Winding up finger spools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of us who have been around awhile have knotted our spools every 5ft (safety) or 10ft (other spools).

Uses:
Measuring wreck parts (beam, length, height)
Guesstimating depth on a free ascent with a broken gauge
Knowing if you have botched a blind jump (gone too far so it must be somewhere else)
With knots every 5 feet you can recognize your safety spool line if you totally botch your lost line drill in a cave (looping back ontop yourself. Only safety spools are knotted every 5ft)

Overall, lots more veratile. Just one knot every segment, don't go crazy making 1,2,3 knot codes and BS like that.

I'm all for that. My reel is knotted... but I haven't gotten around to knotting my SMB spool yet, although it's been on my list of TTDs for a while.

I fail to see how having a "properly knotted" (clearly an optional thing, of course) applied to the original comment, however, at least, not in any meaningful manner.

I like it, but how would you keep the spool centered?

Pressure from the two plates would do the trick with a minor amount of hand-fine-tuning, and it would be easier still if you could use indented or hemispherical plates that dip in, in the middle where the screw goes.

)(---

^ spool goes in the middle

) spool ( --bit--[[[ Drill

[ end lame attempt at ascii artwork ]

Pressure from the two plates would do the trick with a minor amount of hand-fine-tuning, and it would be easier still if you could use indented or hemispherical plates that dip in, in the middle where the screw goes.

)(---

^ spool goes in the middle

) spool ( --bit--[[[ Drill

[ end lame attempt at ascii artwork ]

Not lame at all. It told the story. Thanks!!

I'm all for that. My reel is knotted... but I haven't gotten around to knotting my SMB spool yet, although it's been on my list of TTDs for a while.

I fail to see how having a "properly knotted" (clearly an optional thing, of course) applied to the original comment, however, at least, not in any meaningful manner.

I haven't knotted my reel. Not doing any kind of surveying with that for now.

If the spool line is knotted you can't get each and every thread to lay exactly side-by-side ever again right? As the DIRF assistant so rediculously endeavored to do...

Oh, of course, I do, too. I just don't spend the amount of time he does making each wrap picture perfect. You'd have to see it to believe it.

haha I think I hurt his feeling once, I walked in and with a big grin he had to show me his reel that he just rewound and I wasn't as impressed as he thought I should have been
"ah look at that"
"ahhh yeah thats a nice Halcyon reel..."
"but look how nice the line is wound on it"
"...yeah, looks like new"
stares at me for a moment "thats better than new" with a look of disgust he walks away

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom