Winding up finger spools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a simple solution, just make sure it's your buddies job to run the spool :D

Ha Ha :rofl3:
I'll conveniently forget my spools next time we go out:rofl3:

Henry

Can you point us to one. I'm not a fisherman, so I have no clue what this is called or where to get one. I'm kind of lazy and just don't have much patience for rewinding all my spools after a trip, so the twist does get annoying.

Sidenote: They make mechanical winding devices that fishermen use to wind up their fishing reels after changing line types that accomplish pretty much the same thing (close, at least). If you're really interested in nearly perfect line wraps on your spools, without doing quite so much work, it may be worth checking with some local fishing supply stores. My father has one, and I've toyed with the idea of borrowing it on occasion, just to see how well it works.

Can you point us to one. I'm not a fisherman, so I have no clue what this is called or where to get one. I'm kind of lazy and just don't have much patience for rewinding all my spools after a trip, so the twist does get annoying.

I'll ask my father what kind his is, because I'm not turning anything up with a quick google search. (Or rather, I'm turning all kinds of junk that won't work up, but having a harder time finding the one I was thinking of.)

I did find two things that looked interesting, and potentially adaptable to our needs.

First, a handy device to pull the line off your spool using a simple power drill: Get Line Off Fishing Line Spooler This would go a long way towards getting the twists out if done at a low enough speed that you could un-kink the link as it flowed onto the bobbin. I suspect it would be pretty easy to DIY some sort of clamp that would then hold the spool onto the drill for reversing the process. Or , you could use something like this: The Smart Spooler fishing line winder (or a combination of the two).

Again, I'll post back when I hear back from my dad what kind of winder he has.

That fish line winder is the kind of thing I have in mind for re-winding spools. Imagine making some changes to the winder where the right hand cone (the one farthest from the drill) was replaced with some sort of backplate. The spool you want to wind is put on the cone that is captured in the drill, the backplate is then slid on to back up the spool which locates and centers the spool You could use it for a variety of spool sizes with no fear of the spool flying off of the thing.

That fish line winder is the kind of thing I have in mind for re-winding spools. Imagine making some changes to the winder where the right hand cone (the one farthest from the drill) was replaced with some sort of backplate. The spool you want to wind is put on the cone that is captured in the drill, the backplate is then slid on to back up the spool which locates and centers the spool You could use it for a variety of spool sizes with no fear of the spool flying off of the thing.

Yup. I can think of a number of ways one or two of these tools could be modified (without the need for superlative mechanical skills) to work for our needs.

Incidentally, I talked to my Dad, and the one he uses is no longer available, but I think it's similar to this one:

Clamp-On Line Winder: Fly and Line Accessories at L.L.Bean

Handy because it can be used without needing a drill.

Edit: Just uncovered several more winders similar ones to the one linked at LLBean, including a couple of reasonably-priced ones:

Bob Marriott's Fly Fishing Store - Product Catalog

And here I was just going to tie one end to a neighbor kid and then scare the crap out of him :wink: That unwinder is so cool. I just haven't found a way to attach my drill to the spools for rewinding. I guess I could pay the kid I just scared the crap out of to rewind it for me. Least I can do.

I'll ask my father what kind his is, because I'm not turning anything up with a quick google search. (Or rather, I'm turning all kinds of junk that won't work up, but having a harder time finding the one I was thinking of.)

I did find two things that looked interesting, and potentially adaptable to our needs.

First, a handy device to pull the line off your spool using a simple power drill: Get Line Off Fishing Line Spooler This would go a long way towards getting the twists out if done at a low enough speed that you could un-kink the link as it flowed onto the bobbin. I suspect it would be pretty easy to DIY some sort of clamp that would then hold the spool onto the drill for reversing the process. Or , you could use something like this: The Smart Spooler fishing line winder (or a combination of the two).

Again, I'll post back when I hear back from my dad what kind of winder he has.

And here I was just going to tie one end to a neighbor kid and then scare the crap out of him :wink: That unwinder is so cool. I just haven't found a way to attach my drill to the spools for rewinding. I guess I could pay the kid I just scared the crap out of to rewind it for me. Least I can do.

LOL

(This thread is starting to feel like it should be in the DIY section!)

93389.gif

An inexpensive bit like this (or similar idea) plus two plastic disks would provide a pair of pressure plates you could squeeze the spool with to hold it in place. Not as perfect as a "made for" solution, but it would certainly do the job.

Properly knotted?

Most of us who have been around awhile have knotted our spools every 5ft (safety) or 10ft (other spools).

Uses:
Measuring wreck parts (beam, length, height)
Guesstimating depth on a free ascent with a broken gauge
Knowing if you have botched a blind jump (gone too far so it must be somewhere else)
With knots every 5 feet you can recognize your safety spool line if you totally botch your lost line drill in a cave (looping back ontop yourself. Only safety spools are knotted every 5ft)

Overall, lots more veratile. Just one knot every segment, don't go crazy making 1,2,3 knot codes and BS like that.

Most of us who have been around awhile have knotted our spools every 5ft (safety) or 10ft (other spools).

Uses:
Measuring wreck parts (beam, length, height)
Guesstimating depth on a free ascent with a broken gauge
Knowing if you have botched a blind jump (gone too far so it must be somewhere else)
With knots every 5 feet you can recognize your safety spool line if you totally botch your lost line drill in a cave (looping back ontop yourself. Only safety spools are knotted every 5ft)

Overall, lots more veratile. Just one knot every segment, don't go crazy making 1,2,3 knot codes and BS like that.

How in the world do you do that with 150, or more, feet of line? How messy does it get tying all of those knots?

LOL

(This thread is starting to feel like it should be in the DIY section!)

93389.gif

An inexpensive bit like this (or similar idea) plus two plastic disks would provide a pair of pressure plates you could squeeze the spool with to hold it in place. Not as perfect as a "made for" solution, but it would certainly do the job.

I like it, but how would you keep the spool centered?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom