Wing, Plate and exposure suit choices for new guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either HP100 or 120. I don’t have any experience with them so cannot say for sure. I’m tall so the HP120 is def a possibility.

I’m tall too, which was why I was considering the HP120.

Whenever you get to the point that you’re ready to upgrade tanks...buy (at least) two tanks at the same time.

I did that with my AL80’s, but did not with my HP100. There’s pretty much zero chance of me finding a matching HP100 in the event I decide to dive side mount or doubles at some point.

You probably won't need the single-tank adapter. Most backplates and wings have slots for the straps to go through which will secure the tank, wing and backplate together.

You probably won't need the single-tank adapter. Most backplates and wings have slots for the straps to go through which will secure the tank, wing and backplate together.

That’s how I ran mine with the AL80. When I tried to run it like that with the HP100...it was VERY difficult to line the tank up. When I’d go to strap it down (two straps)...the tank would shift just enough to annoy me once I put tension on the first strap.

Try it without the adapter OP, but don’t be shocked if you end up wanting (not needing) it to get the tank aligned correctly.

STA is an easy way to add some non-ditchable weight to the rig, as I'm sure would be wanted diving a 7mm wet suit.

Personally, I use an STA when I'm diving in colder water and don't in warmer water. I haven't found one way particularly easier or harder than the other, but having an option for bolting on some extra weight easily is nice.

SS back plate as well as single tank adaptor
Simple one piece harness.

If most of your diving is in warm water and you're planning to travel with gear, an AL bp is a little lighter and easier for luggage restrictions.

Some bp's need a Single Tank Adaptor (which just gets bolted on), some have a curve designed for a single tank. The single tank adaptor itself doesn't have any weight, but some allow a weight to slide into it, which is a very handy place for weight right over your torso to help you to achieve and maintain trim.

A 30 lb wing is a good choice for a single tank no matter what your exposure protection is. Generally, a 40 lb wing is for doubles. If a 40 lb wing is used with a single tank, it can trap gas making it more difficult to vent, be less streamlined, and there will be a larger bubble to manage, even if it's marketed as a single tank wing.

I have a Halcyon Eclipse AL bp and wing with 30 lbs lift, which is awesome.

I’m tall too, which was why I was considering the HP120.

Whenever you get to the point that you’re ready to upgrade tanks...buy (at least) two tanks at the same time.

I did that with my AL80’s, but did not with my HP100. There’s pretty much zero chance of me finding a matching HP100 in the event I decide to dive side mount or doubles at some point.
Why can’t you order the same model for sidemount ?

Why can’t you order the same mode for sidemount ?

For sidemount, the issue could most likely be overcome. For doubles...it wouldn’t be worth messing with.

Just ordering one online isn’t an option. It’s a used tank that’s no longer in production (Genesis/Asahi ST-100). It was in great shape, was O2 clean, and the price was right...so I grabbed it.

The big issue is that it has a non-standard valve thread size. Additionally, Its characteristics (ex. Buoyancy) might impact how I would trim out in the water while running a second tank of a completely different vintage and make.

Looking around online...I’ve seen a couple of them listed on one forum or another (the adds were years old though), but they seem to have pretty much dried up.

I just thought it was worth mentioning, as I’m sure that plenty of people only buy one tank at a time due to supply and/or budget constraints. If you’re buying current production tanks, this isn’t really an issue. If you’re looking used though...it’s something that’s worth keeping in mind before you scoop up a single tank when you’re thinking about doubles or sidemount diving in the future.

Just ordering one online isn’t an option. It’s a used tank that’s no longer in production (Genesis/Asahi ST-100). It was in great shape, was O2 clean, and the price was right...so I grabbed it.

The big issue is that it has a non-standard valve thread size. Additionally, Its characteristics (ex. Buoyancy) might impact how I would trim out in the water while running a second tank of a completely different vintage and make.

I once saw a Genesis doubles valves and manifold, but I missed buying it by a week. But I am always on the look out for a couple of the original valves as replacement valves. But the tanks were so cheap that the annoyance is worth it, as I got two for the price of the single new HP100 that I bought.

I once saw a Genesis doubles valves and manifold, but I missed buying it by a week. But I am always on the look out for a couple of the original valves as replacement valves. But the tanks were so cheap that the annoyance is worth it, as I got two for the price of the single new HP100 that I bought.

Yeah...that’s just it. I couldn’t pass up the price of the tank. I’ll just have to keep my eyes open and see if I can find another tank at some point.

Back
Top Bottom