Will start classes soon. Have a few ?s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportsmom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! I am planning on starting my OW classes in the next couple of months after a year of researching scuba and making sure I want to do it. Plus I've waited until my dh and ds (who is 16) got their certification. Any helpful tips or words of wisdom to spare? I am taking private classes so that I can set the pace and amount of time that I spend doing classes ( I do not want to be rushed and be told you have 2 days to get this). Also if anyone has hair tips that would be much appreciated. I have medium length bleached blonde hair. Thank you so much in advance. In case anyone is wondering why it took me so long to decide to finally take classes: I look into all aspects of anything before jumping in.

If you a diving in a place that requires a wetsuit, buy your own in advance or at least rent some to be sure you are comfortable in it. I did my OW in a rental suit they gave me that was a size too small and I could barely move. Get your mask and fins early on too and use them is a pool to be sure they are comfortable as well. If you are comfortable in a suit, fins and mask, you will be ahead of most of the other students in my experience.

And if you have several months, get the didactic info ahead of time and learn it now...one less aspect of training to be stressed out about.

CAPT HOOK:
Question of my own -what's dh & ds?

dh = dear husband
ds = dear son

I'm guessing, of course...

Goodluck with everything, I too reccomend buying your own wetsuit, mask, snorkel and fins, good personal items to have. Not sure why you brought up your hair, but if your worried about it diving dry a slapstrap, more like a giant neoprene strap to put around your head rather than a normal mask strap, it really help keeping the tangling to a minimum especially when doing drills with removing and replacing the mask.

hair tip: try wetting your hair in the shower before getting in the pool. your hair will absorb the fresh water from the shower leaving little room to absorb the chlorine water which makes my hair very dry and unhealthy.

Thank you for the replies. I apologize for the abbreviations. Dh= dear husband and ds= dear son. I plan on buying my mask, fins, and snorkel pretty soon so I can use them in the pool at the gym. And I plan on the wet suit before I go to Vortex Spring for my check out dives. I have already started studying my husband's book.

Yeah if you don't take precautions with chlorine in the water.You'll end up like I did.They used so much chlorine in the pool my class used that I looked like the Incredible Hulk when my hair dried.

Welcome to waterworld Sherry. There are very few things I enjoy more than diving. I hope you get as much enjoyment.

Hi Sherry! Number one; stop sweating it, many of us have done it and it ain't that bad....Number two, have the time of you life and Number 3, lock up your check book cause this can be an expensive life. Make sure what you want before you buy it. I've bought two complete sets of scuba gear. The first when I started diving and thought I knew what I wanted and the second after I had dove 6 months and knew the first set was crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom