang in there and it will get better.

...and there's nothing wrong with a slow dive either. :D

Everyone has different abilities Samson.

To force things that are unattainable disturbs one's peace and can lead to a bitter end.

I learned to dive in 2002 and spent the next three years getting my wife to get her cert. Finnally in 2005 she finished her classes, and did her cert dives. When we go overseas for diving, she wants a dive guide for herself, and will dive to 40-45fsw, butr locally diving with me she only wants to stay above 25ffw. I have told her there is a lot to see below 25ft, but she remains nervous. I have ~50 dives, and she has 37 dives.
New season onle 5 months away, hope to get her below 25ffw.

One more suggestion. Since your wife does fine in tropical waters, it might be her exposure suit. My first wet suit was a farmer john with jacket and hood with short skirt. I couldn't even breathe correctly with all that on and when I did move, the cold water ran down my back which made me more miserable.

Findally I bought an full suit with attached hood, a "semi dry" suit. It's really "semi wet" but far more comfortable and you don't get that river of cold down your back when you move.

Hope that helps.

I would suggest that you have her dive with someone else for a little while. She will start to feel your anxiety, and may be turned off diving completely.

If she does some diving without you, she will be able to become more accountable to HERSELF for getting stuck in current (etc), and may be more aware of the dangers that you are currently taking care of.

I just read my wife's response on here, and I agree with her that it's entirely possible that you can work through this, but you will have to work at it as we did. Things go so well now I hardly remember those times, but now that I think back, it was pretty frustrating for both of us for a while, and there was a lot of bickering and general bad vibes. In our case, I think we're both lucky that we are able to express ourselves freely, get things off our chests, and then move on without resentment. Usually. Like I said it was pretty rough there for a while.

Several things happened that made things easier. First, I finally got it that I was making things worse by making her feel that I was undermining her. I wasn't doing it intentionally, or even aware of doing it, but every little sigh or rolling of the eyes was like a stab in the back to her. I made a considerable effort to change my behavior, and it paid off. Second, we talked about our problem, and both worked together to find solutions. This one actually came first, but I put the other one first because I think it's more important. We both worked really hard to keep a positive attitude, and not let ourselves descend into another argument. Third, with time, more dives, and a lot of work on skills, we both became more proficient divers. At first it seemed like I had a lot more dives than she; now it seems like I only have some more dives. We dive a lot, so that didn't take that long; she's only been diving 6 months. When she started diving, she wanted to practice skills more than any other buddy I've ever had, so we both got more proficient pretty quickly. And that helped both of our confindence, and that made it easier to relax and enjoy the dive.

You mentioned your wife will "just float away in the current without trying to stop herself". In my opinion, that's what you're supposed to do! It's never a good idea to fight the current; the current is way stronger than you. However, you can be smarter than the current, and use it by knowing when to go with it. I dive in currents, but I put a lot of mental effort into avoiding physical effort. As for how this relates to diving with my wife, well, I guess I must have a lot more drag than she does, because we've been on dives where I'm finning full speed trying to stay in one spot, and I look over, and she's hovering there, practically motionless, wondering what the heck is wrong with me. I don't know what the heck is going on there, but I try to avoid those situations.

As for your wife getting disoriented and wandering off. That's bad. All I can say for that one is just keep trying, in a positive and supportive way, to emphasize the importance of situational awareness and buddy skills. Good luck to both of us on that one, my friend. Actually, this is also something that has improved a lot with more experience, to the point where it's not really a big deal anymore, just a little annoying sometimes.

Now, about your anxiety about her safety. The good news is I know for a fact you can get over this because I have. I think what really helped was that we spent so much time working on skills, like air sharing, ascents, etc. That was effort that paid off in spades.

Talk freely, don't hold grudges, work on your skills, be patient. You can do it!

Last edited:
I second all of the comments of fishwives...

personally, I have a very strong belief that spouses should never TEACH the other something that requires skill on the part of one person and patience on part of the other.

Golf, skiing, diving, raquetball/tennis, hockey, the list goes on.

My ex tried to teach me golf and it ended with an argument each time. I would get frustrated with my own abilities, he would get frustrated with "why I just don't do what he says".

I finally took lessons through a pro (yeah, my hubby was not a pro) and my game actually became better than his within a year.

Another story - went skiing in Calgary with a BF years later. Our first day on the slopes, he gets me to the top of this hill, I look down, blood freezes in its veins and I struggled the whole time to get down, the two of us quietly but obviously snipping at each other. THis older gentleman shows up behind us at the ski lift (yeah, I was being forced <grin> to go back up) and offered to take me down the hill.

My bf was grateful to get away, and even though I was still scared - I had NO intention of snipping at a stranger. We went down that hill 5 times together before moving to an even more difficult slope. After several hours, I was skiing comfortably down the slope. I was still slower (no zoom racing), but I could exit the lift, get my bearings, and head down the slope. The rest of the week - my BF and I had a great time skiing together.

Find a very skilled diver with great patience (maybe an instructor or DM) to dive with your wife. As she gets more comfortable and feels the confidence in herself, you will be able to enjoy your dives together.

Another thing to keep in mind - when you do dive, put her in charge of the dive... have her navigate, plan the course, the works. you should position yourself slightly behind her, forcing her to take the lead.

By taking the lead, she will have to take the physical attributes of the dive into consideration (distance and current) and will not "doze off" on you.

Good luck!

Even if she wasn't your wife, YOUR job as a dive buddy is to help keep her calm.

Up to that point, you were offering what could have been a legitimate interpretation of the issue, but this sentence revealed your illegitimate bias. NO ONE is responsible for the mental state of ANYONE else. Your statement paints her as an infantile damsel who can't manage her own emotions, or at least express them coherently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom