Will a wet suit loosen up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggtravel23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello guys,

I just received a Wet suit Scubapro Everflex 3/2 mm Back Zip Large Tall bought online,
I checked the size chart on their web site,
I'm tall 6'1" and weight 187 lb, I measured as well the chest hips and so on but you know I'm not a tailor so I could it get it wrong,
I was sure to be within the height and the weight so I went for....
I tried the suit on and I couldn't close without help of someone and it felt tight overall especially on the chest.

I read that the wet suit should be then tried in the water and that with few dives will loosen up and get more comfortable. is it true?

I'm not sure I'll be able to send it back and get a new one before me liveboard trip so the option is to buy a new one XL...:(

Any thoughts

Thanks

I don't have a real answer but couldn't resist the temptation to say that most of us tell people that they shrink with age (because we don't want to admit that we've been eating more than we should).

Ok I was able to measure myself a bit better,
My Height is 6'1" Weight 188lbs Chest 41in Waist 39in Hips 43in and as per size chart attached I should fit with LT size,
Is it normal that first try dry is soo tight? I don't want to try in the water as I will not be able to return it...

Please help me out :D:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_4166.PNG
    IMG_4166.PNG
    169.2 KB · Views: 243
Wet suits should fit very snug, the less water you have moving in and out of the suit the warmer you will be. When you get in the water it will loosen a good bit with the water in the suit. The suit will not loosen over time and use though. If you can close the zipper and breath than the suit is likely a good fit, they do take a little getting used to and are not comfortable until you get wet.

I hope that helps,

Bobby

I have a new Bare 5mm. I cannot zip it up myself. It does loosen up in the water. Then again, I know a number of people who can't zip themselves up.

The true test is the fit in water which will be a bit looser than dry because the water acts as a lubricant. However over time the neoprene gets less stretchable so if it's too tight when new the problem will get worse not better.

I agree wet fit is slightly different to on land (provided you didn't lube up) hop in the shower and see how it feels.

My standard is if I can breath easy and isn't constricting blood flow, it fits. I hate watching professionals talking people into bad fitting gear too tight or too loose.

Regards,
Cameron

Another thing I wanted to add is a tight fitting suit will be less comfortable but warmer and the opposite for loose fitting. For a 3/2 we usually use this in tropical conditions and the warmth part is not as critical as a for a 7mm, so I'd prefer slightly loose than tight, for my warm water suit. I hate wetsuits that are too tight.

My 2.5mm suit has a few inches of gap to get it to close (back zip) and I have to pay attention to the flap when zipping it but when I'm in the water I don't even notice I'm wearing it. OTOH my 7mm Farmer John also has a few inches and is very difficult to get it to close and is uncomfortable mainly because it is thick. IMO wet suits sorta move around and settle down when they get wet inside which increases my comfort to varying degrees. Since you are talking about a 3/2 I would guess that once you get in the water and move around a little it should be fine.

I have a new Bare 5mm. I cannot zip it up myself. It does loosen up in the water. Then again, I know a number of people who can't zip themselves up.

I need assistance to zip up from the low back to the scapules

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom