Wilmington NC Early October 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilaDallas, I bet the Mega Ledge you mentioned is really the Meg Ledge? Known for fossilized Megalodon (shark) teeth?
In that case, the Tortuga Charters dives might work for you, at least for one day.
You might like this thread too:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/north-carolina/432761-meg-ledge-question.html

Seems like I always the one to do this but... are you sure you are up for a meg ledge? The dives tend to be deep, there is no wreck or real structure to follow and it is very easy to get lost or just lose track of time/gas, esp at those depths. Unlike Coz, these dives are unguided and you are on your own- unless you hire a DM. Unless you are very comfortable doing unguided, deep dives (100ft+) with a good likelyhood of having to do free accents from depths of 100ft+ you may want to reconsider the dives. I don't mean to be negative or question anyones ability but you need to understand what the dives entail. Are you comfortable hanging out and waiting in 6 ft seas with the boat a long distance from you? Unlike Coz where they motor around and pick up divers, the boat can not weigh anchor until they have accounted for all the divers so you may have to drift for a while before being picked up (which is one of the reasons for the SMB and by the way, you want at least a 6ft one and bigger is better). Alternate gas supplies (ie 20cf or larger pony) are a really good idea as well.

I am not going to be the diver that goes into anything with too much of an ego. I appreciate the heads up. I noticed the depth on that one, but was not aware of the lack of landmarks. from looking at the calendars from the charters we would probably do the ledge as our first dive and pay for a DM to show us around the deep and help us shoot our first SMBs.

Again, I appreciate the help, up to now we have been once a year resort divers. Again, this is why I appreciate the people on Scubaboard.

Seems like I always the one to do this but... are you sure you are up for a meg ledge? The dives tend to be deep, there is no wreck or real structure to follow and it is very easy to get lost or just lose track of time/gas, esp at those depths. Unlike Coz, these dives are unguided and you are on your own- unless you hire a DM. Unless you are very comfortable doing unguided, deep dives (100ft+) with a good likelyhood of having to do free accents from depths of 100ft+ you may want to reconsider the dives. I don't mean to be negative or question anyones ability but you need to understand what the dives entail. Are you comfortable hanging out and waiting in 6 ft seas with the boat a long distance from you? Unlike Coz where they motor around and pick up divers, the boat can not weigh anchor until they have accounted for all the divers so you may have to drift for a while before being picked up (which is one of the reasons for the SMB and by the way, you want at least a 6ft one and bigger is better). Alternate gas supplies (ie 20cf or larger pony) are a really good idea as well.

While Herman is correct on all counts, it still can be done very safely. The biggest hazard is "tooth fever" which causes divers to stop paying attention to their plan (time and gas). That causes more free ascents than not being able to find the hook. It also is the reason you will find reel line everywhere (sometimes with a reel attached): Divers realize they to not have the time and gas remaining to reel their line in, and abandon it on the bottom. Tortuga is a 6 pack, so we have way less cats to herd and you don't have to be in the water with 20 other divers, all with reel line out. We rarely do the deeper ledges, I like the 90' ledges. They are very productive and you get more bottom time.

This is how we do it: We tie the main anchor line to the ledge itself with a yellow lift bag on the chain that has "Tortuga" on it. The fossil beds are out and away from the ledge. Everyone runs a line out to the beds on their first dive. We try to fan out so lines are not crossing each other. I suggest running it out quickly on your first dive, then leaving it on the bottom and working your way back to the line that leads to the boat. On your 2nd dive, work your way looking for teeth out to your reel. Then reel it back to the line with at least half of your gas/time remaining. You can look while you reel. If you follow that plan, you will never get lost.

Here is a great video by Hal Helms that shows the whole process:
[video=youtube_share;U3bArY0y6n0]http://youtu.be/U3bArY0y6n0[/video]

Nice video James. OP, add a reel to your kit and you are set. Wished I didn't have commitments for that weekend, I would join you myself.

Every day is different in NC.

Did two dives today with Aquatic Safaris on the Gill which is 23 miles out and 90 ft to the bottom. Seas were 1-2 ft. Current was slight. Top water was in the 80s with blue water. Mild thermocline at about 40. Below that viz was 30-40 ft. Saw lots of life. Boat ride was about 1.5 -1.75 hours. Photos over on my facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/steve.campbell.5496683

Steve Campbell

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom