Will Liveaboards From Phuket Cut Single Supplement Charges If Last Minute?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would love to finally dive the Similan Islands or even some of the dive sites north of there but I've been told that the best dive sites are usually accessible only by liveaboards from Phuket. I traveling as a single diver and would prefer my own cabin. But I also know that single supplements charges tend to be 50 to 100% of double occupancy costs.

Just wondering if liveaboards , especially towards the end of the high season or during low season, ever have last minute spaces available and if so, will they be willing to waive the single supplement just to fill a cabin?

If the total cost for me becomes prohibitive because of the single supplements, I will have to do day trips but don't know if day trips are worthwhile there. I heard that day trips are possible up to the Similan Islands but not much more north of that.

During low season there will be no liveaboards, so that is easy. And yes, some boats do have last minute offers (generally 20% off).

Regarding private use of a cabin, to be sure you have to pay the single cabin surcharge. If you did not do that and a boat is full you'll share a cabin. If the boat is not full somebody can be in luck and get a private cabin, even though there was no surcharge paid. Just take into account that people who booked first will have the older rights and get priority with that. The later you book, the better you can know whether the boat will be full yes or no, but also the less 'privileged' you'll be.

Also, it happens much more that males are traveling alone than females. So a single female has a much better chance of getting a private cabin without paying ther surcharge than a male.

Daytrips to Similans and the sites further North are possible BTRW, both from Phuket and Khao Lak (with doing them from Khao Lak easier to organise and less travel time).

Daytrips to Similans and the sites further North are possible BTRW, both from Phuket and Khao Lak (with doing them from Khao Lak easier to organise and less travel time).

Would these same day trips to Similans and north points still be available during low season?

The Similans had a bad coral bleaching event in 2010 . The northern sites like Richeleu Rock were affected less....and some recovery should have taken place by now. Reaching the further away sites is easier by liveaboard.

My hubby and I both dive and also have pets....so occasionally one or the other of us will do a 7 night Red Sea LOB by ourselves. My husband has twice shared a cabin with somebody he didn't know and this has always worked out fine. On the other hand I have twice paid a single supplement and it has been amazing having a cabin to myself. I get violently seasick and should hate to subject any stranger to my discussions with the great white telephone in the bathroom

However the Similans boats do 4 dives a day and the landscapes are fabulous... very frequently turtles will appear after lunch , so you spend very very little time per day in your cabin. In case you can always keep on deck if you and your cabin mate don't get on....almost unheard of.

As for the luck question , we have never seen in the sixteen LOB s we have been on anybody lucky enough to get a cabin by themselves, having not paid a supplement. The good boats will have many many return guests and if upgrades are available they are first in line. Also with Facebook last minute spaces can be advertised quickly for free.

Hope this helps a bit and that you enjoy Thailand

There are some boats that have single cabins, these tend to be very small but the cost is lower than booking a double just for yourself.

During low season (mid may-mid October) the national parks are closed, so there are no trips at all unfortunately.

Wow, that's too bad. Then I guess the only tourists left from mid May to mid October are the non-divers then.

It's just the trips up to the Similians that are suspended. Day trips to the southern islands are still available as long as the monsoons haven't hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's just the trips up to the Similians that are suspended. Day trips to the southern islands are still available as long as the monsoons haven't hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, daytrips to the southern divesites and even the occasional liveaboard go year round. It happens sometimes we are limited in destinations, but that is quite rare.

This won't help here and now but the new Blue Manta boat being built now is planning to operate in Komodo, Raja Ampat and the Banda Sea. It will only be operational in October, 2015. The boat is spacious enough to offer single rooms at only a 10% premium. Just something to keep in mind one day.

(full disclosure: I teach for White Manta, the company building the Blue Manta)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom