Will this gear work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess you (and I) could always do a 5mm semi-dry plus a stretchy 3mm shorty plus a hood and gloves. ...

Thanks for the advice! Our local shop is alittle limited in what they are allowed to sell. I think they carry Hollis, Oceanic, and maybe another brand I'm not sure. I would feel bad ordering from leisurepro but they have the best prices and a return policy for things that dont fit, but I dont know how else I can get the items I want and still support my small local dive shop.

So with the Jets in warm water are you saying that to keep neutral buoyancy i would have to add more weight due to them being a positive fin? And I will buy tanks, probably close to last on my list, but I'm eyeing a pair of Worthington X-7 120s.

The jets are negative; you have to put more weight above your midsection to counteract foot-sink. This isn't an issue in a drysuit since air between the knee and foot floats the feet.

I ended up going with a pair of Hollis DC1/212 regs for my doubles and am quite happy with them. I got a good deal on them 2nd hand from someone who didn't like their cold water performance. I haven't taken them colder than 75 (f), but they work fine. I also ended up getting a couple of regulator sets, the pair of DCI/212's for doubles (DIN) and a Mares single first stage with 2nd and octo (yoke) for singles. A bit more expensive, but less hassle than dealing with different configurations for different valves (and since I got both 2nd hand, didn't cost much more than just getting the Hollis regs retail). I do have a DIN-yoke converter and take both sets of regs with me so I've got a backup in case of failure on some boat trip somewhere.

Jets are a negative fin, so they tend to make your feet sink. With a dry suit, that's lovely, because dry suit divers tend more to have floaty feet. In a wetsuit, that can be a minor issue, requiring that you take some of your required ballast and put it higher on your body. If you aren't using any exposure protection and have little or no ballast, that's a problem, but if you are wearing at least a 3 mil wetsuit, you probably need enough lead that you can move it around.

If you are thinking of buying a backplate setup with an eye toward doubles in the future, I highly recommend you consider one for your wife as well. You won't hear that from your LDS, because most likely they don't carry them. But there are great things about backplate and harness systems for women -- there is no chest strap, so nothing uncomfortable in the front. There are no great big pockets for which a short woman doesn't have torso length. The size is infinitely adjustable so that everything fits as it ought. If the diver is narrow across the shoulders, the harness can be crossed behind the neck, so the straps will stay perfectly put. Your LDS is going to try to sell padding, and pink, and pockets; I can tell you from personal experience that none of those things will make diving fun, if the BC doesn't fit well enough to be comfortable, and hold the dratted tank stable in the middle of her back.

We're just in the process of certifying a young woman. She did a shop jacket BC on the first day, a back-inflate BC of her mother's on the second, and one of our backplates on the third. Guess what she's irritating the stink out of her mother by insisting on buying? :)

As you already know from your days in uniform, there's a lot to be said for having matching gear.less fumbling around with unfamiliar setups when you're panicked for example. If color is an issue, I believe you can find pink webbing for a backplate and oxycheq makes a pink wing.( or yellow,or green or blue)

If you go with Oceanic to support your local shop, LeisurePro is an Oceanic dealer now also. So you should be able to get the same pricing locally. Probably Hollis also since they own Oceanic - and Aeris.

I have an LTD. And travel to dive exclusively. One thing you'll never be able to do is carry it on...lol.

I'm going to buy an Express Tech - or maybe the Aeris EX or Aqualung Zuma for travel. One advantage the ET has is it will take doubles although it's not a hard backplate.

What others have said about DIN in the Caribbean has been my experience. I can name on one hand the shops that have DIN rentals on either Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Curacao or Roatan. Some are already banded/manifolded as tech doubles also. Dual posts so you'd need a 2nd reg. Even in SoFL most tanks are yoke on the boats/rentals etc. since that's what most vacation divers use/have.

Are you going to re-build the Hog's yourself? If so you need a technical dive certificate before you take the class.

I don't about mixing the Z-Octo in there also since now you have two places to take your reg for service - unless you have a local dealer for both. Scubatoys is one that could do both, they sell Hog and Zeagle.

So with the Jets in warm water are you saying that to keep neutral buoyancy i would have to add more weight due to them being a positive fin?
No, they are negative, and some people find that they pull the feet down, making it challenging to achieve good horizontal trim. That is not universally true, however. My wife has very floaty feet and, for her, Jets are ideal, in a 3mm or 5mm wetsuit. You have to determine what works for you. I find that Jets are a bit challenging for me when diving a 1mm or even a 3mm wetsuit, but with a 5mm, and double steels, they are great.
And I will buy tanks, probably close to last on my list, but I'm eyeing a pair of Worthington X-7 120s.
If you are at least 6' 0" tall, the 120s are reasonable. They are long tanks and are not for everyone. I am 5' 10" and have a couple of them and can make them work, but they are not my favorites. Alternatives would include 100s, 119s, or 130s, all of which are shorter (albeit fatter, in the case of the 119s and 130s) cylinders.

The only thing I would not have my heart set on is the mask. Only because you want a mask that fits. if it does great, but if not be willing to consider something else. And I would also caution against an integrated inflator if tech is in your future.

The jets are negative; you have to put more weight above your midsection to counteract foot-sink. This isn't an issue in a drysuit since air between the knee and foot floats the feet.

I thought they were negative...I always remember them sinking to the bottom of the pool when they got ripped off...but then again that was 12 years ago. When they come in I will shift some weight to the shoulders ensure they dont cause foot drag, if necessary.

I like the idea of getting the wife a BPW, they actually have a few at my LDS, but I'm not sure if they would recommend them for her, but they have 3 or 4 women on their staff all are either MD or MDC, so I'll let them advise her.

As far as the wrap around fitting, I used to have one that fit well, but it was an older version that had the purge valve in the nose. I would assume the shape of the newer ones hasnt changed that much. I will see how it handles, and if it doesnt fit...I'll try something else...maybe a Maui.

What would you recommend? Arent all inflators integrated in some way with a bladder?

Back
Top Bottom