Win Some Lose Some

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty_6

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As some of the greatest stories ever told go, "There We Were."
Another member who wishes to remail nameless, (you will be named later) and I went to Venice yesterday afternoon. As with any dive that you should just pass on, it started with forgotten gear, frustation and the infamous Murphy along for the dive.

We finally get heading south from Tampa and have decided to save on some air and a considerable surface swim so we will rent kayaks, stow the gear and paddle out to the site, no worries. Gear is loaded, hopes are high and the weather is moving in, damn.:no

No getting comfortable in the small kayak laden with gear, oh well paddle on. Waves are getting rougher, no worries, be in the water soon. Get the spot, per se, luckily I have inflated my BC already just in case. Just in case happens, overboard I go, BC is on and I am getting ready for the dive. My buddy in the other kayak will wait to see if we are where we think we are when I come up. Anchor line in hand I descend, bottom is as rough as the surface and viz is deteriorating quickly. No dice. I surface, hemming and hawing.

Enter the infamous Mr. Murphy, the Torquemada of the deep.

My buddy looks one way and rolls overboard going the other. Gear goes everywhere. We recover the stuff floating and back in the kayak it goes. Alas, Murphy is just warming up. Said dive buddy is now bobbing up and down and is struggling with something. You guessed it, the BC that is already set up, weighted but not inflated. He is trying to inflate it before it sinks and he drowns. Did I mention the anchor line?

In the course of events, Murphy saw fit to get the anchor line around his neck. Yeah, this is about to suck. I grab my back up reg and he tries to take a few breaths. Although he is a new diver, he used his head and training and ditched the gear. Better to dive for it later than have a memorial service.

Anchor line is gone and so is his rig. As we are getting our :censored: sorted out I tell him I will be right back I am going for his rig. Waves are getting higher and current is getting stronger. I drop down, bottom out at 15' to find viz is now down to about 2 ft and the grass is getting churned up from the bottom. Viz is almost zero. I have been pushed about 20-30' away from where he ditched and cannot see much. Dive light on, no good, tuck it away. Time to start a pattern search.

About 10 minutes later and with no help from Mr Murphy I spot the faintest glimmer of yellow. Gotta love those brightly covered hose protectors on his rig. It was the only thing that I could see as the grass and bottom were in the blender. That $5 piece of plastic saved him about 1k in gear.

We swim the kayaks back to the shore, you guessed it here comes the lightning with a vengeance and the cool air that says, you are not getting off that easy. Suffice to say we must have been a sight right out of creature from the black lagoon. Covered in grass, weeds, sand and humility we get it all loaded and decide that dry clothes and food are in the immediate future.

Win some lose some. 11 hard earned minutes of bottom time. Better luck next time. Now go have a good laugh on us, myself and JRMFG17 (sorry bro' I aint going down alone on this one...hhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa).

Dive Safe All,

Scott

Wow what a story Bro. I have had days like that. I feel your pain. At least you got all your gear back and no one was hurt. You have one hell of a learning experience there. I think you should send that story in to Scuba Diving Magazine and they can publish it as one of their Lessons For Life series.

I thought what happens in Venice, stays in Venice? :mooner: Oh well, it's true, it was one hell of a dive. Unfortunately, my gear had more bottom time than I did. However, there was one good thing about this trip gone bad. We founda a pretty good All-U-Can eat Italian buffet. At least we can chock this up to a good learning experience. Isn't that why we make these shallow confidence dives, to learn? Thanks for throwing me to the wolves Scott. You're a real BLUE FALCON!!! ha ha...

J.R.

:11: and I thought I had it bad last weekend....

I don't think I'll be getting in a kayak anytime soon!

I'm not feelin the whole Kayak thing. There are times I think it would be cool to do but then there are stories like this. There is also the fact that I would pay hell getting my fat ***** back on the damn thing.

I'm not feelin the whole Kayak thing. There are times I think it would be cool to do but then there are stories like this. There is also the fact that I would pay hell getting my fat ***** back on the damn thing.

It was definitely a "snug" fit. I'm not too sure if I will be doing the kayak thing again either.

You know, about halfway through my work day yesterday I was wishing I was out diving. After hearing your story, my day at work is looking a lot better! :)

Thanks for sharing. And, more importantly, thankfully no one was hurt. And you got your gear back!

Glad you both survived to tell the tale... :wavey:

How much gear / stuff was donated to Davy Jones? :D

lol

Everytime something like that happens to me, it costs me some piece of gear... usually something that either has 2 pieces or comes in pairs... I donate half to Davy Jones and keep the other part to remind me of the adventure. :D

Dave

Ah yes, the toll was Scott and JR doing their aquatic rendention of Dance Of The Sugarplum Fairies for King Neptune and his court. So far all gear accounted for which means we have obviously missed something that cost .30 but will no doubt toss a monkey wrench into a future dive. And Mr Murphy will be there orchastrating act two, of that I am certain. Tickets go on sale next week, swimming room only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom