Will start classes soon. Have a few ?s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Relax.
2. Breath Normally
3. Study and know your materials (The life you save could be your own)
4. Don't be discouraged by your Bouyancy in the pool. It takes everyone time to get it just right and some never get it.
5. Trust your Instructor (unless he cleans the regulators with WD-40 :) sorry couldn't resist)
6. if you don't have a pool avail then, Take a Bath and practice things that you think you may have trouble with, E.G. Clearing your mask. You don't have to hold your head in the water for this, just fill your mask with water and practice the way you would under water.
7. If you do have a pool avail go swimming with your Fins, mask and Snorkle. It really helps to be confortable with them.
8. Practice while snorkling Equalizing your ears. It really does help.
9. Relax
10. Relax
11. Have a good time Water is fun and alien may as well enjoy the UFOs that will not abduct you :)

You might get a kick out of reading the journal of my open water class. If I could get through it, just about anybody can!

GA Under Water:
5. Trust your Instructor (unless he cleans the regulators with WD-40 :) sorry couldn't resist)

Tell me you know someone that really did this?

Expensive? I haven't spent as much as for a bass boat...but almost. Wetsuit? 3mmm will probably do you down to 68 degrees, but 5mm will be warmer. 7mm will probably be too much, it is like putting on a 1/4 inch thick set of pantyhose over your entire body...if you need a 7mm, get a dry suit!

If you like gadgets this is the sport for you...have fun and remember, never hold your breath.

Mike

We were at Vortex last month...I wore a 7mm and was just fine...everyone with a 3mm almost froze....take a hood and gloves, you'll be fine.

I'd say to start with the 5mm and go from there. As you diving extends across seasons and sites a wardrobe is likely anyhow.

Pete

What Spectrum said ... and add a hood - it will make a 5mil feel like a 7mil without a hood in my experience (without all the downsides of a thick suit).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom