wing for a giant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VooDooGasMan

Contributor
Reaction score
Tobin what size wing would you put on a 6' 4'' 340 pound diver, pnw diving and and say a steel 130, or double steels, 50/50 dui drysuit.

I am thinking a very large, but I am not knowing, what do you think.

Tobin what size wing would you put on a 6' 4'' 340 pound diver, pnw diving and and say a steel 130, or double steels, 50/50 dui drysuit.

I am thinking a very large, but I am not knowing, what do you think.

The same two criteria apply; the wing needs to float the divers rig at the surface with a full bottle and be able to compensate for the maximum possible change in buoyancy of the diver's exposure suit.

In cold water it's almost always the buoyancy of the divers suit that governs.

Your diver is a big boy, but that may not mean his suit is hugely buoyant. If a good portion of his 340 lbs is umm, well, let's say "bioprene" then he may not need a lot of additional insulation.

It's worth noting that personal buoyancy does not change with depth, bioprene doesn't compress, personal buoyancy will effect total ballast, but it doesn't need to compensated for with a BC.

Only those things that do change buoyancy with respect to depth need to be compensated for, and that's pretty much only the divers exposure suit.

Without knowing the divers suit buoyancy I cannot make a recommendation, but it's pretty unlikely that his suit is more than 40 lbs buoyant.

Tobin

I use 57 wings, I was wondering if that would be enough or more of a wing. not knowing suit buoyancy at this moment either.

Not sure how to answer except for how much weight to go under when he is in suit and what wearing for undergarment. Ill find that out I guess then put your numbers together.

I use 57 wings, I was wondering if that would be enough or more of a wing. not knowing suit buoyancy at this moment either.

Is this for single tank diving? A 57 lbs wing for single tank diving is off the charts. There really are not any exposure suits that are 50+ lbs buoyant.

Tobin

I worded it wrong tobin, Want a wing that will do both, as I feel he will be diving doubles for as much air he would be using(my speculation) but a 130 might be great for shallow dives.

also I am taking in consideration of weight intergrated + a weight harness. The guess so far is 55 pounds.

I have skill habit of always squeezing my wing from top to bottom during a dive to know exactly how much air in my wings and single rec wing to doubles classic wing, I never have much air in it, and surprising wet there is not much more.

To my concern is ok maybe dry suit failure or a down current, just some extra buoyancy.

So when he gets in pool with drysuit we'll have a close calc on weight needed to sink.

I worded it wrong tobin, Want a wing that will do both, as I feel he will be diving doubles for as much air he would be using(my speculation) but a 130 might be great for shallow dives.

also I am taking in consideration of weight intergrated + a weight harness. The guess so far is 55 pounds.

I have skill habit of always squeezing my wing from top to bottom during a dive to know exactly how much air in my wings and single rec wing to doubles classic wing, I never have much air in it, and surprising wet there is not much more.

To my concern is ok maybe dry suit failure or a down current, just some extra buoyancy.

So when he gets in pool with drysuit we'll have a close calc on weight needed to sink.

We don't make, or recommend dual purpose wings. The proper wing for doubles will be a different shape, and different capacity than the proper wing for single tank diving.

The jump from single to doubles is expensive, if one is to make real use of the doubles, and while the cost of a second wing is not trivial, it is a small part of the total cost of diving doubles.

Too handicap a new BP&W diver with the "wrong" wing for singles as they learn to use a BP&W is a mistake IMO.

Tobin

Very true tobin that is why I have four BP/W setups, sure I only need two but they are set up for wet and dry, steel and al tanks.

So another diver that only uses a classic for single and double, and I used classic for single myself before.

This is different as this fella needs a lot of weight. So far in pool with scuba pro s tec, swim suit he has a weight harness and takes 20# of lead to sink him. not sure when transformation in DS in pool comes in but he has 4 more pool sessions, stopped over last night after class at midninght and was just stoked and confident he can dive. Beat a 18 year old of 2 laps on a swim test the first night.

Very true tobin that is why I have four BP/W setups, sure I only need two but they are set up for wet and dry, steel and al tanks.

So another diver that only uses a classic for single and double, and I used classic for single myself before.

This is different as this fella needs a lot of weight. So far in pool with scuba pro s tec, swim suit he has a weight harness and takes 20# of lead to sink him. not sure when transformation in DS in pool comes in but he has 4 more pool sessions, stopped over last night after class at midninght and was just stoked and confident he can dive. Beat a 18 year old of 2 laps on a swim test the first night.

A divers "natural" buoyancy need not be compensated for with a BC, natural buoayncy doesn't change WRT depth.

BC's need to compensate for things that do change, and that's pretty much only the divers suit. If your diver is really 20lbs positive in his swim trunks he is unlikely to get cold very easily. That means his suit may not be very buoyant.

Natural buoyancy will change total ballast requirements, but if a diver is +10lbs at the surface in his swim trunks he will be +10lbs at 100fsw also, lipids don't compress.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom