Will Oly C5050 take 120x 2GB Compact Flash card ???? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arenny

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 2GB CF in my C5050 camera right now and it works great, it is 60x

Has anyone used a 120x 2GB CF in their C5050?

I saw one for $99.99 and am dying to buy it!!!!!

Thanks!

What are the advantages of the CF cards over the XD cards. Right now I'm using 512mb XD cards and they're working fine.

'Slogger

Footslogger:
What are the advantages of the CF cards over the XD cards. Right now I'm using 512mb XD cards and they're working fine.

'Slogger

The only real advantage is the capacity. The biggest XD a 5050 can use is 512 mb, the biggest CF is 2GB (that I have heard of, larger may work). The speed is really no big deal when using the camera, the camera will only download to the card so fast and a second or 2 difference is not worth worring about, your strobe needs time to recycle and the camera needs time to refocus anyway. The big difference comes when you go to download the card. IF you are using a card reader, the faster the card, the faster the download. It's not worth much to me to gain a few seconds or even a minute or 2 on download. To me the biggest advantages of the CF over XD is physical size, the XD is a pain to handle and the cost. XD's are still a good bit more expensive than CF's.

I recently replaced my first 5050 with one from ebay. My older 512 cards (xD & CF) were fairly similar in write times. The ebay camera has a newer 512 CF and the write time is signifigantly quicker. I am not convinced the difference is all in the card, some 5050's may perform better than others, but the old xD is not as fast as the new CF in the new camera.

I shoot a lot of wide angle ambient where strobe recycle time is not a factor and the faster write time is a welcome improvement. When using my strobe I use MyModes with manual settings, including fixed focus, so I do not wait for AF, I wait for the card. My strobe is an Ike SS 200 at 1/8 or 1/4 power so I have no recycle wait, even on high continuous. After a 4 image burst, I wait, wait, wait, wait for the card to write. If the difference is 1-2 sec per image I am shooting 4-8 sec sooner with the faster card.

A 512 CF is 68 raw images (69 xD) so unless I do a 3-tank boat trip (Niihau) capacity is moot, and I still have the xD for backup. Herman may see speed as no big deal and capacity as the only real advantage but I see faster write speed as the biggest advantage. Even users with identical rigs and similar styles may see this issue differently.

Back
Top Bottom