Will my experience level make it hard to find a dive buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, look at the dive club option as well as the Beach Crabs and the monthly Wrinkles dives in SoCal. Always good ways to find a lo-cal (diet?) buddy.

I am newly certified, and I live in southern California. My friend introduced me freediving a couple years back, and since than I have always wanted to get my c-card but never had the time. My buddy and I finally went through the PADI OW certification together and completed it, but unfortunately he has encountered a medical condition that may temporarily put him out of diving.I am bummed, I have just purchased all my main gear including

You shouldn't have any problems finding a buddy. New divers are always looking for someone to dive with and experienced divers like seeing something for the first time, again. We have boring brown and gray and green fish around here, and I've seen them thousands of times, but there's always something special about taking down a brand new diver and watching them the first time they run into big bass or huge school of little fish.

Ask down at your dive shop. They can probably hook you up with someone.

Also, if you find anybody who's "too experienced to dive with you" they probably have their own issues and would be no fun to dive with anyway.

Terry

No issues finding a buddy. Drop down to the SoCal section, where several, including yours truly have posted our willingness to dive with new divers. When you want to go diving, just give me a PM. I often dive with newer divers and so far most of them have survived.

so cal is flooded with divers, good divers, hard core divers. Just ask us to dive with you.

Also check out divematrix, there are alot of locals hanging out there, heck send me a pm!

I'm also in socal....there are definitely a bunch of experienced divers who are more than willing to go out with new divers. I know this because I'm also a new diver. Oh, and dive matrix is a really good place to meet experienced divers.

I really appreciate the advice, I look forward to meeting some of you soon.

There are 3 dive shops in my area and between goin there and talking to staff and other divers, I have found plenty to dive with. I have not run into any problem of someone saying you dont have enough experience to dive with me. They seem to realize that they were there before and are eager to help a new diver. I have dove 30 times in last 2 months and loving every bit of it.

Head up the street a ways to Veteran's Park in south Redondo Beach.

City of Redondo Beach Website - Veterans Park

There are divers who will likely be willing to take you along pretty much any time during the weekend (including a bunch of people from Pac Wilderness, where I assume you did your certification). Don't expect channel islands quality, but the price and convenience is right. I'll go out with you assuming I don't have a specific dive plan (like deep, dark and long).

Also, stop by DiveVets. It's a veteran's park club. You can introduce yourself and likely set up a dive.

I live in Mesa, AZ and will be in San Diego October 10th and 11th. (Friday and Saturday). I am anxiously searching for anyone or any groups that might be diving from La Jolla Cove on those days. I'd love to buddy up with someone local, not loco. :D

I know a local dive shop here in Mesa, AZ that is planning a trip to dive from there on that weekend. I asked about it, but they told me it was sold out. I mentioned that I am just looking to join along for the dive. I didn't need lodging, or gear. I have my own gear and tanks and I am staying with my relatives already that weekend. I was already going to be there anyway and would love to join in, but apparently they are doing it to make money and said it was sold out.

I've snorkelled there about a year ago and dove in Mission Bay earlier this summer. All of my other diving is done in lakes here in Arizona. If you don't mind someone eager to learn and with little time, then I'd love to do a dive or two that weekend with a buddy who knows the La Jolla cove area locally.

PM me. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom