Will these booties work in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before our first trip to Bonaire last year, I had heard the suggestion to do the Hooker by boat to avoid the surface swim. A friend of mine told me that the best time to dive the wreck was first thing in the morning BEFORE the boats arrived, so we took her advice. There were only 2 other folks on the wreck when we dove there, and it was great having her to ourselves.

On our way out, 2 boats arrived, and more than 25 people splashed in after us. IMO it's not a big enough wreck for that many divers at once. On the other hand, we also felt that she's over-rated and we'll be skipping diving her this year.

And a suggestion that works for me. Wear a pair of socks in your booties. Sand will get into your boots and will rub your tooties raw!

Such a good suggestion......can't hurt to say it again. :D

On the other hand, we also felt that she's over-rated and we'll be skipping diving her this year.

I felt the same way. However, the second reef along that whole strip of sites was simply amazing. The Hooker was our last dive of the week and that was why....so we could do the second reef. I'm thinking the next time we go, we'll surface swim out to the second reef and drop down right on top of it. Then, check out the Hooker on the way back.

Before our first trip to Bonaire last year, I had heard the suggestion to do the Hooker by boat to avoid the surface swim. A friend of mine told me that the best time to dive the wreck was first thing in the morning BEFORE the boats arrived, so we took her advice. There were only 2 other folks on the wreck when we dove there, and it was great having her to ourselves.

On our way out, 2 boats arrived, and more than 25 people splashed in after us. IMO it's not a big enough wreck for that many divers at once. On the other hand, we also felt that she's over-rated and we'll be skipping diving her this year.

How far is the swim? The dive site book I have has no distances for any of the dives. We're actually looking at penetrating her so we will be there once at least.

I'd say it's about 150-200 yards, easy swim with sometimes a tiny bit of current. It's really easy to find since you simply swim toward the buoy and decend when you see the wreck below you. Normally at the southern sites you'd swim to the reefs underwater, but because of the Hooker's depth, you're better off surface swimming and dropping right in on her. At the end of the dive, you can stay underwater to return doing your off gassing along the way. :)

Hey scubamickey the hooker is just a tad over 100 yds, we reached it in 8 mins decending after donning flippers. I use the seasoft sunrays with my medium jetfins.

Never worry all the diving is easy, current is minimal compared to your currents in your area of diving, the water is warm enough to have just a 3mm shorty, even down to 200' I was warm as at 60'. Now aruba we had to wear are 5mm jumpsuits, and its only 100 miles away.

HAPPY DIVING

Hey scubamickey the hooker is just a tad over 100 yds, we reached it in 8 mins decending after donning flippers. I use the seasoft sunrays with my medium jetfins.

Never worry all the diving is easy, current is minimal compared to your currents in your area of diving, the water is warm enough to have just a 3mm shorty, even down to 200' I was warm as at 60'. Now aruba we had to wear are 5mm jumpsuits, and its only 100 miles away.

HAPPY DIVING

:D I'm cold in a 5mm in 80F degree water. There's actually very little current in this area. The tidal changes are one of the greatest in the world but it doesn't really affect the dive sites.
The Seasoft boots--A size 6 (men's) I couldn't get to fit in mediums past the ball of my feet. Barely fit the toes so I would have no control. I'm not sure why?

Thanks for the info.

Are you taking your 5mm to Bonaire then?? The water should be about 80-81 degrees when you're there.

I wore a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch last year (June/July) and the only thing that saved me from being more than a bit chilly at the end of the day was that I could (and did) warm up between dives. This year I'm taking my 3mm Pinnacle suit that has much better neck/wrist seals and allows far less water intrusion, so I'm anticipating to be comfortable doing 3-4 dives per day for 2 weeks straight. :)

Be aware that when I dive in 75-76 degree water in Hawaii I wear a 7mm full, so I definitely tend to run a bit on the chilly side. :wink:

Be aware that when I dive in 75-76 degree water in Hawaii I wear a 7mm full, so I definitely tend to run a bit on the chilly side. :wink:

I'll say, I wore a 2/1mm shorty in Bonaire with water temps of 79-80, 4 to 5 dives a day and I was fine. Cozumel this last year was 75-6 and I had to step up to a 3 full and was plenty warm.

To the OP why don't you try a set of Converse Chuck Taylor Allstar basketball shoes ( the old school canvas ones ), pretty damn slim ( for your fins ) and plenty tough in the sole and they are CHEAP.

Are you taking your 5mm to Bonaire then?? The water should be about 80-81 degrees when you're there.

I wore a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch last year (June/July) and the only thing that saved me from being more than a bit chilly at the end of the day was that I could (and did) warm up between dives. This year I'm taking my 3mm Pinnacle suit that has much better neck/wrist seals and allows far less water intrusion, so I'm anticipating to be comfortable doing 3-4 dives per day for 2 weeks straight. :)

I take my 5mm GoldCore everywhere. After 50 mins I'm cold and around 60 mins I'm miserable if I don't have it on. We were in Hawaii in January of this year and the water temps were about 78 degrees. I was freezing in my 5mm. Makes those 60+min dives hard to do for me.

I'll say, I wore a 2/1mm shorty in Bonaire with water temps of 79-80, 4 to 5 dives a day and I was fine. Cozumel this last year was 75-6 and I had to step up to a 3 full and was plenty warm.

To the OP why don't you try a set of Converse Chuck Taylor Allstar basketball shoes ( the old school canvas ones ), pretty damn slim ( for your fins ) and plenty tough in the sole and they are CHEAP.

I hardly move in the water since I never use my arms so I don't generate any heat. A 5mm is the only option for me at 80 degree temps for hour long dives at depth.

I've purchased the Henderson boots and they will work.

Back
Top Bottom