Wing bladder size and suggestion for backplate/harness system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giovanni Giuriani

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,

First time posting here but I have been looking into buying a backplate and wing for the first time and have some questions so I thought some of you might be able to help me.

The first thing I’m trying to determine is what size bladder I’ll need. It seems that the most common size is about 30lb and some people say that’s plenty. I’m about 103kg/227lb and 186cm/6 ft 1 and would plan to use the system for temperate and warmer water diving up to a 6.5mm semi dry suit. Depending on the cylinder I dive with between 8/10 kg of lead. For this reason some people have said to me that I should go for a 40lb wing. So that’s my first question, is 30 enough or am I better off with 40?

Secondly if anyone has any suggestions for good backplate and wing setups that won’t break the bank I would greatly appreciate them. I’m looking for something compact and possibly with integrated weights.

I have been looking at the IST dolphin tech JT-40D, does anyone have any experience with it or with the brand in general?

Twinset or singles?

If twinset then 40lbs is more than enough.
If single then 30lbs is fine.

Twinset needs some lead, generally "V" weights.
Single needs a single tank adapter plus some weight pouches.

Twinset or singles?

If twinset then 40lbs is more than enough.
If single then 30lbs is fine.

Twinset needs some lead, generally "V" weights.
Single needs a single tank adapter plus some weight pouches.
I knew I forgot some key information. For now I only dive singles.

I knew I forgot some key information. For now I only dive singles.
Then it's the ~30lb one :)

Bigger wings are pointless as the wing's only used for offsetting the amount of "consumed or removed" weight during your dive. So a single of gas will consume ~2kg/5lbs. If you've a heavy SMB and reel then that needs compensating for. A wetsuit's squeeze too.

Smaller's more streamlined, thus easier to use in the water.

I've a Halcyon Eclipse for singles. Lovely wing. Use the same backplate and harness as everything else I use.

(On a twinset I use a Halcyon Evolve 40lb. Ditto, lovely wing...)

If you plan to put all your weight on the rig then get the 40.
If you plan to break up the weight and use a weightbelt then get the 30.
Thanks, I hadn’t considered that, I don’t like weight belts so 40lb might be a good idea for that reason.

Then it's the ~30lb one :)

Bigger wings are pointless as the wing's only used for offsetting the amount of "consumed or removed" weight during your dive. So a single of gas will consume ~2kg/5lbs. If you've a heavy SMB and reel then that needs compensating for. A wetsuit's squeeze too.

Smaller's more streamlined, thus easier to use in the water.

I've a Halcyon Eclipse for singles. Lovely wing. Use the same backplate and harness as everything else I use.

(On a twinset I use a Halcyon Evolve 40lb. Ditto, lovely wing...)
I was looking at Halcyon BCDs, quite expensive but seem really nice. What do you think about what was said below about using a 40lb if I’m going to put all my lead on the BCD?

I was looking at Halcyon BCDs, quite expensive but seem really nice. What do you think about what was said below about using a 40lb if I’m going to put all my lead on the BCD?
There’s no need for a big wing in normal circumstances. The BCD is only there to compensate for the difference in weighting during the dive — the air/nitrox consumed and anything heavy you may remove during the dive such as a heavy SMB and reel, and the wetsuit compression. This will only be 3 or 4 kilos (10lbs). When on the surface you’ll inflate it to keep your head above the water.

In a perfect world you’ll do a weight check. This will be with all your lead required, the wing (and drysuit if using one) completely empty and the air/nitrox tank almost empty. When you exhale your head should submerge, inhale and the water should be just above eye level. Weights are adjusted accordingly.

Climb out, fill the tank and with everything else the same, you’ll sink with the weight of the air/nitrox. The BCD/wing will be used to compensate for the gas weight and any heavy equipment.

If you’re diving with a (heavy) steel cylinder, you’ll need less weight. You’d need more weight for aluminium tanks and even more for carbon fibre tanks (v.rare).

So a 30lb wing would be fine.

They’re very good wings and last a lifetime (okay, ish).

I’ve bought all of my wings second hand. Of course if you’re ever actually looking for one it’s never available!

You just need the wing. Backplate and one piece harness are cheap. If it has the word "Tec" written on it, laugh and walk away. Then buy a real technical harness/backplate which doesn’t have that in it for half that price!

It is a little hard to figure it exactly because the fact that you are going to a BP system will likely alter your weighting by itself. You also don't specify what cylinders you are using with your existing lead requirements.

Regardless of the specifics, there are two key metrics that need to be satisfied.
With full tank (or tanks: main + pony/stages/etc.):​
  1. The wing needs to be able to float your fully-loaded rig by itself (including any on-board weights)
  2. The wing needs to be able to float you in your rig (including on-board and/or belted/harnessed weights) in whatever exposure protection you are wearing (including flooded if dry-suited).

If you are diving with 10kg of lead (22lbs) and say a Faber FX-100 (8.5lbs) you are already past 30lbs negative, plus the backplate, cambands, D-rings, STA, knives, reels, spools, lights, etc.

Diving locally in a 7mm or drysuit with HP100 and HP120 steels, my 32lb wing was marginal at best for me in a quarry and that was with maybe 16-18lbs of lead. I would not want to do that offshore again. It is great for single tank warm-water travel. For local cold-water, I now dive with a 40lb wing for the extra margin. It is actually narrower than my 32, but longer, so there is little if any streamlining hit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom