• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Willamette River cleaned from electro scooters(!!), Portland, OR

Discussion in 'Training, Practices and Equipment' started by АлександрД, Sep 24, 2019.

1. АлександрД

АлександрД Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Multnomah Co Sheriff on Twitter
    MCSO’s River Patrol and Dive Team are clearing the “sea wall” on the Willamette River near the Hawthorne Bridge. So far, they have pulled 5 scooters from the river floor and estimate they will recover 15 more.
    D97hoElVAAAUeAF.jpg
    D97hoEuUwAAx63y.jpg
    The 1f6f4.png count is now at 9.
    D97oeuBU0AAjpUy.jpg
    Sergeant Dangler says the lights are still working on this 1f6f4.png It was recovered from the bottom of the Willamette River today! I wonder if it will still run?!
    D97v-kEUwAEg6A2.jpg
    Multnomah Co Sheriff on Twitter
    The team had to quit early because they needed a bigger boat!
    D-BWoQBUYAIanMQ.jpg
    MCSO’s Dive Team used their training days to go 1f6f4.png hunting. Here is the haul: 57 scooters/bikes in 2 days! The whole team did a great job removing these from our waterways!
    D-BWnRVUEAASYq2.jpg
    D-BWnRYU4AEEgYs.jpg

2. HKGuns

HKGuns Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Why are there so many scooters in the water at that location? Pretty much has to be intentional, which if the case, I maintain, people generally suck until proven otherwise.

3. Scuba-74

Scuba-74 Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Those scooters and bikes look like some kind of rentals, perhaps from a city program/network. My first guess was that people steal them, or choose not to return them and throw in the river instead, but I would still expect it to result in far fewer scooters/bikes on the bottom. So I suspect the actual rental company disposes of old/depreciated fleet in such a way.

4. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I haven’t yet given one of these scooters a try—they’re all over the streets here as in so many other cities—but doesn’t the company have a way to detect when a scooter has been left in an unacceptable location, and can then penalize the renter? They use GPS tracking, right?